Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Wannabe?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Texas DPS has been on a hiring kick:

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/trainin...ting/index.htm

Last I heard, BP has a very long hiring process.
    Thank you for the tip on DPS, I'll check them out. Anything federal , besides the VA police may be a no-go, due to the long process to get in and I turn 41 in January.

Quote Originally Posted by VW.45 View Post
    Thank you for the tip on DPS, I'll check them out. Anything federal , besides the VA police may be a no-go, due to the long process to get in and I turn 41 in January.
    I wouldn't pass up looking into FPS, especially since you're a veteran. I can hit up my friend later this evening and get more info for you, if desired.

Quote Originally Posted by TYR View Post
    I wouldn't pass up looking into FPS, especially since you're a veteran. I can hit up my friend later this evening and get more info for you, if desired.
    Any info is welcome! I have a dept in mind, but nothing is written in stone.

FWIW, if they like you and you get hold of a nice lady's ear in the hiring office, you might get pushed to the top of the list if you would otherwise get hired but are looking at timing out/hitting the age cap.

I've talked to 1 or 2 people in my own organization who were about to hit the age cap, and would have be DQ'd if they had to wait for the next class which they otherwise would be hired into if they weren't an old guy. They magically jumped a couple spots on the register and got in a few months before they turned 37 (or 41).

Don't not apply to anything just because you think you won't make the age limit. Many of the police officer positions don't require a TS clearance, and many of the organizations will take you on an interim background check (they send you to training while it gets finished up). There's a P-F.com member in this thread who's entire federal hiring process took 3-4 months max, I think.

You could also try BOP for a quick-in to reset the clock if that's the route you want to go.
    Last edited by TGS; 08-09-2016 at 01:41 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

This post is sort of in response to an earlier post. I have been at my current job for 8.5 years. That's 8.5 years at a job that I DESPISE with every ounce of my being! The work isn't as bad as you would think, it's the management and their hiring practices that irk me. Management here gets hired in, no more working your way up. So they have never worked, or have any idea what the job(s) entails, but try to micromanage while having no clue what their job is, or ours. The recent batches of people to be hired, are only hired because of affirmative action, or they was someone's worthless buddy/relation. None of them are even remotely qualified to do the job, but once their in, we can't get rid of them.
    Hope that gives y'all an idea of of my work ethic. 8.5 yrs of running 5-10 miles, for 4-8hrs everyday while throwing upwards of 13 tons (per person) with no break, in alost every conceivable weather condition. All of this is done, covered in garbage juice that consists of used feminine products, used condoms, used diapers, just use your imagination. ..... all of this is done under shitty management and with some coworkers who refuse to work and who are more than happy to push work off onto those who will work.

Now imagine the level of dedication I would display for a job I would enjoy doing?

The past 3.5 yrs I have still been working full time, but also going to college full-time. Most of my classes have been on campus, with some online. I get less than 4 hrs of sleep a day, and that is broken up. Some days I try to get some sleep in my car between classes at school.

I'm not trying to make myself out to be superman, I get hurt occasionally but bounce back and get right back to hell.
    Buddy, minus the running, throwing, and being covered in garbage, you just described most agencies in my area to a tee. Law enforcement is very political, and promotions and leadership aren't the best at the job, they are the best at kissing up and working the system. Management is completely ignorant of how to do the job, hence policy that is void of logic and reason. I'm sure some agencies aren't this way, but I haven't seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by PearTree View Post
    Buddy, minus the running, throwing, and being covered in garbage, you just described most agencies in my area to a tee. Law enforcement is very political, and promotions and leadership aren't the best at the job, they are the best at kissing up and working the system. Management is completely ignorant of how to do the job, hence policy that is void of logic and reason. I'm sure some agencies aren't this way, but I haven't seen it.
    I'm getting the feeling that everything is starting to lean this way. Oh well, I'm used to it. At least I'll be happier doing a job I would enjoy, even if the higher ups are clueless. Change what you can, and deal with the rest.

Any advice for how to put my wife's mind at ease about joining LE? She is coming around, and oddly, the more this shit is happening in the news, the more understanding she is becoming. Are their any fringe benifits that I can point out to her, besides being safer because of another dedicated LEO is on the job?

I know this ain't what your looking for, and I'm not a Police officer, but isn't the divorce rate extremely high in that profession?
    i used to wannabe

That's what I've heard too. I'm on my third wife, lol, but we've been together for about 12 years. So a career change shouldn't be to bad, as long as I handle it correctly. Kinda funny that she is the only person who knows me, who DOESN'T want me dead

User Tag List