Page 138 of 160 FirstFirst ... 3888128136137138139140148 ... LastLast
Results 1,371 to 1,380 of 1594

Thread: Scout rifle, circa 2016

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    That's contrary to known best practice and logic when it comes to 5.56 through a 223rem chamber, not to mention their manual ("only CIP/SAAMI compliant ammo of appropriate caliber"). You have a source, or just something you read? I'm not trying to stand you up, I just don't want to leave that here unchallenged and have some dude experience a catastrophic failure from shooting M855 through his 223rem CZ if it's not verified information.
    While this is a frequently voiced concern for safety, has anyone actually seen something bad happen from shooting 5.56 in a factory .223 Rem? In 20 years of shooting a hell of a lot of both, I've never once seen or heard or observed any issues more complicated than increased malfunctions or degraded accuracy. Same for shooting .308 Win in a factory-built gun originally made in 7.62 NATO.

I heard a more plausible story about a guy's 60's era Sako .222 Rem that was rechambered to .223 Rem and blew up when fed hot surplus 5.56, but I never saw pictures/citation/names/location etc on that either.

Site Supporter
    I have seen it accidentally done a couple times with no bad results (stuck bolts or misfeeds/jams, no explosions), but not something I'd do regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    While this is a frequently voiced concern for safety, has anyone actually seen something bad happen from shooting 5.56 in a factory .223 Rem? In 20 years of shooting a hell of a lot of both, I've never once seen or heard or observed any issues more complicated than increased malfunctions or degraded accuracy. Same for shooting .308 Win in a factory-built gun originally made in 7.62 NATO.

I heard a more plausible story about a guy's 60's era Sako .222 Rem that was rechambered to .223 Rem and blew up when fed hot surplus 5.56, but I never saw pictures/citation/names/location etc on that either.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rjohnson4405 View Post
    I have seen it accidentally done a couple times with no bad results (stuck bolts or misfeeds/jams, no explosions), but not something I'd do regularly.
    In what rifle did you observe a stuck bolt? What specific ammo? Any other signs of overpressure, or indicators of it being a 5.56 vs .223 issue and not simply tolerance creep/stacking on that weapon vs that ammo?
    Last edited by JRB; 11-19-2018 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post

I suppose it depends on how you look at such things. I won't shoot 5.56mm through a .223rem chambered barrel because the people responsible for drafting safety guidelines for such things (Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturing Institute - SAAMI) say it's a bad idea. Others, more adventurous than I, may feel compelled to find out for themselves.

It's under the SAAMI "Technical Information" tab, labeled "Unsafe Firearms & Ammunition Combinations", but HERE is a direct link to the list.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    I have a CZ 455 Varmint, and like it quite a bit. They can build a nice rifle, for sure. I wish they would have chambered the 527 in 5.56mm instead of 223rem, but more importantly, wished they would have made the twist a 1:8 instead of a 1:9. That's pushing it for anything heavier (read longer) than 62gr projectiles.

The other choice is 7.62x39, which is a great short (and medium, which is subjective) range cartridge, but boxer primed brass cased ammo isn't always readily available offline. I realize you live in shotgun only territory, so hunting isn't a factor, but x39 hunting ammunition is extremely limited. I know Hornady makes two SKU's of their SST bullet, and I believe Remington, Federal, and Winchester each make one SKU (maybe two). That said, you could buy online and stock up on $.45 a round plinking ammo from places like TargetSportsUSA.

They don't come cheap, at a $650ish street price, but they are pretty cool carbines. I catch myself looking at the 7.62x39 variant a couple times a year. I still pine for an iron sight bolt action carbine.
    I also find myself looking at the 527 carbine a few times a year. I always get lost in the caliber debate though. 223 is definitely superior for any kind of 300-600 yard plinking. 7.62x39 is a great short range hunting cartridge. Neither do anything better than my AR except look cool and classic.

I do wish they'd offer the carbine chambered in 6.5 Grendel. That would make for a sweet little rifle. Cheap Wolf ammo, long range target rounds, and good hunting ammo available. Total hipster gun.

Oh, and it would need a good receiver sight.

ETA: my favorite all time rifle is my 452 Lux with Tech Sights. It's fun to plinking with and extra fun to squirrel hunt with. If they made that rifle scaled up in 6.5G I'd die happy.
    Last edited by littlejerry; 11-19-2018 at 08:28 PM.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...24854/redirect
    6.5 Grendel

NECG makes peep sights for the 527 that are elegant and rugged.
    Last edited by jandbj; 11-20-2018 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...24854/redirect
    6.5 Grendel

NECG makes peep sights for the 527 that are elegant and rugged.
    Oh I'm aware. The current CZ config has a 24in barrel and no sights. I'm pining for the 527 carbine or Lux in 6.5

The beginnings of my "do-it-all" practical rifle. It won't win any featherweight rifle competitions, but it's not heavy to me, for my uses. Pic is crappy, but it's what I could get in my current lighting.

Tikka T3x CTR 308 20"
    Vortex Razor 1-6 Gen II-E in Warne low rings
    Wilderness Rhodesian sling on the way.

Since we are now two+ years since this thread was started, I’m wondering if the off-thexshekf market has improve at all? Is it yet possible to get the following all in one gun?
    • Controlled round feed
    • Open top bolt (for easier single-round loading)
    • 18 in “lightweight” barrel
    • Threaded
    • Iron sights that don’t have to be removed to install scope

Savage re-did the Scout. Anyone have hands on? How is it? I’m pretty sure Pat Kelley has a very favorable review.

User Tag List