Page 13 of 160 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Scout rifle, circa 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    That would certainly be awesome! Did you shoot at an apex of a curve or something? No matter what 2 in a row is fine shooting.
    Nothing that sophisticated -- just react and when you sense the bird coming into view, press. That is why the LPV was easier than the IER scope, which is a straw by comparison!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

A few comments on the Ruger Scout:

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Edit: It appears that 10-rd poly mags are fairly affordable and easily attained as well, for those logistically inclined.
    The polymer 10 round magazine from Ruger that I've tried turned out to be a miserable failure. The five rounder has been my primary range use magazine, and I have no complaints about that one, but the ten round magazine got eventually tossed into the trash can.

Since you guys are in the states, you have a lot of other options for 10 round mags though. You should be able to find reliable 10 rounders with no great trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I have two beefs with the Ruger Scout.

The first is the short barrel: the 308 is loud as hell in an 18" barrel. A 16" barrel is even worse. For a few shots, no problem. For sustained practice, big problem.
    I only normally shoot somewhere around 50 rounds in a single session, but even shooting from a covered firing line, I haven't have any issues with the noise. The gun is loud, yes. I simply use plugs underneath my muffs and that solves the problem for me.
    Last edited by That Guy; 07-30-2016 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    Corey, I remember you from my 270 in 2002. Hanging out in the Smithy talking 1911's and rifles; good times indeed.
    In 2002 that would have been Corey Trapp. I'm Corey Hubbard. I was in the Smithy from '91 to '96. That was a fun place to work.

Site Supporter
    This thread rocks.

I agree, great thread.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Nothing that sophisticated -- just react and when you sense the bird coming into view, press. That is why the LPV was easier than the IER scope, which is a straw by comparison!
    I am going to add a compliment and observation here. Watching GJM shoot in person it is immediately apparent that he has freakish level reflexes and hand to eye coordination. When people find things that compliment their natural abilities, it is awesome to see. Between the shooting and flying very difficult aircraft to fly (helicopters and tail draggers), GJM is able to do some stuff with far less effort than most of us. I was in a class with a SEAL once who had insane twitch reflexes.....minus the eye coordination. Picture a guy with speed levels faster than a Mr. White or GJM...but who can't hit anything. It is amazing to see folks with a couple of levels of natural ability put that together with dedicated practice. On the same lines, Mrs. GJM is a world class athlete. She actually looks slow doing things.....until you see the timer and realize that she is amazingly efficient in how she moves, and thus makes up a lot of time with efficiency.
    While it seems like typical thread drift....where it relates to the Scout rifle stuff is that many folks bodies and eye sight is different, and the optics set up will very much appeal differently to people. Most folks do not realize that Cooper was cross eye dominant and what was a huge stride for him in the forward mounted scope was not as much for others. Because I have lost my binocular vision due to injury, I now really prefer my optics farther back and closer to my dominant right eye.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Okie John, if there is a way to get an electronic copy of the Clifton catalog, I would appreciate it.
    No problem. Kinda hard to read but provided for general information. Check your PMs.

Hope this helps.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    Okie john, when you say that we've moved past the original concept, what do you mean?
    I posted that late at night after a brutal week at work, and upon reflection (and after 10 hours of uninterrupted sleep), I'd like to walk it back. I think that the concept of a short, light, general-purpose rifle is still sound, but that the way Cooper wanted to see it executed has been overtaken by events:
    • The pedestal barrel has been replaced by various executions of the 1913 rail.
    • It's possible to build an AR variant in something other than 5.56 NATO that makes weight and has the power to take medium game cleanly--IF used with modern bullets.
    • Various optics can now completely outrun the 2.5x Scout scope.

I also think that we can get away from Cooper's insistence on a 1m/3kg envelope as long as we don't go completely rogue. For instance, I think that most if not all of the long guns shown in this thread and in https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-is-the-answer would qualify with ease, even if they don't fit exactly within the envelope.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

The way y'all get revved up about revolvers is the way I feel about scout rifles, so I'm loving this thread. My concept of a scout rifle is something I can make rapid surgical hits with from 10 - 500 yards all in a handy reliable package. I've experimented with different stuff...all which didn't quite live up to my expectations. Enter the latest addition to the fold...

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1128
Size:  82.6 KB
Views: 1064
Size:  100.7 KB

This a Tikka T3X "newest version" CTR in 308. Matt Stewart of Stewart Precision cerakoted it FDE and cut the barrel to 16.5" and threaded it for my Rugged Razor that is in ATF jail. (Matt does AWESOME work BTW and is a First Class guy. He has a shop in Southeast Oklahoma). Scope is a Nightforce 2.5-10x42 that I love. Had it for a while and it's bounced around on several different rifles. Running the RMR offset and it's easily accomplishing what I hoped. I don't miss/worry about having iron backups at all. Sling is a Proctor WOTG. It's simple and I like it very much (I have them on my AR's). Stock pack is a PIG Hybrid bag model that I'm still making my mind up about.

When my Razor clears the ATF I will be running it primarily on this rifle, mounted over the top of their brake. It's only 6.5 inches.
Views: 1124
Size:  103.9 KB

Finally and most importantly... it's shooting .75 inch groups. My scout rifle concept may be a bit different than some but for me... this rifle has checked all my boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by ldunnmobile View Post
    This a Tikka T3X "newest version" CTR in 308.
    Why did you go with 308? In another thread people were saying that 308 is dead for shooting over 300 yards
    and you want to go to 500 so why not go with 6.5 creedmoor?

User Tag List