Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Sell me on coated hard cast lead bullets

Quote Originally Posted by martin_j001 View Post
    Ok all, trying to figure some things out here regarding whether or not I'm seeing leading or something else. Here's a few pics and some details. I have no prior experience with leading, so I'm not sure what to be looking for, etc, so I'm asking for help/guidance.
    That doesn't look bad... Becareful with the belling/crimp, bro...

HP-38 can give a bit of residue.

It if wipes off, it is reside, if you need to rub a lot/it flakes off, it is lead.

Quote Originally Posted by martin_j001 View Post
    Ok all, trying to figure some things out here regarding whether or not I'm seeing leading or something else. Here's a few pics and some details. I have no prior experience with leading, so I'm not sure what to be looking for, etc, so I'm asking for help/guidance.

I'd appreciate any and all advice or thoughts based on the pics above. Im not yet convinced I should write off coated bullets, as even if I am seeing some leading in the past, some of that is my fault as the bullet coating is indeed getting damaged. I hope to have that issue addressed now though.
    You might be crimping too hard hence the exposed lead. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about the buildup on your guns/lights.
    #RESIST

Doesn't look like your over crimping to me, looks like your running the shell plate into the tool head with a bullet about to fall off/sideways. Straighten them suckers up.
    i used to wannabe

Appreciate the responses all...

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    That doesn't look bad... Becareful with the belling/crimp, bro...

HP-38 can give a bit of residue.

It if wipes off, it is reside, if you need to rub a lot/it flakes off, it is lead.
    Yeah, hopefully the new powder funnel sets me up with a better bell and helps to prevent the bullet damage. I've yet to have to scrape anything out of the barrels, but definitely have off the guide rod and light.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    You might be crimping too hard hence the exposed lead. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about the buildup on your guns/lights.
    I like this answer, but if it really is lead buildup I just don't want it to cause me any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Doesn't look like your over crimping to me, looks like your running the shell plate into the tool head with a bullet about to fall off/sideways. Straighten them suckers up.
    Agreed, I think that happened with some for sure. The new powder funnel definitely makes that less likely to occur.
    Jeff Martin
    Instagram

It isn't uncommon to have just a bit of frosting at the muzzle end ... From the pictures, I'm not too concerned, but I'd keep an eye on it.

Tonight, I shot my first USPSA match using my Leatherhead 125s over 3.8gr TiteGroup reloads. Outstanding, no issues, excellent accuracy. I'm going to load up a bunch once I get some more brass.
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 11-15-2016 at 10:32 PM.
    #RESIST

Tonight, I shot my first USPSA match using my Leatherhead 125s over 3.8gr TiteGroup reloads. Outstanding, no issues, excellent accuracy. I'm going to load up a bunch once I get some more brass.
    Was that out of a stock Glock barrel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...and... How was the match? Got any pictures? Vids?

Excellent! Very close to my own load these days. Hope you enjoyed the match.
    TY83544

Quote Originally Posted by 125 mph View Post
    Was that out of a stock Glock barrel?
    Yup, no issues w/ leading.
    #RESIST

User Tag List