Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does one appendix holster work for all your carry needs?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    for me, best speed comes from a high ride, with the butt not so radically tucked.
    Would a high risk food court entry, or the Timmy Olympics be the preferred uses for such setups? I am just learning about this stuff, would like an advice.

All my appendix rigs are set for an unimpeded draw. My only exceptions for an on-body carry are really deep concealment setups such as Tom's clip rig for G43, or my Zach trigger guard holsters when the frame is barely over the belt line. I understand the premise of your post; question is whether burying the holster in aids concealment incrementally. To me, nope. Even if put in the slimmest option for anything fully sized (thank you again, btw), there is still some component of a colostomy effect and I still need to dress around. Hence, if real concealment is a must or I have to wow ladies in my slim fit clothing, I'd have to go with protected Mexican carry or extra slim gun.

Love the new signature, wonder what caliber you take your CZs in.
    Last edited by YVK; 07-29-2016 at 05:00 PM.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I am a believer in multiple IWB holsters for the same gun for different applications. If a person did the same thing every day all the time surrounded by the same people in the same environment, then one holster may do the trick, but that's not reality. The change may be as simple as a different belt attachment to facilitate quick on/off because of work, or a thread on the belt attachment for all day wear or class. Or it may be a change from AIWB to strong side IWB because of physical constraints or sitting all day, whatever. Also, I hear talk about the dreaded box of holsters, but really how are you going to know if the holster you have is good, unless you have others to judge it against. Plus new ideas and designs are always coming. YMMV (I freely admit I am a capitalist and want to sell holsters, so I am biased)
    sales@jmcustomkydex.com

First AIWB holster I ever bought, a G17 Keeper in 2012, worked great and I used it exclusively until recently picking up a Eidolon (also for a 17) to use with a 19 MOS. I've not used the Keeper since getting the Eidolon, so I guess I'm in the only use one camp. I have other AIWB holsters for other guns, but never considered buying multiple AIWB holsters for the same gun based on different occasions or clothing. If clothing or venue dictates (ie NPE's), I'm generally being forced to carry a different gun.

That said, I've had a Vanguard 2 in my cart at least a dozen times because I think would come in really handy on occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Would a high risk food court entry, or the Timmy Olympics be the preferred uses for such setups? I am just learning about this stuff, would like an advice.

All my appendix rigs are set for an unimpeded draw. My only exceptions for an on-body carry are really deep concealment setups such as Tom's clip rig for G43, or my Zach trigger guard holsters when the frame is barely over the belt line. I understand the premise of your post; question is whether burying the holster in aids concealment incrementally. To me, nope. Even if put in the slimmest option for anything fully sized (thank you again, btw), there is still some component of a colostomy effect and I still need to dress around. Hence, if real concealment is a must or I have to wow ladies in my slim fit clothing, I'd have to go with protected Mexican carry or extra slim gun.

Love the new signature, wonder what caliber you take your CZs in.
    If you can't conceal a Boresight grip reduced 19 in your appendix holster without getting made in the grocery store, you might consider whether always optimizing for an "unimpeded draw" gives up something in concealibility.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Thought about this a bit and the only time I don't aiwb is when I am on duty or when running overt kit (pc helmet rifle)

G43 in JMCK AIWB and G19 w/XC1 in JMCK AIWB. I don't feel the need to have any other AIWB holsters although I have a Veil Solutions Ghost and Raven VG2 kicking around in the holster box, I never use them.

IF I get a differant AIWB holster, I'll get another JMCK AIWB for the G19 but no XC1.....

So I somehow use a tucked (foam wedge) jm at medium ride height and still get good draw times.

Jmck aiwb holster with the belt clip and a jmck aiwb claw with hard loops. I have a foam wedge to use for either if needed.

I am seeing a need for different holsters. I've really debated on a very minimalist rig for my g26.

Also in my convos with Tony it seems the George would be well suited for my body style.

I also have a ccc shaggy laying around that I don't use anymore. It's a g17 length and I used it for about a year until I got the jmck. Good holster just got replaced by the newer one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    So I somehow use a tucked (foam wedge) jm at medium ride height and still get good draw times.

That's how my JM is set up, with soft loops, and I have a similar experience. It does bang up my knuckles if I run more than 20 draws or so within a short time.

The JRC leather CDA has really grown on me. I wear it more often than not these days, when the pant loops permit me to position it where I want. I get perfect placement abutting a loop on all my TAD pants, but other pantaloons are hit or miss. Utilikilt is GTG with it, though.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    ...That said, I've had a Vanguard 2 in my cart at least a dozen times because I think would come in really handy on occasion.
    The VG2 does come in handy, for me. I get better stability with it concealing the longer slide of the 17 vs the 19. The lowest ride height still allows good clearance.

If I have to go right to the belt line for deeper concealment, I've been using a Q-Series trigger guard holster. I don't have the link handy right now, but a review was featured on the Modern Service Weapons blog a while back.

User Tag List