Page 51 of 160 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Scout rifle, circa 2016

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    A 22" synth stocked with a 2-7x33 Leupold is basically what I'm envisioning. Thinking .308 gives me the most options for "plinking" ammo for general practice. Only question now is should I do that Leupold with or without the firedot?
    I have this one:

http://swfa.com/Leupold-2-7x33-VX-R-...pe-P48034.aspx

Hard to beat given the cost, length/weight and glass quality. Leupold made me a custom elevation dial for it; great scope for a short, light rifle.

The flat bolt Ruger 77 in 308 shot the surplus gunk that was available back in the earlier aughties fairly well. Some went 1 1/2"-ish for statistically insignificant groups. All was adequate to ding the 600 yard plate offhand.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If you are right handed, I would get a Tikka 20 inch .308 Compact, whatever low power variable works for your budget, and shoot that for a year or two to build your bolt rifle skills and sort out what you like.
    What's your reasoning on the Tikka as opposed to a new production Win M70 featherweight compact?

Quote Originally Posted by Xrslug View Post
    What's your reasoning on the Tikka as opposed to a new production Win M70 featherweight compact?
    Looks like the Tika can be $250-300 less than the Winchester.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    What are the details on this rifle? Short action Model 70 FWT, but what else?

Thanks,

Okie John
    Winchester M70 .308 Classic Compact. Brockman iron sights, extended floorplate for 7 down rounds, Talley scout bases, re-shaped bolt knob, action/trigger work, extra sling swivel stud, stripper clip notch, barrel cut to 18.5", recessed muzzle crown, light mount, sporting clays recoil pad.

Damn, all the bells and whistles. Sweet. Those 90s vintage Winny compacts were handy little rifles. They would shoot too, the ones I've owned were very accurate.
    Last edited by secondstoryguy; 08-17-2016 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    I have this one:

http://swfa.com/Leupold-2-7x33-VX-R-...pe-P48034.aspx

Hard to beat given the cost, length/weight and glass quality. Leupold made me a custom elevation dial for it; great scope for a short, light rifle.
    So basically the exact same rifle with a slightly different reticle from what I listed above. Ok, good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Xrslug View Post
    Tikka costs less, shoots accurately, weighs less, has factory DBM, and allows more flexibility with optic choices (more bolt clearance). The new production model 70 is also a great choice, especially for the practical rifle that leans more towards hunting than all around.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    So basically the exact same rifle with a slightly different reticle from what I listed above. Ok, good to know.
    Thats the scope I have on the rifle I posted previously. A very nice scope and perfect for what we are talking about.

I like the Leupy 1.75-6s and 2-8s too. They are great scopes for the money and with the ability to customize the knobs and reticle they are 90% of everything you need for a GP rifle. Another major advantage is they are light and can be mounted low.

User Tag List