Page 3 of 160 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Scout rifle, circa 2016

GJM...that rifle is dope..just about perfect. Brockman is still building stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by secondstoryguy View Post
    The Canadian ranger Sako CTR is intriguing. I like the iron sights and the 20" barrel.
    I should not have Googled that.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    What's wrong with a Steyr Scout in caliber .308 with a Leupold MK4 1.5-5X20 SPR scope mounted over the action? Is this out of the desired price range?
    I had one 15 years ago, and it always felt cheap to me compared to a model 70. When it wouldn't light military ball, I sent it down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by secondstoryguy View Post
    GJM...that rifle is dope..just about perfect. Brockman is still building stuff?
    I was in Jim's shop last week. Still building great rifles, slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I should not have Googled that.

Okie John
    My wife was just asking about that rifle. Hope Sako brings it to,the US.

Nice thing about .308, is if you had to whack a bear or tough target, you would have more horsepower than .223. .300 BLK or 7.62x39.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    My wife was just asking about that rifle. Hope Sako brings it to,the US.
    It looks like they might.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

But if you set it up so that the main strap runs from the front swivel to the center swivel, and have the runner go from the rear swivel to the main strap, then your main loop is essentially fixed and can't slip shut.

This sounds similar to the Rhodesian-sling. Its a two point sling. Nyeti uses it on his rifles

http://www.andysleather.com/#!produc...hunting-rifle.

Name:  W8459_TAR-5044layers.jpg
Views: 2917
Size:  19.8 KB

Ruger American, threaded, 16 inch bolt action in .300 BLK. $400, supposedly moa accurate, neat five round magazines. Either a red dot or fixed 2.5 power Leupold as glass.

What do you think?
    What do I think? I think you are a damn mind reader, that's what I think...

Was in Bud's on Tuesday sizing up the 223 version, but was thinking BLK. I haven't taken the NFA plunge yet so I was also thinking that the fast powders would not be so loud from the short barrel. And really like the low power fixed scope, but was thinking the ACO would be a good matchup.

Not as familiar with the other rifles, but another feature I was intrigued by on the Ruger was the three lug 70 degree bolt throw. But wishing it was stainless.

Maybe another consideration that fits your list might be the 77 in 357, maybe 44. I think you can get a 30mm ring that fits the Ruger receiver. In Ohio that would be a legal deer gun for me now.

But I was thinking about the American because I want to stick my toe in the 300BO pond, even though I have no reason in the world to do so...

To experiment, I have been thinking about putting together one or more currently available light rifles that will allow me to maintain bolt gun proficiency, shoot steel, paper, small game and even larger animals, and if necessary could be employed defensively.
    Hard to meet all criteria in a single rifle, so you end up favoring some characteristics over others:

CZ with Aimpoint:

Nothing will be lighter, shorter or faster. Really handy in and out of small planes, vehicles. Great range gun, can use on medium game, PD, but an intermediate-range cartridge and optic:

Name:  scout - 1 (1).jpg
Views: 2793
Size:  86.9 KB

.308 scout:

More length and weight, but more capable cartridge and optic. Much better if a chance meeting with a bear is on the menu.

Name:  scout - 1.jpg
Views: 2549
Size:  82.4 KB

Scoutski/.308 Scout hybrid:

I wanted a rifle that combined the best of the CZ carbine and the .308 Scout; short, light, fast, dependable DBM. Brockman and I came up with this in .308; 18" light barrel, FN SPR (Model 70) action, FN mag kit, conventional bases for receiver-mounted scope (currently has Leupold VXR 2-7X), a bit of scout rail for an Aimpoint; 5 & 10 round mags available (about 1/3 the cost of steel Tikka mags) and they are drop-free:

Name:  FN - 1.jpg
Views: 2705
Size:  62.3 KB

The CTR, out of the box, is less of a practical rifle, and more of a (hopefully) precision rifle. I picked up one in 6.5 CM yesterday. With a NF 2.5-10 in a Unimount, the Wilderness version of the Langlois Rhodesian sling and an empty mag, it weighs 9 lbs 10 oz. It's raining today, but I will shoot it this weekend. I suppose I could lop 4" off the barrel to try to slim it down, but I think, if it shoots, it will just have to stay porky:

Name:  IMG_2492.jpg
Views: 2576
Size:  86.1 KB
    Last edited by SteveB; 07-29-2016 at 06:45 AM.

If money was no object, I have thought for a while it would be super cool to take a Winchester Mod 70 extreme weather 30-06 and cut the barrel to 16.25, add Surefire brake, AI detachable mags, iron sights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice to see zero advocacy of the extended eye relief scope from the original concept.

I hunted with one on a surplus Mauser a few years (Burris) and it's light gathering handicap was severe.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

It looks like they might.

Okie John
    It's frustrating – Tikka had a couple of nice looking Battue rifles that never made here to the states (as far as I could figure out). My heart wants a Sako Black Bear in .308 but I'll bet the Canadian Ranger will be very nice and hopefully much less expensive.

User Tag List