Thread: Lee Shell Carrier Failure

Lee Shell Carrier Failure

Background: I have loaded approximately 4K .223 rounds on this same press, Lee Pro 1000, shell carrier and dies.

All the cases had already been vibrate cleaned with crushed walnut, ran through the sizing due to size and remove primer, trimmed for length, primer pocket cleaned and, if necessary crimp removed, case neck chamfered in and out, and the brass was lubed with Frankford Arsenal case lube. I was on round 700 or so out of the 1K I planned on making.

I was surprised, obviously!!, by the result. I automatically thought stuck case but, once I got the press apart to just the shell holder and the turret, the shell came out fairly easy. I did remove the decapper first. It might have been a combination of things that I didn't see as I had to remove many pieces to be able to remove the brass. It was the second time through the press for that case so I just can't see stuck case scenario. Also surprised that the whole carrier didn't come loose from the ram before the carrier gave up the ghost.

The recipe I was using is 55gn head with cannelure, mixed brass, 27.3gn CFE223, CCI small rifle primers at a COL of 2.200.

I emailed Lee at 9pm Thur, had a response by 1100am. They are sending me a new shell carrier. I was hoping for a pain-free email exchange and a new carrier sent but was expecting much less. I got exactly what I was hoping for. Only part I am disappointed in, is that I have to pay shipping but at least they didn't ask me to send the failed part to them, which is another thing I was surprised by.

Lot of surprising things going on here...[emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by H&KFanNC; 12-16-2016 at 05:58 PM.
    Using Tapatalk

Lee Shell Carrier Failure

Deleted due to double-post.
    Last edited by H&KFanNC; 12-16-2016 at 06:00 PM.
    Using Tapatalk

Wow! That's busted!

Glad to hear Lee is covering it.
    TANSTAAFL

Managing Partner, Custom Carry Concepts, LLC

Looks like pot metal but doesn't matter since they are taking care of it. Did this press need a lot of tuning to run right?
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Looks like pot metal but doesn't matter since they are taking care of it. Did this press need a lot of tuning to run right?
    Sorry for the long delay in reply.

No real tuning to run right. I have, over time, done a couple things to improve the function but it made ammo out of the box. The improvements were from researching (da intewebz) mods that people made. A lot of research was done before I bought my press. I reloaded for a year or so on a Lee single stage before I bought the Pro 1000.

Using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    They didn't want the failed part because your photos were pretty clear and it's probably not the first time they had that failure.
    Looks like a casting, not a machined part.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Definitely a cast part. Probably made with pot metal to boot!

My first real failure. Surprised it happened but glad it cost me no $$ to fix.

I almost finished up the last 300 rounds last night, on the new carrier. I ran out of primers and didn't want to wake the wife getting more out of the safe. Will finish them up today.

Merry Christmas [emoji319][emoji320]!!

Using Tapatalk

Glad everything turned out well and that Lee stands behind their products.
    #RESIST

User Tag List