Thread: A discussion on words/labels and their positive or negative connotations

A discussion on words/labels and their positive or negative connotations

I had a thought while reading the Seeklander thread but the only thing I could contribute that related directly to that conversation is that I enjoyed the interview he did on ballistic radio as he seemed to be a thinker. What really peaked my interest is the negative connotation associated with "warrior" in the general public. We've also seen this in the law enforcement world with the warrior mindset vs guardian, which has a thread also. I thought it would be interesting to read different thoughts on this and other words and whether we have allowed society to change these from positive things into negative labels. I think the sheepdog stuff is stupid but warrior doesn't bother me. Any other words, terms, or labels are open to be discussed as well.

Warrior as defined on Merriam Webster:

Simple-"a person who fights in battles and is known for having courage and skill"
    Full-"a man engaged or experienced in warfare; broadly :* a person engaged in some struggle or conflict <poverty warriors>"
    Last edited by karmapolice; 07-31-2016 at 09:50 PM.

Warrior in itself is fine but it's been co-opted by the sheepdog crowd.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

back when I was a dumb boot, being called "warrior" was always a precursor to getting an ass chewing and was always used sarcastically. Somebody who refers to themselves as a "warrior" is hard to take seriously

No disrespect intended to Mike Seeklander, who could probably kill me with his thumb.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

There are plenty of positive applications for the warrior term. Mindset is one such application.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I think to use the term "Warrior" to apply to a group of individuals, said group of individuals has to do more than just pay a monthly fee and read/watch content.

I have no problem with the term, I have a problem with the context with which it's used.

Same thing with the coin. Challenge coins are usually given for accomplishing something.....
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 07-31-2016 at 10:25 PM.

There are no warriors anymore. The rise of the market economy has made real war between powerful equals so expensive that its mere suggestion is hilariously unattractive to any significant combatants. Which is why wars remain undeclared military actions that have been relegated to third-wolrd shitholes where there's nothing to lose and fought by the poorest members of first world nations. Third-world shitholes being full of people, it really should surprise nobody when the targets start to fight back otuside designated borders and rules that inhibit their survival. Afer all, if a bunch of foreigners came to your town and killed half your family, would you forgive and forget?

Maybe there never were any warriors. Just pawns and patsies and dupes and auckers seeking revenge for the last time the people they previously victimized got the better of them while the powerful play games moving imaginary lines around on the globe.

I'm more interested in how adverse reactions to slurs only make those words more powerful. "Idiot" used to be a technical term, replaced by "retarded" and then "special" and "differently abled," each of which fell out of favor in turn. People are rightly diagusted by politically correct language. New words can't conceal contempt for long, if at all.

Tuesday, the amount of people I know who would punch you in the face if you said that shit in their presence begs to differ with your assertion.

Warrior mindset is a real thing. Watch Paul Howes video on combat mindset to get a good glimpse.
    It can be cultivated in some cases, honed in others.

The Samurai had this shit down. They used meditation

Native American cultures were much the same. Meditation

Spartans. Meditation.

Hmm... I think I'm seeing a trend. Or as a late Warrior would have said "in police work, we call that a clue"

Many in LE have seen the reality that they need to be prepared for battle at all times.

You want to tell Jared Reston he's not a warrior to his face? I wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    I think to use the term "Warrior" to apply to a group of individuals, said group of individuals has to do more than just pay a monthly fee and read/watch content.

I have no problem with the term, I have a problem with the context with which it's used.

Same thing with the coin. Challenge coins are usually given for accomplishing something.....
    I agree with you on all points, I should probably have specified that in my original post. It does cheapen those things when used in that type of context. I'm more interested in the negative context that people place with "warrior mindset". I abousletly believe it has to do with society changing or adapting social mores. It's interesting how certain ideals or labels ebb and flow with in the societal changes.
    Last edited by karmapolice; 07-31-2016 at 10:45 PM.

Site Supporter
    I just spent an hour trying to form a reply that would be honest but not make certain types of people raise their hackles. In the end I decided it wasn't worth it. Suffice it to say that I believe there are a lot fewer warriors than what some seem to think, and the only sheepdogs I know sleep in the pastures and stink to high heaven.

I don't really mind warrior, or even sheepdog... I get why some do though. If I understand correctly it usually has more to do with who decides the label applies to them and whether they are actually worthy of the designation?

I prefer the word; fighter. Even that word led to some discussion amongst my friends due to some disagreement over what exactly is involved in claiming the designation of fighter. I still like it though because it conveys my personal philosophy regarding all the stuff I do which is; I'm a fighter, and it's simply a fight. Not a gunfight, or knifefight, or fistfight... it's a whatever I need to do fight, and I'm been training my ass off for over 30 years to have a game wherever the fight wants to go. A fighter isn't hung up on winning or losing as a fighter is real familiar with the 'any given Sunday' rule. This leads to a mental state that says; I might not win, but it's going to be a life changing event for everyone involved. This also tends to foster an adaptive, and agile mindset because the fighter is not attached to any weapon, range, or tactic. There's a lot more to it but it would be a humungous digression/thread derailment.

One word I really detest is survivor. I don't really know why but I just don't like hearing people refer to themselves as survivors.
    Last edited by Paul Sharp; 08-01-2016 at 01:43 AM.
    "There is magic in misery. You need to constantly fail. Always bite off more than you can chew, put yourself in situations where you don't succeed then really analyze why you didn't succeed." - Dean Karnazes www.sbgillinois.com

User Tag List