Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Holster and Light for Glock 19

Quote Originally Posted by Steaz View Post
    What about the TLR's (which models?) left you unimpressed?
    I quit paying attention to them several years ago so they could have stepped up their game recently. The TLR-1 and whichever one has the built-in laser. The laser version was used by our SWAT team and they were always complaining about them not working reliably. That was on a mix of plastic and steel framed guns. The TLR-1's were on a few AR's on our squad and no matter how tightly they were installed on the rail they would fly off under recoil. The guys I saw this happen with were both squared away and not your typical LEO who just shoots whatever they're told.

I may try one down the road but have several X300's and they are no where near in need of replacement. In fact my first one now gets used and abused in classes and matches. I'm waiting to see how long before it does and I've been using it since 07 or 08.

I thought I had a pic that better showed the wear but this is the best I have for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay23 View Post
    I am going to take a low light class in September and I'm looking for a light and a holster for my G19. My 2 light options are the Inforce APL and Streamlight TRL-1 I do not want a Surefire. I'm leaning toward the APL but it doesn't seem like Safariland makes a SLS or ALS for a 19 with an APL and I definitely want a holster with active retention. As of right now I have no plans to EDC with a weapon mounted light. It will most likely be a nightstand gun light with the occasional hunting and or camping carry. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated please.
    I've been very happy with the Safariland 7TS series holsters. I've been purchasing the model for the Glock 17 for our personnel and they fit 17s and 19s with any light I've tried...Streamlight TLR-1, APL, and Surefire X300. At agency pricing you can't beat them. We add the Sentry for added security.

I've long been a Surefire fan, including the X300, but have switched completely to the APL due to the switch and size. It's much easier to activate from my shooting grip than the X300/TLR-1 butterfly types. The newest models of APL seem to be doing ok. I sent an earlier one back for battery drain which appears non-existent on the latest ones. They aren't as bright as the other models but are bright enough for handgun use.

I also had JMCK mold an IWB for me to fit the Glock 19 and APL. I wear it everyday unless I put on a duty rig, which is the 7TS.

My APL died after about after two 1 day pistol classes. So about 600 rounds. They were very nice on the phone and sent me a new one before receiving the old one back. It had the older style clamp which I liked, and neither of them flew off the gun (Glock 19 & 34). My local club has night matches and I've used both an APL and X300-A on my G34. I've accidentally turned the APL off at least once.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    The APL can be more easily turned on in the holster than other lights.
    Brought a buddy to a night match. His APL was on in his holster, so he stepped to the start position, drew his pistol to turn off the light. He hadn't yet been given the LAMR command yet and was DQ'd.

If you're carrying with a light IWB, my first choice is the APL. It's size wins. It's not XC1 small, but i'm not entirely sold on the XC1 either.. The Gen1s had some issues staying on the gun (the latch mechanism was neat, but not that solid.) - That issue has been fixed with the Gen2s.

If you're not worried about IWB carry, TLR-1 lights are solid. I like their switching better than the APL, and even slightly better than the x300's, personally. You said the single battery is a selling point on the APL, but 2x batteries in the TLR lights mean more lumens and/or longer runtime and you wont notice any extra bulk OWB.

It's also worth noting that Streamlight's CS has always done me right.
    Last edited by Armiger; 08-01-2016 at 03:58 PM.
    www.ASkydex.com

Quote Originally Posted by Armiger View Post
    If you're carrying with a light IWB, my first choice is the APL. It's size wins. It's not XC1 small, but i'm not entirely sold on the XC1 either.. The Gen1s had some issues staying on the gun (the latch mechanism was neat, but not that solid.) - That issue has been fixed with the Gen2s.

If you're not worried about IWB carry, TLR-1 lights are solid. I like their switching better than the APL, and even slightly better than the x300's, personally. You said the single battery is a selling point on the APL, but 2x batteries in the TLR lights mean more lumens and/or longer runtime and you wont notice any extra bulk OWB.

It's also worth noting that Streamlight's CS has always done me right.
    This much mirrors my feeling and experience.

I think if I were to run a WML daily, it would be an x300 model simply for the combo of track record and DG switch. Since I do not, I have been very happy with the TLR-1 and tLR-1 high lumen models. Streamlight is a very easy company to do business with.

I would also seriously suggest that if you do not carry a gun with a WML on the regular, you should not take the class with one unless it is a requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay23 View Post
    I am going to take a low light class in September and I'm looking for a light and a holster for my G19. My 2 light options are the Inforce APL and Streamlight TRL-1 I do not want a Surefire. I'm leaning toward the APL but it doesn't seem like Safariland makes a SLS or ALS for a 19 with an APL and I definitely want a holster with active retention. As of right now I have no plans to EDC with a weapon mounted light. It will most likely be a nightstand gun light with the occasional hunting and or camping carry. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated please.
    Is this just for the class, or to have handy down the road? I have an older TLR1 and an ALS holster that I could loan you, if you are interested.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I quit paying attention to them several years ago so they could have stepped up their game recently. The TLR-1 and whichever one has the built-in laser. The laser version was used by our SWAT team and they were always complaining about them not working reliably. That was on a mix of plastic and steel framed guns. The TLR-1's were on a few AR's on our squad and no matter how tightly they were installed on the rail they would fly off under recoil. The guys I saw this happen with were both squared away and not your typical LEO who just shoots whatever they're told.

I may try one down the road but have several X300's and they are no where near in need of replacement. In fact my first one now gets used and abused in classes and matches. I'm waiting to see how long before it does and I've been using it since 07 or 08.

I thought I had a pic that better showed the wear but this is the best I have for now.
    My X300 looks similar after riding around in a RCS Phantom for 7 years:

DSG Arms makes the Alpha, which I favor for a light-bearing pistol, if no active retention devices are needed. The Safariland 6360 works very well for me as a duty holster, and will probably remain my training and extreme-environment holster after retirement. The 6360 has both the ALS and SLS retention devices, plus the shield. Safariland has options, with separate model numbers, that is the same basic holster body, with fewer retention/protection devices, and different belt attachments.

I have extreme brand loyalty for Surefire weapon-mounted and hand-held lights, which is not the same thing as being a fan-boy. I had a run of bad luck with Surefire SL-20 and Stinger products, starting in the Eighties. As for other brands, well, I just see no reason to be any other brand's beta tester, when I know Surefire products have performed well for me.
    Last edited by Rex G; 08-06-2016 at 03:19 PM.

User Tag List