Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Sell me on coated hard cast lead bullets

Quote Originally Posted by 125 mph View Post
    I've used 4.0 gr of titegroup with sns coated bullets. No smoke, no problems. I'm out now, but I'll order some more soon. If you want to try a small batch I'll send you a few to play with.

Edit: just read Les's post. Offer still stands, but if you don't want to take me up on it I get it. That's kinda scary and I may use unique from now on with them. I need to burn up a few pounds of that anyway.
    I'm good, I just got an SNS sampler in that I'll load up for shits and giggles anyway.

Now I just need to figure out whose plated bullets I want to use or if I want to try Bayou bullets.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I'm good, I just got an SNS sampler in that I'll load up for shits and giggles anyway.

Now I just need to figure out whose plated bullets I want to use or if I want to try Bayou bullets.
    I wont use plated bullets any more unless that's the only bullet I can find for a certain application, like round nose bullets for a revolver. I had a bad experience with West Coast years ago. I bought a pallet of 30,000 bullets that would randomly keyhole. Took forever to shoot them up in practice. It's too easy to cut the plating when you crimp.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    I've been using 3.2 of Titegroup with Bayou's 147 coated bullets for about 2 years. Mostly in Glocks and CZ's. No leading problems at all. And I don't clean my Glocks very often. I've probably shot well over 10,000 of them, maybe closer to 20,000. I just measured a few and they are .356". I don't notice the smoke while shooting but I mostly shoot outdoors.
    Are you using the stock Glock barrel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterguy View Post
    Are you using the stock Glock barrel?
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, mostly Gen 3 and 4 with a little Gen 2 thrown in. Several different G-17, a G-19, G-26 and a few through a G-43.

99% of what I've shot this year has been 125 blue boolits and titegroup. No smoke or issues. Might just be a issue with some, but I haven't seen it.
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    99% of what I've shot this year has been 125 blue boolits and titegroup. No smoke or issues. Might just be a issue with some, but I haven't seen it.
    Load data?
    #RESIST

I've done a few. But the ones I like were

3.7 grains titegroup 125BB 1.115 with a .377-.378 this was like 128PF

3.6 grains titegroup 125BB 1.105 with same crimp. Haven't chronoed but feels good and I got the load data off Enos.

Just play around with it. Les has done a lot of playing and I really value his opinion. I on the other hand have found something that worked and stayed there. I hope to do a lot of load development after September.
    i used to wannabe

Excellent and thank you.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    The main problem you're experiencing with your Berettas is their bore size being at the upper end of the 9mm spec. Go to a .357 or .358 size bullet and you'll have better luck, even with Titegroup. I experienced leading, or excessive polymer residue with the HiTech coating, in my Berettas until I increased the bullet diameter. I found a .358 bullet works best in mine. Straight cast without a coated doesn't produce any leading. The HiTech coated bullets work the same but with less smoke.

SnS gets their HiTech polymer coating from Bayou Bullets, who were the first to offer it in reloading. I've found the price to be equivalent and the shipping time is faster from Bayou.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 07-29-2016 at 07:14 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I use BBI (black bullets international). My 147 grain load is almost identical to Les. I actually use a tiny bit less HP38. It's worked well for me in my Berettas. I also use their 125 grain bullet and add 1 grain of HP38 to the 147 grain load. I've been very happy with it too.

I'm going to start experimenting with WSF soon, as I've got 8 pounds of it sitting there waiting on me.

Overall, I'll never do naked lead again. If I decided that I wanted something with a jacket, I'd go jacketed rather than plated.

User Tag List