Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Recommendations on 1911s?

1) Springfield or 2) Colt. I prefer Springfield. For around a grand you can have a reliable, accurate, and durable 1911. I have one TRP Operator that I have put well over 50k rounds through, most of those rounds were 230gr GDHP courtesy of the Feds. Change the recoil spring once a month, and run powermags; http://www.cmcmags.com. I rarely cleaned it, just kept it lubed, and it ran in all kinds of weather. Only malfunctions were ammo related.

I do minimal modifications. All I do is VCD grips; http://www.vcdgrips.com and if the sights need help I put some Dawsons or Warrens on there; https://dawsonprecision.com/sights/ That's it. I've learned the hard way that the best way to keep my 1911s running is to do nothing to them but shoot them, clean, and lube them.
    "There is magic in misery. You need to constantly fail. Always bite off more than you can chew, put yourself in situations where you don't succeed then really analyze why you didn't succeed." - Dean Karnazes www.sbgillinois.com

Depending on your budget, I'll add another vote for Dan Wesson. The Valor for a range/competition/house gun, or even daily carry if you want to pack all that iron all day, every day. If it is more for daily carry, try the Guardian model.

Site Supporter
    On second thought, to the Original Poster -- you've been given a lot of responses here but you haven't articulated why you want a 1911 in the first place. Have you given any thought to buying a Glock? Serious question, coming from a 1911 user.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    On second thought, to the Original Poster -- you've been given a lot of responses here but you haven't articulated why you want a 1911 in the first place. Have you given any thought to buying a Glock? Serious question, coming from a 1911 user.
    Heh. I used to work with a guy who, when someone would ask what kind of 1911 he'd recommend, he'd answer "Glock 41."

barely relevant, but I think it's amusing
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

If you just want an accurate 1911 for range use .... the Springfield Armory Range Officer is hard to beat at such a low price.
    Go on any Bulls Eye Forum and see what they think of them as far as accuracy at such a low price point.
    For carry or home defense ... Dan Wesson or Springfield Armory TRP .
    Next steep up would be Les Baers after that your looking at Wilson Combat ... Nighthawks or Springfield Armory Custom Shop 1911's.
    JMO ... I would not trust a Ruger 1911 for carry or a Kimber .... they are OK for a range gun JMO.
    Last edited by Robert Mitchum; 07-31-2016 at 10:23 PM.

This would be my choice.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/gun...n_id=100715635

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I don't chime in much on here because I am more of an observer/reader because of the multitude of info. But I feel like, given my history with the 1911 over the last few years, I can give an opinion. Purpose is huge and budget is a big one. With that said, I wouldn't hesitate suggesting a semi-custom option to start. Spending a couple grand on EXACTLY what I wanted at first might have saved me money.

If the option is there to try some out, do it up. Figure out the caliber you want. Features are important. Sights are important. Grips are HUGE. So are mags. Find the right ones and buy a bunch. If they stop working, trash them.

Spend time on here to get an idea on the mechanics of shooting one, spend time on 1911forum to see what you may like. Don't decide too quickly and do your homework.

Finally, contrary to some belief, you don't have to clean it after every range session. Lube is necessary - more so than a Glock - but I ran my Les Baer 1,200 rounds with no problem right out of the box, just added oil every 200 rounds or so. I've had same luck with others and am currently running my Colt series 80 over 1,000 rounds since I lubed it. That one I am being intentionally lazy with.

Interested to hear more of what the OP's purpose is.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Who do people like for 9mm 1911s? I think that will be my next foray into non-glocks; likely at least a year down the line. Would rather 'buy once cry once' and am willing to save for it.

Who do people like for 9mm 1911s? I think that will be my next foray into non-glocks; likely at least a year down the line. Would rather 'buy once cry once' and am willing to save for it.
    Springfield.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by CSW; 08-01-2016 at 06:35 AM.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I am currently using Colt 9mm pistols and they work okay. I am considering adding a Colt Rail Gun for use as a home defense pistol. The new Combat Unit pistol looks pretty good.

User Tag List