Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does one appendix holster work for all your carry needs?

Does one appendix holster work for all your carry needs?

Tony Mayer at JM and I had this discussion earlier this week. While I have boxes and boxes of various holsters, initially I assumed one appendix holster for a particular gun was all I needed. I have come to realize, that just as I have different purpose OWB holsters, I have different appendix holsters for different purposes.

The conundrum is that optimal speed, concealment, muzzle orientation and retention likely do not ALL come in the same appendix holster. Take speed for example -- for me, best speed comes from a high ride, with the butt not so radically tucked. Concealment comes from a lower ride, that might whack my knuckles on the draw, with the butt wedged as tight as possible against me. Best retention is slower and may come from leather. A big pad that averts the muzzle as far from your body as possible, can make getting the butt harder, especially with a smaller pistol.

Lately, I have settled on a two holster strategy. A JM "George" for most of my needs, and a Universal with a clip for lower ride, better concealment, and easy on and off as I switch clothing or go to USPSA practice gear.

What are your strategies?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Small Independent holster maker Matthew Turner (Appalachian Concealment) makes the Gladius for my G17 Name:  Bigfoot G17 -b.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  28.5 KB. He has been on Hiatus for about a year, but is ready to restart bending Kydex again for AIWB. (he also has a very particular view on the AIWB Holster). As soon as he contacts me I would like another one of his creations for my G19.
    “There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Starship Troopers

I just use one, does all I need. Sub second draw in normal clothes. New model works just as well. Second new model will be the same.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Have a picture of just the holster??
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

I just use one right now. I'll have to take a closer look at the universal.

I have used a DF archangle for a long time, then in the last 6 months - got a CCC Gestalt and then a JM. I have been going back and forth a little with the last 2.

I couldn't agree more on speed vs concealment - I have given up on truely trying to tuck the grip all the way, I can't get a good, consistent and fast draw when the grip is tightly tucked into my stomach. I prefer to give up a little more concealment and dress around the gun more. I have never been able to work with the foam wedges.

I recently ditched the grip tucking plate with the gestalt and lowered the height - to the point my knuckles do scrape a tad, but it conceals really well that low. Thinking this will be my casual, tighter t-shirt holster and the JM will be my standard aiwb, at least for the rest of summer.

I use (and dig) the solid kydex loop though, on both holsters - don't have an easy on/off clip.
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

Site Supporter
    2 for me. Mostly driven by clothing. More forgiving clothes = higher ride holster.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by JDM View Post
    Have a picture of just the holster??
    Sorta. You on IG?

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I go for deeper carry height and better concealment all the time when I go AIWB. My latest is the best yet. It's a slim profile straight drop clip from Dark Star. No wedges, no tucks (bleh!)

Carry height can be adjusted via 3 sets of holes to affix the Tyrannosaurus clip. I choose the top set for the deepest carry. Last weekend for the first time in a long time I carried a G17 in it virtually non-stop without resorting to Omar the tent maker shirts. In GA, mid - 90 degree temps.

I hardly use my VG2 anymore at all whereas it used to be my go to.
    Last edited by JHC; 07-29-2016 at 07:02 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

While I agree that having one AIWB holster that is perfect for all environments and all aspects of speed, concealment, muzzle orientation and retention may be akin to having a unicorn, I use only one holster. I have found that the degree of concealment, comfort, accessibility, retention and livability afforded by my current AIWB rig---JRC Custom Leather---works well enough overall that I simply don't have enough need (at this time) to purchase and use another AIWB setup.

User Tag List