Page 147 of 160 FirstFirst ... 4797137145146147148149157 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,470 of 1594

Thread: Scout rifle, circa 2016

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    A scout rifle (or any bolt gun) is not a battle rifle.

The scout rifle is a good general purpose hunting rifle that you could fight with in a pinch...

The forward mounted scope was an attempt to fill the niche now occupied by LPVO and RDS. It wasn’t a bad soloution at the time but we have better options now.
    Agree on all of these points. The only thing I would add is insistence on excellent precision capability (.75 MOA or better) and a truly good trigger.

IMO, a quality lightweight (7 to 7.5 lbs. with scope) bolt action with a DBM and LPVO would fit the description and serve the role well: a rifle you can carry all day with the ability to reach out far with great precision.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    what kills me most about this rifle is that it means they *could* make it correctly...
    QFT!

ETA: This thing is looking pretty badass. Makes me wonder how that picatinny rail is held on and whether the barrel attachment point couldn't be modded to hold a rear sight...

RUGER® SCOUT RIFLE
    LIPSEY'S DISTRIBUTOR EXCLUSIVE
    MODEL NUMBER: 6804

Stock American Walnut
    Front Sight Protected Blade
    Rear Sight Adjustable
    Capacity 10
    Thread Pattern 5/8"-24
    Barrel Length 16.10"
    Overall Length 37" - 38.50"
    Material Stainless Steel
    Finish Matte Stainless
    Barrel Feature Flash Suppressor
    Length Of Pull 12.75" - 14.25"
    Twist 1:10" RH
    Weight 6.7 lb.
    Grooves 6
    Ruger sells these:

http://shopruger.com/M77-GSPA-Scout-...uctinfo/90376/

Your idea is probably better than mine of a rear sight mounted to the pic rail. Anyone got the ear of someone at XS? Since they already produce a full-length rail w/rear sight, just a replacement forward section w/ integral rear sight would be a cool option.
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 12-31-2018 at 03:34 PM.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Makes me wonder how that picatinny rail is held on
    Four vertical bolts that screw into holes in the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    A scout rifle (or any bolt gun) is not a battle rifle. That was a fantasy. Col Cooper made many great contributions like the four safety rules, color codes of awareness etc but in his later years he also fell into a lot of trying to re-fight the Boer war. Bolt guns were on the way out as fighting rifles in WWI and were obsolete by WWII. They just hadn’t been fully replaced yet.
    I don't think you are giving the late Colonel quite enough credit. The scout rifle wasn't meant to be a battle rifle, but a handy rifle for an individual rifleman.

(Of course, whether this idea of a lone person with their rifle is more or less a stupid fantasy than using a bolt action rifle as a combat rifle on purpose is, I suppose, a matter of opinion.)

Between work, holiday madness, and one or more of us being sick, I was finally able to get out and shoot my CTR build today. I ended up having to order some slightly higher rings (medium), to push the Razor 1-6 further forward to get proper eye relief. I only took some cheap AE 150gr FMJ, but it looks like the rifle will have no issue meeting Tikka's accuracy guarantee. I'm not a great shot, and the 1-6 isn't the best scope for shooting tiny groups, but the last 3 shot group was just over an inch. After zeroing, we shot at a 8" gong at 100y from a few positions, including supported against a pole and unsupported. These are the two most likely shooting positions for hunting in Central FL. The Wilderness Rhodesian sling works really well.

Had a POI shift of about 3" low, and 1" left when mounting the SiCo Omega (direct thread). At least, that's what I perceived. I re-zeroed with the can on, so I'll do some testing with it on/off next weekend. I also have a couple flavors of Hornady to test (165 GMX for hogs and 150 Interlock SP for deer).

While the CTR + my optic choice fails to make the good Colonel's scout weight, and also misses the mark on a few other traditional scout characteristics, it's absolutely perfect for what I need it to do. I'm very happy with it, and look forward to shooting more next weekend.

It was late, proofreading was sloppy... "...150 Interlock SP for *deer". Sorry, dear.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    I was finally able to get out and shoot my CTR build today.
    I like!

I believe this rifle has a 1:11 twist. In my rifle (1:10) the Federal Fusion 180 is amazingly accurate, equal to or better than the GMM 175. You may want to pick up a box and give it a try.

How are you liking the CTR trigger and DBM set up?
    Last edited by NH Shooter; 01-15-2019 at 06:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    I like!

I believe this rifle has a 1:11 twist. In my rifle (1:10) the Federal Fusion 180 is amazingly accurate, equal to or better than the GMM 175. You may want to pick up a box and give it a try.

How are you liking the CTR trigger and DBM set up?
    You are correct on the 1:11 twist. I work for a Hornady LE distributor, so I have to represent.

I hear the 168 A-MAX Precision shoots really well out of these too, so I plan on trying some of that down the road. My purpose for this gun is 0-600m, most of which will be under 100m, which was the driving factor in optic selection. I may pick up a SWFA SS fixed 10x to shoot for groups eventually. Right now, it's more of a in your face hunting/GP set up, as most shots here are less than 40m in dense Central FL woodlands/swamps.

I've told the story here a few times, but injured my right hand (trigger finger) about nine years ago, pretty badly. Severed tendons, an artery, and nerves. It's all technically repaired, but a great deal of scar tissue still prevents it from bending at the first knuckle (Distal-Intermediate Phalange) . This kind of ruined me for "trigger feel". I'm pretty sensitive to weight and length, but that's about it. Too much of either, and my finger fatigues and cramps quickly (hurts for weeks). This is why I'm stuck with 1911's and SFA guns. That was the long way of saying, I'm not the guy to ask about triggers. Short answer, "I love it". lol I've not bothered to measure weight, but it works fine to me, so I'm not going to mess with it.

Some of my initial impressions....

- The safety. I was on the fence, not having any experience with it, but I find it intuitive.
    - Barrel profile. Some over on the Hide say it's similar to a "Light Palma", if that means anything to you. I like that it's thicker than a sporter profile, but not overly thick or heavy. Threading was a must have, and this seems to take the Omega weight well. I also like the extra bit of barrel shoulder, since I want to direct thread (avoid extra weight of a muzzle device and ASR mount in the Omega - this lightens/shortens it quite a bit). I was able to do 5 shot strings and still touch the barrel. The suppressor was a different story, but at least I could bare hand the barrel and use an oven mitt to check if it had backed off at all.
    - Smooth action. Wow. I mean, every bolt gun should all be like this. No exceptions.
    - DBM. Works as advertised. Wish there was a flush fit though. I bought a 5rd mag for dear hunting, even though I'm not required to in FL (Semi-autos have hunting capacity restrictions, bolt actions do not). With the can, it balances carries fine with my hand in front of of the DBM. Without the can, not so much. That said, it's thick brush here, so there's not a lot of opportunities to carry rifles in one hand.
    - Bottom metal. I like the aluminum. Feels solid, and robust, so I happily accept the marginal weight penalty.
    - Stock. Works as advertised, and LOP is perfect for me with one stock spacer (came with two, tried none, one is perfect). I REALLY like the vertical grip on the CTR.

So far, I've found nothing to dislike about the CTR. Honestly, without my pig of an optic (21.something ounces) and suppressor (14 ounces), it feels quite handy. As is, it shoots like a pussycat though, making follow-ups easy, which I like quite a bit.

Site Supporter Notorious E.O.C.'s Avatar
    @StraitR, like you, I have recently re-read this entire thread. I think I'm about four months behind you in reaching a similar conclusion:

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    This will be my one and only bolt action, used for everything one would use a bolt action for, so there will definitely be compromises. I know I want to shoot it, and shoot it a lot if I have my way. In other words, this will be my learning rifle.
    I have a line locally on a T3x Lite Compact in 7mm-08, sub-$500 NIB. Resistance is weakening...
    The way we do science in XCOM is basically by shooting things first.
    - Jake Solomon

Quote Originally Posted by Condition Write View Post
    @StraitR, like you, I have recently re-read this entire thread. I think I'm about four months behind you in reaching a similar conclusion:

I have a line locally on a T3x Lite Compact in 7mm-08, sub-$500 NIB. Resistance is weakening...
    I'd keep looking if you plan to shoot much.

A quick review of ammo prices shows that 308 is about a dime per shot cheaper than 7-08. That's for similar loads in both cartridges, and does not include milspec 7.62 NATO. $100 for every 1,000 rounds adds up quickly.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by Condition Write View Post

I don't think you could make a better rifle choice, particularly at the price. If I didn't have the suppresser, and enjoy using so much, I would have likely gone with the Lite Compact.

I spent a lot (A LOT!) of time reading and contemplating caliber. I had the rifle picked out relatively quickly, but debated caliber for a couple months. For me, the decision was either 308 or 6.5cm, and I ultimately chose 308 due to my priorities (<100m hunting and <500m plinking being tops), superior availability (cartridges/components) and bulk pricing.

I'll be putting up the AR's for 2019, focusing on this rifle and the fundamentals, with the overall goal of becoming a better rifleman.

User Tag List