Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sheriff Cancels Calibre Press Training After Public Scrutiny

Site Supporter

Sheriff Cancels Calibre Press Training After Public Scrutiny

It's tempting to blame the NY Times but the truth is liberals gonna liberal, this is a clear failure of leadership on e part of the Sheriff.

This is a clear statement that the Sheriff does not values the lives or well being of her Deputies.

Sheriff Cancels Calibre Press Training After Public Scrutiny

that the Santa Clara County (CA) Sheriff Laurie Smith has nixed hosting a controversial police-training program that elicited outcry from community watchdogs angry over its purported influence on the officer who shot and killed Philando Castile in Minnesota earlier this month.
    The agency was scheduled to host a two-day seminar in mid-August with the “Bulletproof” program by Illinois-based Calibre Press, which has been criticized for training officers to channel their feelings of being under constant threat into overly aggressive policing, with sometimes deadly results.
    Officer Jeronimo Yanez, the St. Anthony Police Department officer who shot Castile, underwent the training in 2014.
    Sheriff’s officials said they were already moving toward canceling the seminar this week when they were contacted by several Bay Area social justice groups, who pointed to a recent New York Times article that connected the Calibre training with Castile’s fatal shooting during a July 6 traffic stop in Falcon Heights, Minnesota.
    Calibre officials contend that they train officers in balancing serving as community “guardians” and then becoming “warriors” when they need to stop a violent threat to the same community.
    Law Officer Editor In Chief Travis Yates calls the decision another example of “spineless leadership in a profession that desperately needs real leaders to protect the men and women behind the badge” and that the description of the class is yet another example of lies put forward in an effort to tarnish a great profession.
    “Decisions are being made by so called ‘watch dog’ groups when the truth is, they aren’t watching anything. Did they observe the class in question? Did they ask questions or did they simply scream to the media in an effort to control what they know nothing about,” Yates states.
    http://lawofficer.com/2016/08/sherif...blic-scrutiny/

While this is a law enforcement event, it's got far reaching potential to affect anyone who trains behind a weapon.The same people who think 10 rounds in a firearm is 4 too many aren't going to look kindly on old white guys talking about "Quick Kill" techniques on YouTube.

If the training industry only had A+ folks this wouldn't be a big deal. However there's enough derp in that business to sustain a good half years worth of bad media attention. "Midlife Crisis and AR15- do you want THESE guys shooting near you?" ( camera cuts to hidden camera footage of .mil LARP participants mag dumping their ARs into a five yard target and missing).
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    While this is a law enforcement event, it's got far reaching potential to affect anyone who trains behind a weapon.The same people who think 10 rounds in a firearm is 4 too many aren't going to look kindly on old white guys talking about "Quick Kill" techniques on YouTube.

If the training industry only had A+ folks this wouldn't be a big deal. However there's enough derp in that business to sustain a good half years worth of bad media attention. "Midlife Crisis and AR15- do you want THESE guys shooting near you?" ( camera cuts to hidden camera footage of .mil LARP participants mag dumping their ARs into a five yard target and missing).
    Yup.

If the Philando Castile shooting actually happened the way that his girlfriend said it happened, that's a big if, and if the "if" was an overreaction due to the presumed presence of a firearm and a jumpy officer, Rex Grossman's Bulletproof Mind is very good training to help teach officers how to deal with stress and not overreact in those situations.

Most department mandated training, even decent stuff, should come with one earplug. Most officers just don't take it seriously and it goes in one ear and out the other. If someone with a time machine were to go to department sponsored training and give out Friday's winning powerball number, a lot of broke mofos would be showing up to work their next shift. In other news just because someone has been to a class, doesn't mean they learned a thing from it.
    Last edited by txdpd; 08-01-2016 at 11:37 PM.

A little stunned at the thread drift ... from Calibre Press to mid-life crisis, but ok.

This is (at least) the second hit piece on specific L/E training entities recently. The first I can think of was on Force Science and Dr. Lewinsky last year.

If youhaven't looked at the Calibre Press stuff in a while, might not hurt to check their site out and read their articles. People might be a wee bit surprised on what's there.

As for the cancelling agency, shared a table for a week with one of their supervisors at a school recently. The perspectives weren't pretty ... but that is no doubt impacted by the drama their jail has seen.
    Last edited by Erick Gelhaus; 08-02-2016 at 12:03 AM. Reason: mis-ID'd the paper

Vending Machine Operator
    Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night sweating from what happens when the New York Times/WaPo/HuffPo find James Yeager's YouTube channel.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Let's get real. As each year has passed, Laurie Smith has increasingly become one of the worst Sheriffs in the US. In fact, Laurie Smith makes Sonoma County Sheriff Steve Freitas look like a superstar... Additionally, in general Calibre Press offers high quality LE training--exactly the type of training LE officers need in order to remain calm and make nuanced, lawful decisions during highly charged, chaotic events.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    If the Philando Castile shooting actually happened the way that his girlfriend said it happened, that's a big if, and if the "if" was an overreaction due to the presumed presence of a firearm and a jumpy officer, Rex Grossman's Bulletproof Mind is very good training to help teach officers how to deal with stress and not overreact in those situations.

Now if Rex Grossman , the University of Florida QB and NFL journeyman is teaching it then yeah...might not be a good thing, but if it is Col DAVE Grossman then it probably would be good for them to be exposed to....
    Last edited by Randy Harris; 08-02-2016 at 01:21 PM.

So I'm still fleshing this idea out but I have an hypothesis:

A lot, if not all, of the objection to "militarization" and "warrior mindset training" comes from an inability of the masses to accept that the world is a dangerous place that contains evil people. These naive folks do not want to live in a world where the police need armored vehicles or patrol rifles. They only accept a level of equipment and training that is compatible with their world view. To accept that an officer needs a patrol rifle means that there is a threat in the world that justifies it and this is just too scary for a lot of folks. I think William Aprill calls it the Ostrich Effect.

While it has been a long time since I attended Calibre Press' Street Survivor, I can't remember anything that was not grounded in reality. A lot of folks lack a historical context for this. In the late 60's and early 70's, line of duty deaths increased dramatically. Using the same line of reasoning (best practices) that any other business would use, folks found similarities and correctable mistakes that officers had made that resulted in their injuries and deaths. Starting with Officer Down Code 3 (1976 IIRC) this body of knowledge was codified in a series of books and eventually seminars. Most of the "officer survival" training I've attended has focused on preventing these common, well-documented mistakes. And this isn't just a cottage industry milking fears to make a buck, the FBI's findings on officers most likely to be killed and assaulted matches up very nicely.

(The only thing that is shocking about this body of knowledge is how officers continue to make the same mistakes year in and year out. I've been in law enforcement since 1992. I was involved in our national field training program for 10+ years. I struggle to think of officers I've met who were too gung ho and ready to use violence too early. In fact, I have seen the opposite, far too many people who do not understand the dynamics of human conflict. They downplay the danger they are facing, they don't take simple steps to disincentivize assault, and they wait way too late to use force.)

What I find disturbing is that the agency is trying to hide the truth from its officers. It is making a deliberate choice to keep its officers ignorant so that it can be seen as "doing something."

I look at this like I do gun control. I don't care if you don't want to own a gun, I only care if you want to stop me from owning a gun. I don't care if you don't want to attend training that aligns your world view with reality, (I do think you're foolish if you don't) but I find it incredibly short sighted to prevent the people whose safety you are responsible for from attending. Especially when the reason is that you can't handle the truth because it's too scary and shatters your illusions of unicorn and rainbow kisses.

Mandatory meme:
    Last edited by John Hearne; 08-02-2016 at 01:29 PM.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Harris View Post
    Now if Rex Grossman , the University of Florida QB and NFL journeyman is teaching it then yeah...might not be a good thing, but if it is Col DAVE Grossman then it probably would be good for them to be exposed to....
    Meh, close enough. I'm pretty sure a guy who ascends to the level of mediocre NFL QB, which is still pretty high level, could teach a thing or two about operating under pressure. Getting smashed by a 260lb linebacker would be a once in lifetime experience for a lot of us.
    Last edited by txdpd; 08-02-2016 at 01:55 PM.

User Tag List