Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dave Spaulding's Check 360 - Scan / Assess

Dave Spaulding's Check 360 - Scan / Assess

Just watched this video on scan and assess techniques by Dave Spaulding. Not sure what I think yet...still assessing.

Member's thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoViVv2kuFw
    Last edited by Redhat; 07-31-2016 at 12:02 PM.

Seems logical to me. But I don't see how I can train on this technique with live fire in the range environments available to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ubervic View Post
    Seems logical to me. But I don't see how I can train on this technique with live fire in the range environments available to me.
    Can you work it into your dryfire training?
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Evertime I see a post about scan/access, my first though is the Pat Mcnamera video. Funny he starts with that one. Curious as to some the many experts/instructors comments as well. Some of the training I've done teaches a very similar tactic, although didn't include the hand up by the face. But it would make sense given DS experience and background.

Quote Originally Posted by Dismas316 View Post
    Evertime I see a post about scan/access, my first though is the Pat Mcnamera video. Funny he starts with that one. Curious as to some the many experts/instructors comments as well. Some of the training I've done teaches a very similar tactic, although didn't include the hand up by the face. But it would make sense given DS experience and background.

I subscribe to his views. I wonder what the views are here to the idea all this S&A bullshit is geared for novices that may be building a proper mindset and SA conduct.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

After shooting a drill (at a "no rapid fire/holster draw" range) I would just look behind me to see if anybody new had come through the door that might complain, especially the owner.

A quick glance side to side isn't any worse than a 360 scan if you're just doing either reflexively without actually looking for anything.

ETA: Also I can't get enough of Pat mac's delivery. he could read me the manual to my coffee maker and I'd pay attention sure as shit.
    Last edited by ReverendMeat; 07-31-2016 at 03:28 PM.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Not to draw too much from a youtube video, but with sims when the intensity gets ramped up a bit, hanging a hand out in front of a pistol leads to a lot hands getting shot unnecessarily. I see a lot of hand up to protect the face turning into hand at chest height to not block vision. That leaves the hand in the line of fire if shooting from retention, or when transitioning to a two hand grip the gun hand gets punched out to the off hand. I don't know who to credit with the technique, but I like to keep my off hand where I would neck index a light and then drive my elbow up until my forearm is parallel to the ground. It works with a light, keeps my hand out of the way, and offers substantially more protection from a strike.

edited: Standard disclaimer. Just adding a casual observation, I'm not an expert and didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
    Last edited by txdpd; 07-31-2016 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Can you work it into your dryfire training?
    Yes. However, I very much prefer to have my dry work closely represent, if not exactly match, my live-fire work. So unsure at the moment how far to take this. Will experiment.

I lean toward disagreeing with a couple of his points. The idea that unknown threats would more likely to come from the rear vs the frontal area..I'll just say I don't know so both need to be checked. As to the best way to train shooters on this subject...I know that the term "square range" gets thrown around and poo-pooed a lot but I'd bet that is where the majority of training takes place so range safety rules may prohibit pointing the muzzle anywhere but down range...which may leave head movement only. I agree it can be a bad habit if students are just going through the motions without really seeing...the question then becomes, how to prevent that from happening?

FWIW, the way I learned it was look left and right then over my shoulder with weapon remaining on target. Instructors would hold up fingers and ask students to randomly identify how many...or do something similar.
    Last edited by Redhat; 07-31-2016 at 04:12 PM.

I'm a firm believer that movement should have a purpose. I see little value in shuffling back in forth in my few feet of space on a firing line so that I can pretend that I moved.

I agree that one should check the area around them, but I think it can be done without breaking contact with the one person that I know was trying to do me enough harm that I shot them.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

User Tag List