Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 9MM Automatic?

9MM Automatic?

Yes. Out there somewhere, there is a problem it might solve that makes it worth the switch. Nobody has found it yet.

Yes. Just like short-stroke piston ARs, .45 GAP, and full length 1911 guide rods, it's a solution in search of a problem.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

I am sure that I read somewhere recently that part of the reason for 40Cal's problems was that the case was not tapered.
    I will have to look for the quote because I can not find it now.

Wow, the things folks waste time on.
    Sounds like a stretched .380 Auto case. Is the web as thick and long as 9x19? Is case capacity the same? What problem does it solve that nobody has noted since the 9x19 first appeared in 1902?
    Next, they'll try to expand the case to be cylindrical like a 9mm Mak and put a very slight shoulder on the case--that will solve all our problems.

Intellectual masturbation.
    Shumba

Quote Originally Posted by noylj View Post
    Next, they'll try to expand the case to be cylindrical like a 9mm Mak and put a very slight shoulder on the case--that will solve all our problems.
    Actually, DWM took a look at a case like that during the development of the 9mm P from the .30. Collectors call it the 9mm Borchardt and it may be DWM 480.

https://forum.cartridgecollectors.or...cartridge/8412
    Last edited by Jim Watson; 08-04-2016 at 11:22 PM.

The father of them all is the 7.63x25 Borchardt.
    Mauser adopted it for the 1896 pistol, loaded to higher pressures, and the russians loaded it even hotter for the Tokarev.
    Luger designed his pistol for a shorter round, and using the 7.63x25 Borchardt as a parent case came up with the bottlenecked 7.65x21 Parabellum (actually the bullet is the same diameter as the Borchardt, .309").
    When Luger tried to market his pistol to a broader audience he recognized a larger bullet diameter would be desired, and he adopted the .380 caliber (actually about .355") since it was a fairly standard diameter. This, coupled with the 7.65x21 Parabellum parent case originated the 9x19 Parabellum case that we know, with the case body taper simply resulting from the parent case head diameter, the adopted bullet diameter, and the OAL constraints of the existing pistol magazine.
    Had he adopted a larger bullet diameter like the russians when they designed the 9x18 Makarov (.365") the case would be straight, which is theoretically better for magazine geometry. But probably a .365" bullet diameter sounded funny at the time, and that's why he went with .355".
    Last edited by TiroFijo; 08-05-2016 at 08:00 AM.

I saw that story when it first came out. It reminded me of the saying that went something like "In theory, practice and theory yield the same results, in practice it doesn't work that way".

Dude is trying to impress people with how awesome and smart his idea is, except he hangs his hat on "reliability".... when many/most/maybe all of the most reliable handguns and SMGs in history are chambered in 9mm Luger, and some of these guns are some of the most reliable firearms of any type ever built.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

User Tag List