Page 53 of 160 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast

Thread: Scout rifle, circa 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Tony1911 View Post
    ...As long as you are right-handed. :/

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I like to run the bolt with my "weak hand". I think it's faster and easier to stay behind the sights.
    I would actually prefer if the Steyr was a left-handed bolt for me as a righty.
    I guess we're both wanting the same thing, but for different reasons.

Here's a lefty running an No1 SMLE like a boss. He's the guy in the lower half of the screen. Shooting starts about 2:55.

[f30video]379ba52bf679e26b410e8a9a8ef1abe0[/f30video]
    Last edited by Bigghoss; 08-21-2016 at 05:57 PM.

Interesting concept.

Any thought on how to use a sling that way?

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Who has a picatinny rail, like the one made by Tikka Performance Center, on their lightweight Tikka T3?

I got the Optilock bases and rings for my T3X .308 Compact, and I just am not very impressed. Not impressed with how the bases attach to the receiver, not impressed with how the rings align to the bases from underneath, not impressed with the way the rings tighten with my Swaro 1-6.

I am thinking of getting the Picatinny tail from TPC and using lightweight Nightforce rings?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Interesting concept.

Any thought on how to use a sling that way?

Okie John
    None, I'm a righty.
    Last edited by Bigghoss; 08-21-2016 at 07:36 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Here's a lefty running an No1 SMLE like a boss. He's the guy in the lower half of the screen. Shooting starts about 2:55.

[f30video]379ba52bf679e26b410e8a9a8ef1abe0[/f30video]
    Thanks for posting this. Even as a right handed, right dominant eye shooter, I learned something from it. It also rekindled my interest in modernizing the Lithgow ShtLE I inherited from my Dad. With the exception of sights that were clearly designed for perfect lighting conditions only, these old military bolt actions have a lot going for them.

Enfield jungle carbine in .303 with good sights would be a great scout gun.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Who has a picatinny rail, like the one made by Tikka Performance Center, on their lightweight Tikka T3?
    I bought the one from Tikka Performance center but have not installed it yet. I am waiting for the
    Bobro QD Rings to be back in stock. The rail is interesting as it has a little nub on the bottom which
    fits into a hole in the tikka (I believe)

Enfield jungle carbine in .303 with good sights would be a great scout gun.
    Except for the wandering zero because of the lightening cuts in the receiver. Now, a No. 4 converted to look like a No. 5 carbine, or just a shortened and sporterized No. 4, would be good. There used to be kits you could buy to do it but they're not around anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Except for the wandering zero because of the lightening cuts in the receiver. Now, a No. 4 converted to look like a No. 5 carbine, or just a shortened and sporterized No. 4, would be good. There used to be kits you could buy to do it but they're not around anymore.
    I started to post just this. Then I decided to Google "jungle carbine scout scope" to see if anyone had tried it. I could not (not in the 5 minutes or so I was willing to devote to the search), but I found plenty of guys who said that their No 5 rifle was accurate enough, and that the "wandering zero" issue was caused by the flinch due to .303 in a short light rifle.

Don't know, but I sure wish the Gibbs Rifle Company was still making No 5s out of Ishipore .308s...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

My Scout:
    Steyr Scout in .308 with a 2moa Aimpoint H1.
    You can reinterpret the scout rifle concept a hundred different ways for 2016, but the original is still pretty damn effective for the intended role.

That looks like it might be a good setup for an ACOG. I am not familiar enough with them though. Is the eye relief on one good enough to be accepting of running one that far forward?
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

User Tag List