Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Obama Signs New Gun Control Executive Order. Puts Gunsmiths Out of Business

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    As far as both EAR and ITAR are concerned, if you sell (DoC) or tell (DoS) to a foreigner, you're exporting.

This is entirely about exporting.

Talk to a lawyer; a good one who understands export.
    And that is a going to be a huge burden for a small gunsmith operation. Attorneys who have in-depth ITAR knowledge and experience are expensive.

In a previous professional life, I went through ITAR training once a year, and I coded every product the business made for export, so that FedEx would ship it. Every year we were told something that contradicted the previous year's training. It is a complicated morass of confusing, contradictory stuff that the attorneys could not even clearly parse on a consistent basis.

The worst of it is that it belongs to two agencies, with overlapping concerns and responsibilities, and all Americans involved in commerce are excruciatingly at their mercy. And they're DICKS, particularly Commerce.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    What if the State Dept demands Brownell's to provide proof that THEIR CUSTOMERS are ITAR compliant for those parts whose installation is now deemed manufacturing? The Feds do have enough people to keep tabs on that info. Then things start getting real interesting a the end-user level. Want to buy a match barrel for your G19? (improving accuracy is one of the ITAR defs of manufacturing) Gotta see your ITAR compliance 1st! This document is much clearer & easier to read than most government stuff & pretty clearly tells us we're screwed!
    http://pmddtc.state.gov/compliance/A...0(Publish).pdf
    This is another concern of course. Not only can they screw with people doing gun smithing as a business, but if the remove the word business from the document they can screw with gun owners. Right now if I buy a barrel for my Glock, I'm no engaged in the business of improving the accuracy of the gun. Whack one word out of that document and I am now also included.

Site Supporter
    It's not just about exporting. The AECA/ITAR apply to manufacturing of "defense articles" within the US.

Can anyone produce a link to the actual, signed EO?
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    ITAR was enacted in 1976. The problem with it is this re-definition of what constitutes manufacturing, which was amended on 07/22/16 by the US State Dept. Directorate of Defense Trade Controls http://pmddtc.state.gov/compliance/A...0(Publish).pdf

Site Supporter
    Right, this is just a guidance document, but it goes beyond any prior interpretation of "manufacturing" from the Department of State. The article linked in the first post is a good summary of the changes made by the new guidance.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    ITAR was enacted in 1976. The problem with it is this re-definition of what constitutes manufacturing, which was amended on 07/22/16 by the US State Dept. Directorate of Defense Trade Controls http://pmddtc.state.gov/compliance/A...0(Publish).pdf
    Not to be an ass, but that is not an EO correct? What did BHO sign?
    Taking a break from social media.

Not to be an ass, but that is not an EO correct? What did BHO sign?
    Technically nothing. He is meely allowing his minions to ass fuck the people of the USA with regulatory interpretations and redefinitions. Does that make it better or worse?

User Tag List