Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Not So Blinding Revelation RE Left-Shooting Glock Gen4 G22

That's a great suggestion, and a great diagnostic tool that one can self-perform and get immediate corrective feedback on.

Best, Jon

My G4 17 has to have the sights every so slightly drifted to the right. My G4 19 is dead center. I don't get it, but I hit where I aim (Most of the time) with both so I quit stressing about it.

The need to drift the sights didn't particularly bother me, either, Slalom, it was after drifting (and after I'd confirmed a center-hold POA = POI with the drifted sight) when I continued to shoot to the left that I realized that there were other factor(s) at play.

Most of my Glocks (which are all Gen 3s, except for the G4 G22) didn't require sight drifting-but one of my G19s did, albeit not nearly as much as the Gen4 G22. Realistically, as long as the sight apres drifting remains in the sight dovetail, I can live with it. For whatever reasons, the Gen4 Glocks have acquired a reputation for seemingly inherently shooting to the left...I'm not sure if it's across the palette of all Gen4s, or more or less restricted to the Gen4 G22s.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 08-04-2016 at 02:27 PM.

One other thing is that way back in 96 I was pushing shots left with my issue Beretta 96FS in .40 s&w.

Academy instructor came up and I asked if he would drift my sights. He told me to fire it two handed but with my left hand as the primary.

All shots on the x.

Told me to switch back to primary right hand.

All shots to the left.

His words? "Quit milking the grip with your right hand. " followed up with either "idiot" or "rookie".......both synonyms in the PD world anyway. lol

I've found Glocks to generally be unkind to over-analytical thinking. The more I try to dissect them and "fine tune" any inconsistencies I have with them, the more they punish me with undesirable hits. Calm down, clear your mind, properly execute the fundamentals (grip, stance, sight package, and trigger control) and they'll hit dead center for you just fine.

My biggest hang up that I've ever had was when I dry fire enough to where I adjust my grip to where everything "feels more comfortable". This is a big no no as I've found it to be a deviation from "correct" more often than not and I'll get punished for it every time by unconsciously learning bad habits.

With Glocks, you're best off to "Just Do It" and drive on.

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    Jerry is a friend of mine, and I agree with what he says. For me personally, the front to back pressure is important for not pulling shots slightly left. I will add an observation that older Glocks are more slippery, and that can be a factor also. I find it easier to move shots left when using a well worn 2nd gen or 3rd gen without grip tape on the rear. The 4th gen guns stay anchored better, or the use of grip tape on the front and rear of the slicker guns definitely makes a difference in my long-fingered XL size hands.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    I've found Glocks to generally be unkind to over-analytical thinking....

With Glocks, you're best off to "Just Do It" and drive on.
    When it comes to working a Glock trigger, completely agree with this.

Two things, I talked with Dave Spaulding about this, as I shoot left also, only with Glocks. He stated he has the same problem and thinks it is related to the safety in the trigger and how it hinges as you are pulling the trigger. Secondly, the late Jim Cirillo, taught build your grip of your weapon from the trigger finger backwards. In that, put your trigger finger on the trigger where you want it to be, (empty weapon of course) then take it back to the holster, but don't loose your grip. Then bring it back out and see if your finger falls back where it needs to be, after doing that a few times you should be able to make your draw and get good finger placement for yourself. Cirillo states that he had short thick fingers and actually shot some da revolvers, with his hand more to the side of the revolver, and I think we all know how well he adapted.

I think my occasional left grouping is a product of how my hand interfaces with the grip when I pull the gun out of my duty holster. If I take extra time and make sure my sights are centered, I usually get hits where I want them. If I'm in a hurry and use a rough sight picture I find that my shots start moving left as I speed up my draw.
    If you're not going to learn to use the front sight properly, don't bother with it. If pointing the gun, screaming "Ahhhhh!" and cranking on the trigger is all you can learn to do, work on doing that safely. -ToddG

User Tag List