Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Sell me on coated hard cast lead bullets

Quick question:

Because of my new-found confidence in cranking out 9mm rounds on my Dillon, this evening I went ahead and set up my .45 ACP stuff and cranked out a few of these.

Now, I noticed that during the first 100 rnd or so, I ended up belling the case mouth just a tad over what should have been good. Moreover, my crimp die did not end up squeezing everything all back. As a result, I got some cartridges with a tad of flare at the case mouth.

WILL THIS BE A PROBLEM?

It seems mostly cosmetic as there appears to be enough case tension to hold the projectile in place.

Thank you. I'm mostly likely worrying too much about it.

I'm loading 230 LRN blue bullets over 5.4 grs of W231. COAL is 1.245-1.257 (just a bit of variance).

Other than this, everything seems to be well. I think what happened was that when I cranked down the lock rings to tighten the dies, the motion also moved the die a hair forward (and down into the press), hence my issue.
    Last edited by rojocorsa; 09-16-2016 at 02:28 AM.

Personally, I'd either pull those bullets or run them through the crimp die once you've got it readjusted. I would expect some feeding issues with the ammo as you describe it.
    TY83544

Hello world.

Just wanted to update my current load.

135gr bayou Bullets over 3.7gr ETR-7 at 1.105. So soft. So clean. Never again bluebullets, you too titegroup.
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Talionis View Post
    Personally, I'd either pull those bullets or run them through the crimp die once you've got it readjusted. I would expect some feeding issues with the ammo as you describe it.
    They feed and chamber.

Now, I ask the following out of ignorance:

While I understand that the bullet is held in place with the tension from the cartridge casing, what is the big concern with crimp. You mentioned feeding. Is that it, or are there other things that relate to the crimp?

Conversely, what happens when casing is over-crimped?

Thanks again.

This reloading stuff is growing on me, ultimately.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Hello world.

Just wanted to update my current load.

135gr bayou Bullets over 3.7gr ETR-7 at 1.105. So soft. So clean. Never again bluebullets, you too titegroup.
    Why'd you change from blue bullets ?

Quote Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post
    They feed and chamber.

While I understand that the bullet is held in place with the tension from the cartridge casing, what is the big concern with crimp. You mentioned feeding. Is that it, or are there other things that relate to the crimp?

Thanks again.

You want to avoid bullet setback. It would probably be ok, but simple to just pull a button and place the loaded rounds in under the seating die. It will double check the seating depth and redo the crimp.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post
    They feed and chamber.

Thanks again.

A lot of bullseye guys don't crimp - they bell just enough to - hurr - load a jacketed HAP into the casing. LOL

For most sloppier work, with mixed brass, the belling is keep to getting the bullet to stay put until it gets seated to a proper depth. If there is too much belling, feeding reliability is affected.

Over crimping can lead to chambering issues, poor accuracy, goofy pressure curves, etc. Remember most semi-autos headspace on the case mouth, not the rim.

The advice to just pull one tab and recrimp those rounds with a little bit more is pretty good - I've had to do that in the past...

I went back and re-crimped. Most if not all, in addition to rounds I loaded in today's session are all .471" give or take.

Have definitely noticed my Titegroup + Blue Bullets (125gr) load being smoky lately. Shot about 200 rounds in a match on Sunday and didn't see anything odd in the barrel of my P320. Got some HP38 to try out though, plus the powder dropper/belling die recommended earlier, so going to go back and set things up again. Anyone have a suggestion for a load with 125gr or 127gr coated bullets and HP38?
    Jeff Martin
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    My experience has been with 124gr and 147gr 9's.

Titegroup and BE are both fairly hot powders. Clays in 124's can work "OK", but is erratic. (Totally a no-go for 147s...)
    I'm going to stay the hell away from coated and titegroup - i don't give a shit if it is Bayou, Blue Bullets, SNS, etc... TG is just too hot and I hate cleaning things...

I've had good luck with HP-38 (aka Win231) and 147's. Soft, accurate, non-temp sensitive, meters god enough for USPSA/IPSC shooting. I'm liking my loading of 3.5gr and loaded to 1.125"

The 147 sized at .357" are here, under the 38/.357 bullets: http://www.snscasting.com/new-38-357...coated-1000ct/
    (it is the same 147 FP as for the 9's, just sized to .357")

My loading process:
    I have enough bell to keep things from shaving.
    I crimp to .375"-ish ... No issues with flaking/etc... (Lee Factory Crimp and "size" die - I love this thing)

Seems ok... There's a bit of smoke, but I can live with it. You'll see a little bit of leading at the crown, but not much.

It is fine to shoot .357" through a glock, mp, etc...

Good luck, man. Lemme know how it goes - I'll be checking back here.
    I'm late to this thread but I don't think this has been asked.

What was your 9mm load with Titegroup? I just picked up a couple pounds to try instead of 231. We are loading 4.0 of 231 with 124 grain Bayou and getting a lot of smoke. Seems to be more smokey than your experience?

Also, are you easily making power factor with 3.5 of HP38 and 147s? Have you loaded any 124s? I don't have access to a chrono so I'm wondering if we are loading to hot with W231? Recoil is very light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

User Tag List