Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Recommendations on 1911s?

Any Recommendations on 1911s?

Hi Everyone,

I am looking into 1911s and wondering what gun would be a good choice. I have heard good things about Ed Brown, Nighthawk, and Wilson Combat and was wondering if that would be the best route to go down. Likewise I have heard that the Springfield TRP is a good pistol as well. Are there any that I am overlooking? I have heard in the past that most 1911s that are under the cost of a good AR15 should be sent off to someone who can see if something is wrong with them.

I am not really sure what I plan to do with it when I get it. But I do want a pistol that doesn't need babying as I am a bit lax at times with cleaning mechanical objects.

Thanks for your help.
    Thanks for listening.

Colt has recently upgraded all their machine tools on the 1911 line and are currently producing the best quality 1911s in their history. I have a current production Gold Cup Trophy and it's a shooter. Check into Colt 1911s

Dan Wesson.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    Dan Wesson.
    This ^^^^.

Site Supporter
    I like the Sig 1911s with the squared slide. I have had no problems with a 5" barrel 1911. The frame, slide, and barrel are stainless steel. I have shot 2,000 rounds through it.
    Last edited by WOLFIE; 07-31-2016 at 02:52 AM.

I would get a Springfield Loaded or Range Officer, take a few classes with it, some matches. From your experience with the pistol you will more wisely choose what the gun needs as opposed to what people tell you it needs. And stay away from the 1911 collector forums (ie all 1911 forums).

HK45

Because of the proliferation of gunsmith-fit parts for 1911s and the nature of tolerance stack up, there's not really any such thing as a 1911 that "doesn't need babying." Eventually something will break and you'll need expert help or a fair bit of patience and the Kuhnhausen manuals to get the pistol running again. It's not inherent in the design of the 1911, it's just how the gun ended up being used.

If you want a reliable 1911, buy two from a reputable manufacturer with good customer service so that when one is off for repairs you have a backup you can use.

You'll hear a lot of really dumb stuff, even on this otherwise good forum, when you ask about 1911s.

I wouldn't invest in one until I knew what I wanted to do with it.

Once you do, you will find that it doesn't really need any more maintenance or expertise than other platforms. They are a little expensive and have low capacity. I generally think Dan Wessons are the best deal going.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Colt has recently upgraded all their machine tools on the 1911 line and are currently producing the best quality 1911s in their history. I have a current production Gold Cup Trophy and it's a shooter. Check into Colt 1911s
    I agree! The Wiley Clapp guns are also excellent and have a few of the common enhancements people seem to wind up with.
    Last edited by FNFAN; 07-31-2016 at 09:08 AM.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

An excellent basic 1911 that should be good to go out of the box would be a Colt 70 Series, in my opinion.

Best, Jon

User Tag List