Thread: Scope mounting question

Site Supporter

Scope mounting question

I have a Remington 700 LTR in 308 (20 inch fluted factory barrel). I had a precision rifle shooting friend help me mount the scope. We used a beefy picatinny rail base and steel TPS rings.

I want to use that Rem 700 LTR 308 as a hunting rifle now versus a "precision rifle". I have read great reviews for Talley lightweight rings. I wonder why "we" put such beefy (heavy) rings and bases on rifles to begin with?

I suspect it has to do with material strength and potential abuse. When human life is at stake, a few extra ounces of scope-mounting metal is a small price to pay for enhanced reliability in dropping and banging the rifle around vehicles, terrain, etc. The other part of the equation (moreso an issue prior to larger maintube scopes having more internal travel) is a pre-canted (20 MOA for instance) base to get you more elevation adjustment and therefore longer range.

That said, I used Talley's when I build my most recent .308 out of a chopped-down (16") PSS because this is more of a hunting and less of "tactical" rifle to me (despite still having the utility of a TMR reticle and .10 mil turrets).

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

I have a Tikka that I bought to practice positional shooting.
    I took it to my first highpower match and found that the scope
    kept hitting me in the eye when prone.

I live in NYC so I can not have an adjustable stock for different position
    as was suggested by the highpower people. I am going to put a rail
    on it so I can mount the scope in different places for different positions.

They have banned adjustable stocks even on bolt action rifles?
    Last edited by MistWolf; 08-02-2016 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    They have banned adjustable stocks even on bolt action rifles?
    You are correct, the evil feature list does not yet apply to bolt action rifles. I forgot.
    I want to stay away from "evil features" in any case. I wanted this
    rifle to look like a traditional hunting rifle. That was part of why I bought it. The coach I had at the
    Highpower match in PA was suggesting I should get an AR with an adjustable stock like he had.

I do know that NYC has its own magazine ban, that limits magazines to 5 rounds, including
    tube magazines on shotguns.
    Last edited by nycnoob; 08-02-2016 at 11:46 AM.

User Tag List