Page 132 of 160 FirstFirst ... 3282122130131132133134142 ... LastLast
Results 1,311 to 1,320 of 1594

Thread: Scout rifle, circa 2016

Quote Originally Posted by jellydonut View Post
    Problem with the Arctic is the use of ridiculously expensive proprietary Tikka magazines.

I was going for their CTR which uses the same mags, but decided to buy a cheaper T3 model and an AICS-compatible chassis, and ended up actually making a less expensive setup when you count the magazines.
    I'm used to H&K MR762 magazine prices... Tikka and Steyr Scout mag prices don't scare me. LOL
    On something like a scout rifle, spare mag costs don't factor much into my decision.
    At most I'll end up buying one or two spares.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Do any of the bolt 308 magazines take stripper guides like M-14 magazines do?

Problem with the Arctic is the use of ridiculously expensive proprietary Tikka magazines.

I was going for their CTR which uses the same mags, but decided to buy a cheaper T3 model and an AICS-compatible chassis, and ended up actually making a less expensive setup when you count the magazines.
    I’d certainly prefer cheaper mags but, given that this will mostly be a hunting rifle, I don’t see my self having more than a few magazines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know it might be heresy to say so, but I think the Sako TRG and Tikka CTR magazine design is superior to that of the AI. I have rifles that use both designs: the Sako feeds better, allows a longer OAL, and holds 10 in the same size the AI holds 5.

I have restocked all my TRGs and my CTR, so the magazines are now interchangeable amongst both rifles. This means I can use CTR mags at $75 a pop versus the TRG at $160. I feel $75 per magazine is acceptable for the quality you receive. Price is roughly the same as a metal AI magazine.

For the price, I feel the CTR makes the best scout rifle. It is a very accurate rifle, the CTR bottom metal is a good design, and the rifle has a good trigger in addition to good magazines. The weak point is the plastic stock, and I addressed that by restocking the rifle in a laminated wood stock. For those interested, KRG just introduced a synthetic CTR stock, which is more reasonably priced than the high-end Manners and McMillan offerings.
    Last edited by Trigger; 11-30-2017 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Grammar edits

Quote Originally Posted by Triggerf16 View Post
    I know it might be heresy to say so, but I think the Sako TRG and Tikka CTR magazine design is superior to that of the AI. I have rifles that use both designs: the Sako feeds better, allows a longer OAL, and holds 10 in the same size the AI holds 5.

I have restocked all my TRGs and my CTR, so the magazines are now interchangeable amongst both rifles. This means I can use CTR mags at $75 a pop versus the TRG at $160. I feel $75 per magazine is acceptable for the quality you receive. Price is roughly the same as a metal AI magazine.

For the price, I feel the CTR makes the best scout rifle. It is a very accurate rifle, the CTR bottom metal is a good design, and the rifle has a good trigger in addition to good magazines. The weak point is the plastic stock, and I addressed that by restocking the rifle in a laminated wood stock. For those interested, KRG just introduced a synthetic CTR stock, which is more reasonably priced than the high-end Manners and McMillan offerings.
    The KRG Bravo stock is the one I ordered instead of buying an actual CTR. And I'm sure you're right about the mags, but I was trying to put together a budget precision rifle, so getting a T3, the Bravo, and some Magpul AICS mags was the best compromise I could get together.

The KRG Bravo stock is the one I ordered instead of buying an actual CTR. And I'm sure you're right about the mags, but I was trying to put together a budget precision rifle, so getting a T3, the Bravo, and some Magpul AICS mags was the best compromise I could get together.
    I think Whitaker’s Guns has Tikka CTRs for around $850. https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/ss-6662

Just an option, but it sounds like you already have your rifle.

Must get myself a Tikka, or three. I do wish more models were available with left-hand actions.

PSA: don't be this idiot. It turns out Magpul AICS mags aren't compatible with Tikka actions. So much for my 'research'..

Somebody please talk me out of this.
    https://www.eurooptic.com/JRTXC382-T...el-MPN-JR.aspx
    Because I am super close to pulling the trigger.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Somebody please talk me out of this.
    https://www.eurooptic.com/JRTXC382-T...el-MPN-JR.aspx
    Because I am super close to pulling the trigger.
    https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/ss-8091241
    $100 less and in stainless

The blued is out of stock but it's even less at $799
    https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/ss-5598042
    Last edited by RoyGBiv; 12-05-2017 at 03:22 PM.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List