Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Anyone tried Seeklander's American Warrior Society?

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    I think an easy way would be to leave positive reviews on iTunes if you enjoyed the show and share it with others. The information in the podcasts are pretty amazing and I'll listen to his interviews again and pick up something new. I believe he also does training that wouldn't require a society membership.
    He just announced his training for this year and it's stacked with big name instructors.

Idk how many people there are now but I am member #372 and I signed up a couple months ago. Your odds are pretty good to get in his classes. I also live in Oklahoma where mike lives and does all his training. The American Warrior training is also in Oklahoma. I hope to make it this year.

I think he would be better off without the coins and t shirts. But I get why he does it. It's unique. But I see why people are so turned off by the warrior thing. I hope Mike listens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Shot View Post
    "If they do that, then by his definition they are a "warrior"." No they aren't. I'll speak only for myself, it makes me IMHO a student trying to learn how to be a responsible gun owner, and mature adult (I struggle with that one)
    Okay, so you have a semantic disagreement with Mike over the definition of the word "warrior". You might be assuming I agree with his definition and am arguing for it. You would be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Shot View Post
    "For those who have actually listened to many of his podcasts, it is uncharitable to imply he is saying by merely joining his subscription website that they are members of some elite group of bad asses." I don't think I or anyone else said, or implied that in this thread. Again, speaking just for myself I'm uncomfortable with that descriptor as it applies to me. I've done nothing to earn it.
    Before I wrote that, I quoted JLW, who said "I don't think one can join a warrior society by a mere credit card payment"...

FYI, if you go to shooting-performance.com and enter your email address, Mike will email you electronic versions of his competition pistol and his defensive pistol books. They are both excellent. They both have detailed shooting/dry fire plans. The live fire portion of the plans is pretty intensive, as in 2 or 3 days a week at the range and several hundred rounds per week.

If you want to soak up a lot of his training philosophy, I imagine you would get a lot more out of completing one of his plans exactly as written as opposed to browsing articles behind the paywall.

I think Mike is awesome and seems to be a generous guy who wants to help people shoot better and be able to defend themselves more capably. I am also turned off by the warrior moniker and the numbered coin thing.
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

Quote Originally Posted by BJJ View Post
    FYI, if you go to shooting-performance.com and enter your email address, Mike will email you electronic versions of his competition pistol and his defensive pistol books. They are both excellent. They both have detailed shooting/dry fire plans. The live fire portion of the plans is pretty intensive, as in 2 or 3 days a week at the range and several hundred rounds per week.

If you want to soak up a lot of his training philosophy, I imagine you would get a lot more out of completing one of his plans exactly as written as opposed to browsing articles behind the paywall.

I think Mike is awesome and seems to be a generous guy who wants to help people shoot better and be able to defend themselves more capably. I am also turned off by the warrior moniker and the numbered coin thing.
    The books are great when they are free. The problem is that they don't tell you how to do the drills. It's just a list of drills. On the American warrior website he has the videos for every dry and live fire drill. It teaches you how to do the drills and what to focus on.

For example one of the drills is a turn, draw and shoot. As a new shooter I have no idea the proper technique on how to do that. I found that video alone to be worth the monthly fee. The way he explained the head movement and footwork was something I never would've known had I just read the book (which I did).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

I think that there are two issues here. First, it can be very hard to monetize what one knows in this area. Especially with the rise of the internet, folks expect experts to give up their hard won knowledge for free. That is great, except those folks have to eat too. I have no problem with Seeklander trying a different business model, he's got to eat AND the material seems to be solid. I find this model better than franchising instructors in your system which is the other model being tried out there.

Second, the only way you will improve is if you actually practice. There is a good bit of research in the behavioral field that shows having "skin in the game" increases your participation. There is a good chance that folks who pay for a membership are more likely to do the work than someone who receives the same information for free.

Finally, if you consider the alternatives, this one might not be so bad. The research clearly shows that how you learn to do something the first time, is hugely important. If your first grip and stance with a pistol is shitty, you will fight this grip and stance for a very long time. The preferred course of action is to start as a blank slate and hand your self over to an expert instructor. Very few people do this, primarily because they don't want to spend their money on instruction of "dubious" value - they don't know how good quality instruction can be. If someone who is not going to sign up for a two or five day class instead goes to Seeklander's web site, we are all better served.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by redbone View Post
    McPhee/Sheriff of Baghdad does something similar
    Disclaimer: these comments are not from personal experience with the SOB's offerings. :-D

McPhee does this two ways - the first being a 1-day class where he uses the Coach's Eye platform to analyze video he takes of each student. This is done in front of the group so you benefit from his advice to all.

The second way is that you can video yourself and upload to his Gunfighter U site and he will analyze based on whatever package you purchase.

Alternatively one could subscribe directly to the Coach's Eye and use the tools to apply some "self-analyzation" or track progress ;-)
    Last edited by s0nspark; 08-01-2016 at 02:22 PM.
    "A man's character is his fate."

Quote Originally Posted by s0nspark View Post
    The second way is that you can video yourself and upload to his Gunfighter U site and he will analyze based on whatever package you purchase.

Alternatively one could subscribe directly to the Coach's Eye and use the tools to apply some "self-analyzation" or track progress ;-)
    I was referring to the second way. The huge caveat is that I don't know what Seeklander actually does with the video review and how detailed his critique is. The first I've heard of it is in this thread.

Strength coach Rippetoe used to (and may still) critique the squat form of those that posted in his forum but it was a very basic instruction. I doubt Rip spent much time looking at the clips before offering up his pointers. But it was free, so there you go.

If Seeklander really goes into depth with the video review, it would have real value. If he watches your youtube clip and says "You need to work on driving the gun" then, well, it's not so great.

McPhee charges $79 to review one grip, one presentation and a reload. Or $59 if you don't want the reload. You can see some of the critiques that McPhee has done for clients on his Facebook page. Of the two, I'd rather have Seeklander's instruction, ceteris paribus.
    Last edited by redbone; 08-01-2016 at 03:52 PM.

User Tag List