Page 103 of 160 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 1594

Thread: Scout rifle, circa 2016

Current thinking...
    Tikka T3x Lite Compact .308, cut and thread to ~18"... Still pondering.[/QUOTE]

Why 18"?

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Current thinking...
    Tikka T3x Lite Compact .308, cut and thread to ~18"... Still pondering.

Why 18"?[/QUOTE]

All that Jeff Cooper in your reading background?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Current thinking...
    Tikka T3x Lite Compact .308, cut and thread to ~18"... Still pondering.

Why 18"?
    I'm not sure what the max length is that would yield a barrel thickness big enough to thread to a standard suppressor thread.... I'm on 18 as a working number because I've read about folks who have done it (Tikka Lite) at that length before. Given the light weight at 22", I'm thinking about keeping the length.

ETA: Tikka offers a version of the Lite Stainless at 20" (510mm) that's threaded.... Might be that 20" can be done on the 22.4" Lite stainless version that Beretta has chosen to import or just thread the 20" Lite Compact (blued only) without cutting the length... TBD.
    Last edited by RoyGBiv; 10-20-2016 at 04:00 PM.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Pardon ignorance and lack of using the search within this thread, but where are we with lever scouts?

I wholly believe a .308/.30-06 Tikka is best GP/Scout solution for me, but as my frequent woods/rural gun has gone back to being a 45 Colt, it would be nice to have a matching chambering in the truck.

I know Marlin is sketch as fuck, but I don't like reload length of a Henry.

Edit: Or should I just necro the lever thread.. .
    Last edited by PNWTO; 10-20-2016 at 05:58 PM.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    gone back to being a 45 Colt, it would be nice to have a matching chambering in the truck. .
    Winchester 1873's (newest Japanese made variants), Uberti (also OEM rebranded Cimmaron, Taylors, etc.) 1873's and 1866's are fantastic guns, nothing smoother, but somewhat expensive. The Carbine versions are what I prefer, but that '66/73 preference is because of my CAS background.

The Rossi 92's are generally ok, CAS shooters don't like them because they cannot be fitted with a short stroke kit, but if you replace the stupid bolt safety with a the plug from stevesgunz.com they are usually good to go for any purpose other than race gunning. You can probably get 3 of the Rossi '92 variants for the price of the Winchester or Uberti '73's or '66's

Beware that not all 45LC brass is equal because of the wild variations in rim dimensions. Stuff that works fine in a pistol may cause cycling problems in the lever guns. Starline 45LC brass seems to be the pure safe bet in all 45 leverguns.

I don't think any of these are really set up for an optic and you would struggle to get anything on it solidly that was not mounted forward of the receiver.

The Rossi also has the benefit of being extremely strong because of the 92 locking mechanism. They can be had chambered for .454 Casull which tells me a lot about their strength.

If somebody gave me a Henry or Marlin in 45LC it would be on gunbroker by this afternoon...
    Last edited by fatdog; 10-21-2016 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    Pardon ignorance and lack of using the search within this thread, but where are we with lever scouts?

I wholly believe a .308/.30-06 Tikka is best GP/Scout solution for me, but as my frequent woods/rural gun has gone back to being a 45 Colt, it would be nice to have a matching chambering in the truck.

I know Marlin is sketch as fuck, but I don't like reload length of a Henry.

Edit: Or should I just necro the lever thread.. .
    My objection to my lever-action gun was shooting it from prone. I know it *can* be accomplished, but it seemed more difficult than it needed to be, given the option of a bolt-action.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    My objection to my lever-action gun was shooting it from prone. I know it *can* be accomplished, but it seemed more difficult than it needed to be, given the option of a bolt-action.
    I guess everything is a tradeoff. I find levers very nice to carry. The last time I shot prone was a check zero on a rifle/bipod when I didn't have any other rest about 5 years ago. Actual use in the field,....I shot some antelopes from prone over a slight rise in 1986. I used my binoculars as a rest to get up above the short sagebrush. So, when carrying a lot is a big part of the question (which it is for the vast majority of time I have a long gun in hand and not actually hunting), levers get to go for walks more than bolts. Others mileage of course may vary.

I passed on a decent 6x6 bull elk yesterday, as it was just the first day of the season. We spent 16 hours in the field, starting and ending by headlamp -- good fun and exercise.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by LGChris View Post
    There is a remote possibility that that video is an indirect result of this thread.
    Chris, great video as always.

Struggling over old stock Compact or Adjustable T3 as basis first hunting rifle for my grandson with most of these mods. Up in air about caliber, too. Tenn. is any CF legal for big game and Mason could get a whole lot of cheap practice with .223...
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

Cross posted in general discussion.

The daughter used my 20" T3 .308 to pop her deer yesterday evening. 155 Scenar, double lung/heart shot at 220 yards. With the muzzle brake on there, she does not seem to pay any attention to the recoil.

User Tag List