Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone tried Seeklander's American Warrior Society?

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Because no one person knows everything and even you get a group of people together they still don't know everything. So what exactly does getting behind the pay wall get me as a consumer of that specific market? Nothing I cannot get anywhere else.

I'd much rather spend the same money on a membership to PF.

This doesn't make any sense.

You are essentially saying "Seeklander (and his fellow contributors) don't know everything, so I'm not going to pay him to learn what he does know."

No one ever implied that if you join that site would give you all the answers and that if you paid for that content you couldn't get training or information from somewhere else.

Secondly, you don't know what's behind the paywall, so you can't say if it's available somewhere else, can you?

Thirdly, even if it's all available elsewhere it's worth some amount of money to be readily available and organized. (But I find it hard to believe that everything the former cop, former FAMS instructor, top 10 production USPSA GM Seeklander teaches is available elsewhere, free or otherwise. Please tell me where.)

There's tons of free information on the internet about the things we are interested in. But you still have to wade through, at best, a lot of filler/noise and, at worst, a lot of poor information. I'm fine with paying if it reduces the time spent sorting through a bunch of disjointed YouTube clips or reading threads which inevitably get off track.
    Last edited by redbone; 07-31-2016 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Typos

Quote Originally Posted by cheshire_cat View Post
    I think you guys are missing his point. It is clear from his podcast that he is using the term "warrior" in a very broad sense. He is trying to get people to have a self defense type mindset, where they are aware of their surroundings and take personal responsibility for the safety of themselves and their loves ones. If they do that, then by his definition they are a "warrior". For those who have actually listened to many of his podcasts, it is uncharitable to imply he is saying by merely joining his subscription website that they are members of some elite group of bad asses. Mike is all about putting in the work and the journey.
    I took the first jab at the "warrior" moniker , but I'll admit you are right. He makes it clear you have to put in the work and I imagine he's shaking his head when we poke fun of the idea that you become a warrior by joining a site.

I'm sure that wasn't his intention and I think we are getting wrapped around the axle about the warrior part. It's marketing. We may not like the branding, but it doesn't matter to me. For me it's either the content is worth the cost or it isn't.
    Last edited by redbone; 07-31-2016 at 05:00 PM.

I can't get past the name to give the content a fair shake.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

In any case, I am on the fence on joining. I did the 3 day trial a couple months ago and went through the pistol content. It was good for me to see how he presents different topics, for instruction purposes. He shoots from appendix carry, so it was interesting to see his thoughts on that. His content is high quality and professional, but ultimately I am a cheap bastard and I barely have enough money to buy the ammount if ammo components I want. If I had extra cash I would definitely join. I like to consume as much firearms related content from various reputable sources I can.

Quote Originally Posted by cheshire_cat View Post
    I think you guys are missing his point. It is clear from his podcast that he is using the term "warrior" in a very broad sense. He is trying to get people to have a self defense type mindset, where they are aware of their surroundings and take personal responsibility for the safety of themselves and their loves ones. If they do that, then by his definition they are a "warrior". For those who have actually listened to many of his podcasts, it is uncharitable to imply he is saying by merely joining his subscription website that they are members of some elite group of bad asses. Mike is all about putting in the work and the journey.
    Me thinks you missed my point. I wasn't poking at Seeklander.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    What size?
    double extra big
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    As far as the value, it may depend on where you are developmentally. If you are not already an exceptional performer in the domains he covers - shooting, medical, empty hands, fitness, and mindset - then it is probably a worthwhile resource. If he is just reinforcing what you already know, then there is less value.
    I agree 100%. I took the entire concept as offering the most bang for the buck for folks new to the defensive arts. Those who have journeyed well down the road and have significant experience and skills probably have little to gain. That said I have little curiosity or desire to see behind the curtain.

I have no need for a challenge coin, trinkets, tough sounding monikers or secret handshakes. Nor am I interested in joining a monthly membership program and finding myself somewhere down the road in time still belonging but never accessing.

If labels such as "warrior", "sheepdog", "sentinels" and the like are not used, are there others more acceptable to group those of that mind and practice?
    Last edited by ST911; 07-31-2016 at 06:09 PM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

I think the lack of an appropriate moniker is a reasonable question. My take is that Mike is trying to offer a one stop shop that allows the novice to rapidly increase their knowledge and skill. He is essentially appealing to the Cleeti of the world. If the moniker gets someone to abandon their empty chamber carry with a Ruger in a nylon gunshow holster, I'm OK with it.

With that said, I can see an opposing attorney having a field day with the moniker. It's an easy spin-up for a Walter Mitty kind of argument. I'm not saying it can't be countered but that takes time and experts which equal money.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

I joined a few months ago after watching some of his content on YouTube and listening to a number of his podcasts. While I have been shooting for years, the idea of systematically improving my skills with a handgun and rifle by "web based" courses by someone with a good reputation is worth 10 bucks a month. (I spend more than that on coffee) I see that John Farnam also offers a subscription service.

Getting some good hands on training has been on my bucket list for a long time. After practicing some of the skills outlined in his defensive handgun book, and those on video, I decided to sign up for Tom Givens' Intensive Pistol Skills course (next week). For me it is exciting to see my skills improve. I am trying to get my wife and adult kids to step up their awareness and self defense skills.

I get the issue with the society and coin and agree that those with high experience probably won't find AWS helpful or exciting. For those like me who are starting off, I try to learn as much as I can from those who have legitimate experience (which is why I have followed PF for several years).

Thank you to all of the SME's and contributors here on PF!

User Tag List