Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Qs about LE topics

http://familysafefirst.com/cops-reti...=socialnetwork

This link came across my FB feed yesterday. I've been dwelling on number 4 all day. I know that the profession has bad rates of substance abuse, depression, PTSD, suicide, and other destructive behaviors. I know it takes a toll on families and relationships too.

How do I mentally prepare myself to stay strong and healthy as I dive into this important job?

Get this book and read it. Emotional Survival for Law Enforcement. If you can get to one of Dr Gilmartin's classes go!

http://emotionalsurvival.com/about.htm

ETA if I was Chief every recruit would get a copy and attend his class in the Academy.
    Last edited by Coyotesfan97; 04-29-2017 at 06:46 PM.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Ah, I was just going to message you about that because it popped into my head as I was typing this out. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post
    http://familysafefirst.com/cops-reti...=socialnetwork

This link came across my FB feed yesterday. I've been dwelling on number 4 all day. I know that the profession has bad rates of substance abuse, depression, PTSD, suicide, and other destructive behaviors. I know it takes a toll on families and relationships too.

How do I mentally prepare myself to stay strong and healthy as I dive into this important job?
    You can't mentally prepare yourself for this job. What you can do is accept the fact you will be a different person than when you started.

I can tell you the number one thing that helps me is having hobbies and friends that have nothing to do with law enforcement. Taking time off and doing "normal" people stuff keeps me grounded.

Emotional survival for law enforcement is a very good book and goes into more detail about what I mentioned. It was required reading in my academy.

Quote Originally Posted by PearTree View Post
    You can't mentally prepare yourself for this job. What you can do is accept the fact you will be a different person than when you started.

I can tell you the number one thing that helps me is having hobbies and friends that have nothing to do with law enforcement. Taking time off and doing "normal" people stuff keeps me grounded.

Emotional survival for law enforcement is a very good book and goes into more detail about what I mentioned. It was required reading in my academy.
    I've posted before about emotional survival for LE. It's a good book, short but really to the point. I normally buy one for rookies who come out and make sure they read it. It's good for spouses and children old enough to understand the concepts.

Another +1 for having a life outside of LE. Having non-LE friends and doing things that have nothing to do with LE is a good thing.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

As someone who retired last year after a full career in law enforcement in a busy metro area don't get too wrapped up in some of the stats but don't ignore the risks or destructive behavior. Peartree and VDM already gave good advice about friends and hobbies outside LE. I will say the same. I had auto racing and friends in that world that had nothing to do with LE and I still am involved and have those friends added to my LE friends. I have been happily married for 27 years in my first marriage,don't do drugs and only drink socially and then just a few times a year. I only know of 1 suicide in our department and that was years after retirement for that person. Very few alcoholics that I saw but that can be hidden for awhile. It is a small overall sample group but I think the rates aren't that far off from other stressful jobs if the person takes precautions to take care of themselves.

To echo what others have said, there is no way to mentally prepare yourself for the job on the emotional side. You won't know until you see a dead person or get into a really serious fight/car wreck/other traumatic event.

A great way to stay healthy physically and mentally is BJJ. You will expose yourself to a different culture, meet cool training partners, stay/get fit, and also learn some skills that will make your job much easier.

I know of alot of functional alcoholics in LE. They wouldn't define themselves as alcoholics, and most do good work at work, but go straight to the bottle and stay there almost every moment they aren't in uniform. BJJ is cheaper than booze every day.

User Tag List