Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sheriff Cancels Calibre Press Training After Public Scrutiny

Site Supporter
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/08/03...eds-claim.html

Detroit man bought 'arsenal' of weapons, talked about attack, feds claim

The complaint said Gregerson earlier purchased "an arsenal of weapons, ammunition, tactical gear and tactical training materials." It doesn't say whether Gregerson was planning an attack or why he was purchasing explosives. The U.S. attorney's office in Detroit hasn't elaborated.

In June, the FBI said Gregerson bought road spikes online that can be used to slow or disable vehicles. Other purchases included tactical training items, including handguns and dummy rounds.

"The purchase of training versions of these weapons makes it unlikely that the weapons were purchased for recreational use, such as hunting," the complaint states.
    Last edited by HCM; 08-03-2016 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Backspin View Post
    That should have been the 9th Circuit's opinion in Hayes v. San Diego.
    Doesn't matter what the 9th thinks, that's from a SCOTUS decision, Brown v US
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    So I'm still fleshing this idea out but I have an hypothesis:

A lot, if not all, of the objection to "militarization" and "warrior mindset training" comes from an inability of the masses to accept that the world is a dangerous place that contains evil people. These naive folks do not want to live in a world where the police need armored vehicles or patrol rifles. They only accept a level of equipment and training that is compatible with their world view. To accept that an officer needs a patrol rifle means that there is a threat in the world that justifies it and this is just too scary for a lot of folks. I think William Aprill calls it the Ostrich Effect.
    My take is that a lot of folks read about increased training for shooting and other "violent" skills, and assume that it will make the police more likely to use them. That's a flawed assumption, but understandable.

They're not making the connection that increased skill breeds confidence and reduces stress when confronted with a problem that may require a "violent" solution. This leads to better decisions, and REDUCES the odds that the situation will deteriorate to that level.

An example from another field that might be useful: I used to paddle whitewater and sea kayaks, sometimes in fairly hostile conditions. Getting good at rolling meant that I was much less likely to need to roll. As I stopped worrying about falling over, I relaxed, and was much better able to process everything else that was going on. Mastering the skill meant that it took up less of my attention budget. If I wasn't panicking, it was a lot easier to see the alternate route and take a better line.

But if folks believe the "If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail" model of behavior, increased combative training will always look bad.
    Last edited by peterb; 08-03-2016 at 06:38 PM.

User Tag List