Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wannabe?

BTW, thank all of y'all for the help so far, and your service. I truly mean that.

Houston PD's age cap has been upped; perhaps it is 45 now.

You'll find hiring ages vary. Ours was actually a window from 21-30 years old, no exceptions. I know a couple of guys here in FL who retired from NYPD, moved south and got hired. Point being there are plenty of places that might hire you. Personally I'd put a lot of value on maturity in candidates, something I think a lot of your younger competition lacks. To wit, a friend's millennial son got hired, passed the academy, and quit at the end of the first week. I'm not sure if he expected to be a sergeant before that time or if he just hated the work.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

You might try the VA Police. They have openings all over the country, and there are a couple listed in PA. If I remember right, their academy is only 8 weeks.

We hire several in their 40s.

And we are in a big hiring push right now. If you are interested, PM me. We get a lot of former/retired military applicants. No age cap here but you would have to do a hard 30 to retire.......should be vested after 10 I think.

North Alabama for reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Houston PD's age cap has been upped; perhaps it is 45 now.
    Thanks for the heads up on Houston!

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    You'll find hiring ages vary. Ours was actually a window from 21-30 years old, no exceptions. I know a couple of guys here in FL who retired from NYPD, moved south and got hired. Point being there are plenty of places that might hire you. Personally I'd put a lot of value on maturity in candidates, something I think a lot of your younger competition lacks. To wit, a friend's millennial son got hired, passed the academy, and quit at the end of the first week. I'm not sure if he expected to be a sergeant before that time or if he just hated the work.
    Thank you for the encouragement, good to know almost washed guys like me still have a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by ronin0829 View Post
    You might try the VA Police. They have openings all over the country, and there are a couple listed in PA. If I remember right, their academy is only 8 weeks.
    Thank you, I had no idea that the VA had a police force. Not quite what I was looking for, but not out of the real of possibilities for me. I'm a little leary of anything the VA is in charge of, so that option is not quite at the top of my list. But beggars can't be choosers.

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    We hire several in their 40s.

And we are in a big hiring push right now. If you are interested, PM me. We get a lot of former/retired military applicants. No age cap here but you would have to do a hard 30 to retire.......should be vested after 10 I think.

North Alabama for reference.
    Thank you. My heart is mostly set on Texas, but Alabama wouldn't be far off. As long as I am in the south, I would be happy. I REALLY hate snow!

I'll serve as the lone dream crusher hear.

There are plenty of ways to make a positive impact other than law enforcement. Your age isn't the time to be looking for a sea change like cop work. You aren't young enough to reasonably expect to make it to retirement. Your likelihood of getting injured on the job is more likely at your age (I have a decade on you, so I know). When that happens, your department will cut you loose because they don't/won't give a damn about you. Let that one point sink in: no one will care if you live or die behind that badge, not the agency or the general public. Mentally and from an aspect of maturity, applicants like yourself are often preferred, but that just means the agency is more than willing to use you up and spit you out.

The job is full of satisfying physical and mental challenges, but it's also full of an incredible amount of suck that simply isn't worth it. All that being said, you sound like a worthwhile candidate and if your mind is set on it no one can change it. Just remember, one person was honest with you.

Good luck.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

User Tag List