Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Sell me on coated hard cast lead bullets

I shot a few thousand coated "conical nose" 125 bullets this year with 3.6 1TG and a few thousand 147 RN with 2.9 TG through my G34. They were real accurate and shot great... Yes a little on the smokier side especially if the sun was behind the berm.
    A71593

At this point, I'm leaning towards dumping the savings I realized by buying Titegroup over other powders into plated 124s. Hopefully I get to finish loading up my SNS sampler pack and test them out this weekend.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    At this point, I'm leaning towards dumping the savings I realized by buying Titegroup over other powders into plated 124s. Hopefully I get to finish loading up my SNS sampler pack and test them out this weekend.
    That's understandable. I can't exactly explain why, I've just never liked titegroup, so I never minded that fact that it isn't the best choice for coated bullets.

Actually, I do know why, all my loading manuals always made Win231/HP38 look much more versatile. Sort of like a ball powder version of Unique. So I always bought lots of those to keep the number of powders around lower.

I really wanna try some of that 231 but in only have titegroup local. I like the idea of stopping by in the way home from work and buying my powder and primers.
    i used to wannabe

How do you guys go about determining the oal for your rounds. I did the plunk test this morning on a dummy round with the bayou 147 and it spun freely at 1.170. That seems really long. The load data in my lee book is showing to load them much shorter. Not sure how to proceed. I've been loading fmj at 1.150.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterguy View Post
    How do you guys go about determining the oal for your rounds. I did the plunk test this morning on a dummy round with the bayou 147 and it spun freely at 1.170. That seems really long. The load data in my lee book is showing to load them much shorter. Not sure how to proceed. I've been loading fmj at 1.150.

I usually just use whatever the loading manual lists as long as it fits in the magazine.

I just started with Bayou Bullets. I'm running Gen3 Glocks and I load

4.7gr WSF (was dropping 5.0gr for CMJ bullets)
    124gr BB (pretty gold color)
    Various SP primers
    1.14" OAL

So far they seem pretty good and I haven't noticed any accuracy issues but I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a professional bullseye shooter.

I've played with the degree of flare and crimp that I have set on the respective dies and so far the HiTek coating seems to hold up pretty well. I didn't see any exposed lead or significant impressions in the bullets that I pulled while reconfiguring my press.

I load a dummy round to a length that it just fits in the mag. I then take that round (OAL) to the chamber and do the plunk test. Usually I will have to go a bit shorter to get it to pass the plunk test.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    This is the thing has me unnerved - Titegroup and coated is usually not a bad combo - smokey a bit, but not supposed to do what happened to me...
    Talking to SNS tomorrow bout the situation. We'll see.

There are SO many nice powders out there: Win231, WST, WSF, hell, Bullseye is not bad (a bit dirty, maybe).

Anyway - just be careful, and load safe.

Check this thread: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....227#post479227

User Tag List