Page 73 of 160 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scout rifle, circa 2016

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    So, looking back over this entire thread, I think we’ve agreed on a few things about the practical rifle:
    1. The rifle is defined by what it does, not by its external characteristics.
    2. Caliber should be between roughly 6.5 and 8mm, although logistics may present a case for other choices. Bullet weight should be over 100 grains, with a sectional density of at least .250 and a velocity of at least 2,600 fps.
    3. Weight should be between 6.5 and 8 pounds. Lighter is nice, but not necessary. Heavier is OK, especially if you need to reach way out.
    4. Within reason, overall length is more important than overall weight. LOP matters more than barrel length.
    5. The optics are more important than the rifle itself, and should be suited to the task. The Scout scope is no longer One Glass To Rule Them All; the low-powered variable with an illuminated reticle probably is.
    6. Controlled-round feed is nice but only necessary for dangerous game.
    7. Detachable magazines are nice but they force other limitations. Good ones are expensive.
    8. Iron sights are nice, especially if they stay on the rifle when the scope is mounted. There is a lot to be said for a standing blade rear sight on the barrel. Front sights should have tritium. A rugged red-dot sight is at least as good a choice for a back-up.
    9. Gas guns are OK for the lighter cartridges if you live in a free state and if they easily take the optics that your needs require.
    10. Youth models are underappreciated. The length of pull is short enough, but the barrels are not as short as carbines, and the aftermarket stuff for their full-sized cousins works for them.
    11. Most people should buy more ammo and practice with the rifle they already have.
    12. All things are possible with Brockman.

Okie John
    I mostly agree with this. I would say "all things are possible with money" as that's really what the issue comes down to for most of us.

Also, re: "practice with the one you've got" I would amend to say "and if you don't already got then buy a M70 lightweight and a 1.x-Y optic of your choosing, put a ching sling on it, and go take Randy's PR class".

I also don't think the Aimpoint fills the bill for the "backup" thing. I go back to the "all things are possible with money" item and have to remind myself constantly that one of the criteria here for me, personally, is to not have a $3k custom rifle with $2k in glass since I'd be pretty upset if said rifle went missing or got broken. So, for me, adding a $600 optic/mount combo is (a) not really fitting the bill and (b) money I'd probably rather spend having irons installed.

In re-reading my post above, and others I've made, I think I'm probably back to where I started which is the Savage Hog Hunter. The primary shortcomings of this gun are the push feed, 4 round capacity, and brand. The feed issue I may be relaxing a bit, and I hear there may be a way to mod it to use detachable mags (although if that eliminates the ability to top up from the bolt then that won't do). Not much I can do about the brand issue, but if it runs and shoots once I get it then I suppose it won't matter, and the brand:cost are inter-related and remembering that I don't want to lose an expensive gun is part of the deal here.

Site Supporter
    I didn't know Howa made a scout rifle (with standard scope mount): http://www.legacysports.com/catalog/...a-scout-rifle/

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    The underlying offenses for 924(c) are supposed to be federal offenses only. That's the reason for the "court of the United States" element. This shouldn't apply to most defensive uses of a firearm equipped with a suppressor.
    That makes more sense. Thanks

BUAS = Backup Aluminum Sight

Found the silver Micro H1!

Yanked the 3.5-10x40 Mark4

Plopped it on Talley pic rail

Took three shots to put it .4 low at 25

Tweaked at 100 so shots go to top of dot with Creedmoor Sports 155 Scenar at nominal 2,820.

Figure they'll drop out of bottom of dot around 250-275 yards.

Looks great, shoots great.

Name:  Kimber Micro BUAS.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  85.7 KB

This wouldn't be my first or third choice for a fighting rifle, but if a situation arises in which I must shoot defensively, I'll do so even with the moderator on board.

Name:  Kimber with Harvester.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  102.3 KB
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    All those tarnished cases add a lot to the fence post pic.

And that silver H1 would look slick on top of a stainless Tikka.

Actually the upright post on my shooting bench made from phone poles knocked down by a tornado 15 years or so back. When I was training my three kids to shoot they decided to decorate it with spent rimfire rounds.

This is my Dad's old place in the country and the two boys enjoyed standing on the post and peeing on the grass behind it; said it was more fun than the porch. It's a Southern thang...

And still may get a closeout T3 Superlite from SW for a first deer gun for my 15 month old grandson. Chop an 8 twist .223 to 16.15, thread it and maybe punch it AI to save trimming. Watched a coyote killing video the other day, the host's 6-year-old schwacked a couple big dogs with a Micro fitted, suppressed custom .223. Good times to come.
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rjohnson4405 View Post
    I didn't know Howa made a scout rifle (with standard scope mount): http://www.legacysports.com/catalog/...a-scout-rifle/
    Are the HOWA mags proprietary ?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Are the HOWA mags proprietary ?
    Looks like it.

http://www.legacysports.com/catalog/...agazines-only/

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    FWIW, the "silver H1" is an R1 and it was discontinued several years ago (late 2010, IIRC). I picked up a couple when they were being blown out on clearance at 50% off.
    Apparently Midway is currently doing a limited run.

User Tag List