Page 2 of 160 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Scout rifle, circa 2016

Quote Originally Posted by secondstoryguy View Post
    .308 or bust. Out of the three the CTR stands out but I prefer controlled feed in my bolt guns. I also like lighter contour barrels and the medium heavy on the CTR seems like dead weight.
    He's gonna chop dat sucker up. Might help resesitate the weight.
    i used to wannabe

If planning to go with a caliber in the power class of the 7.62x39, an AR type rifle would out class a bolt action, especially in an SBR configuration and fitted with a mini can. I know it's not the Scout rifle concept as canonized by the Colonel, but with the current technology, there it is

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    To experiment, I have been thinking about putting together one or more currently available light rifles that will allow me to maintain bolt gun proficiency, shoot steel, paper, small game and even larger animals, and if necessary could be employed defensively. Some possibilities that come to mind are:

CZ 527 in 7.62x39 with a 30mm Aimpoint over the action. Inexpensive ammo, accurate gun, lightweight, tiny magazines, and an action that is slick as snot.
    Other than some hunting uses, it there any reason not to try this one in .223?

Ruger American, threaded, 16 inch bolt action in .300 BLK. $400, supposedly moa accurate, neat five round magazines. Either a red dot or fixed 2.5 power Leupold as glass.
    Interesting cartridge, but I'm a logistics guy, and this one isn't as common as the 5.56 NATO, 7.62 NATO, or 7.62x39.

Tikka CTR in 6.5 or .308, cut down to 16.25 inches to save weight, ten round magazines, great reputation for accuracy, and a yet to be determined optic.
    Maybe I'm getting old, but I think that 7.5 pounds is plenty light for a 308. The 6.5 is interesting, but logistics...

Like the idea of a 2.5x Leupold on any of these. Nearly as fast as a red dot but no "cluster of grapes" reticle for my astigmatism. If you go with the CTR, it seems unwise not to have something more like a conventional long-range optic standing by as well.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If planning to go with a caliber in the power class of the 7.62x39, an AR type rifle would out class a bolt action, especially in an SBR configuration and fitted with a mini can. I know it's not the Scout rifle concept as canonized by the Colonel, but with the current technology, there it is
    I spend time in, near and over CA during the winter months, so I need an AR alternative.

Here is #1 scout/practical rifle now:

Just saw there is a short LOP CZ, that is very interesting to me, as I have great memories from my old CZ, Scoutski.

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-527-youth-carbine-223-rem/

Sent from my iPad
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

This may sound weird, but I've thought about the new Henry Long Ranger for this role. Partly because I'm a lefty and so a lot of cool bolt guns are not available to me.

https://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/the-long-ranger/

Only problem is it's a new platform and not vetted yet.

Interesting shot. It reminds me of some of my adventures with a Ching sling. In the Galco version (which I think you're using here) the main strap runs from the front swivel to the rear swivel, with a runner than goes from the center swivel to the main strap. The problem I found was that the loop where your arm goes could close up as shown in this pic, which makes the sling hard to use in a hurry.

But if you set it up so that the main strap runs from the front swivel to the center swivel, and have the runner go from the rear swivel to the main strap, then your main loop is essentially fixed and can't slip shut. You can't modify a Galco to do that, as the runner is too short. But you can rig it up with a couple of old 1" slings and it works pretty well. Not as good for carrying the rifle, but you can't have everything.

Okie John
    Last edited by okie john; 07-28-2016 at 11:31 PM.
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

It is a Ching made by Andy Langlois. I have so many years (decades) of using one, on so many rifles, it happens without conscious thought!

A consideration with the 527 is 7.62x39 vs .223.

With the 7.62x39 from CZ, it is optimized for the imported sized ammo, and may not be as accurate with American dimension ammo. The .223 model shoots .223 and 5.56.

With just five rounds in the magazine, bigger seems better?

While I agree that a short AR with light contoured barrel is probably what many consider the modern general purpose rifle it falls short in the field. The problem is that while it can hit at range it really lacks the punch to be as versatile as the .308 (hunting and out past 300). Short of elephant and maybe Cape Buffalo I can hunt pretty much anything in the world with a .308. Can't say the same for a 5.56 or .300. I've been less than impressed with both 5.56 and .300 on smaller hogs at any kind of range so .308 is my go to meat getter.

The one gun that I own that will truly do anything is my .308 bolt gun. It's light, sleek/snag free, pretty much indestructible, and will put lethal rounds on target out to 500-600 with relative ease.

The Canadian ranger Sako CTR is intriguing. I like the iron sights and the 20" barrel. Drop that bitch in a Manners stock with some low power glass and it might work.

What's wrong with a Steyr Scout in caliber .308 with a Leupold MK4 1.5-5X20 SPR scope mounted over the action? Is this out of the desired price range?

User Tag List