Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Sell me on coated hard cast lead bullets

Sell me on coated hard cast lead bullets

The math isn't bad, savings of about $30 per thousand bullets from SNScasting.com and other places. The coating stays on the bullet even when you hammer the bullet flat and has been tested many times in suppressors, not leading them up at all. However, my preferred pistol powder (Titegroup) might smoke with them so I'm loading up some test rounds now.

The case for coated bullets looks compelling when shooting.300Blk subsonics compared to conventional bullets. I will be ordering some and will report back.
    #RESIST

My advice? I'd stay away from titegroup and coated bullets. Titegroup tends to be harsh with them...

Overall, I've had a decent enough experience with them - except for one batch that seems to be on the soft side (lead-wise).

A load I really like, so far, is 3.5gr Win231 (also HP-38 from Hogdon - same stuff) and 147gr 9mm coated. This seems really soft...

BTW - I'm being very candid here: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post476285

I've had similar issues with titegroup and SNS casting poly coated bullets.
    Last edited by warpedcamshaft; 07-29-2016 at 03:03 PM.

I just received 1000 bayou 147 grn bullets. I plan on using hp38 with them as I've read that titegroup will cause some smoke issues.

There's so many on the market it was hard to choose which one to go with. Fwiw I purchased the bayou bullets and had them on my doorstep 3 days later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterguy View Post
    I just received 1000 bayou 147 grn bullets. I plan on using hp38 with them as I've read that titegroup will cause some smoke issues.

There's so many on the market it was hard to choose which one to go with. Fwiw I purchased the bayou bullets and had them on my doorstep 3 days later.

Work up to 3.5gr: super soft. Easy shooting. No smoke.

Looks like I'm going with plated bullets for 9mm then, thanks gents.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    I sincerely appreciate your candor there. Noted.
    #RESIST

Sell me on coated hard cast lead bullets

I've used 4.0 gr of titegroup with sns coated bullets. No smoke, no problems. I'm out now, but I'll order some more soon. If you want to try a small batch I'll send you a few to play with.

Edit: just read Les's post. Offer still stands, but if you don't want to take me up on it I get it. That's kinda scary and I may use unique from now on with them. I need to burn up a few pounds of that anyway.

Last edited by Mitch; 07-29-2016 at 04:42 PM.

I've been using 3.2 of Titegroup with Bayou's 147 coated bullets for about 2 years. Mostly in Glocks and CZ's. No leading problems at all. And I don't clean my Glocks very often. I've probably shot well over 10,000 of them, maybe closer to 20,000. I just measured a few and they are .356". I don't notice the smoke while shooting but I mostly shoot outdoors.

User Tag List