Thread: Scout rifle, circa 2016

This looks like a very well thought out update:

https://www.steyr-arms.com/en/hunting-rifles/scout-ii/

Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post

Glad I resisted the urge before.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post

Interesting! Thanks for the heads-up. Not sure I can justify paying a Steyr level of money, this late in life, but, I might be able to down-size enough firearms to make this happen.

Edited to add: No worries; I am not dying. Just old enough to have too many firearms, few are which are fun to shoot, anymore.
    Last edited by Rex G; 10-19-2023 at 07:17 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Interesting! Thanks for the heads-up. Not sure I can justify paying a Steyr level of money, this late in life, but, I might be able to down-size enough firearms to make this happen.

Edited to add: No worries; I am not dying. Just old enough to have too many firearms, few are which are fun to shoot, anymore.
    I hear you. I don't even want to get a new cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post

I think it has been discussed upthread, but I cannot recommend the Steyr Scout. A quick look at the page for the new one does not begin to change my mind. Ejection port is too small for single loading, the stock sucks (for me at least) in terms of fit and makes a 308 feel like it kicks, and the scout scope concept predates LPVO. No thanks.
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

- William Pitt the Younger

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    I hear you. I don't even want to get a new cat.
    When you begin refusing to buy green bananas, it's time to get your affairs in order.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911nerd View Post
    I think it has been discussed upthread, but I cannot recommend the Steyr Scout. A quick look at the page for the new one does not begin to change my mind. Ejection port is too small for single loading, the stock sucks (for me at least) in terms of fit and makes a 308 feel like it kicks, and the scout scope concept predates LPVO. No thanks.
    While it is not for everyone, the Steyr Scout really is the rifle to get if you are interested in the Scout Rifle concept. For those interested, HIGHLY recommended.

The ejection port and single loading.... not going to disagree too much, yet I will a little. It can be done and done good enough with practice and training. But given single loading while holding a full magazine in reserve is a core concept of the Scout Rifle, yes the ejection port could have/should be more accommodating.

The stock takes some getting used to, but once I did, love it. It is also adjustable, which for Scout Rifles should be on the short side.

Recoil/kick... How this is perceived is subjective, and we are all built a bit different, so I never look down on someone who doesn't find 308 comfortable to shoot. But, if you are toying with the thought of getting a light rifle such as the Steyr Scout (and it barely counts as a light rifle), light rifles do expose where we have room to improve in our rifle shooting fundamentals.

When I got mine and shot it for the first time IT HURT. It hurt because I had allowed heavier rifles with large recoil pads to mask where I had room to improve in my skills. Minimal work on my fundamentals and now I can shoot 10 round strings without pain or discomfort. 100 to 200 rounds over the course of a couple hours, working on skills, not a problem. Light rifles expose where we need to improve.

The scout scope. Contrary to claims otherwise, it is not outdated/obsolete in concept. However, it has always been the weak link in the execution of any implementation of the Scout Rifle concept. There has never, ever been a proper, well designed, well thought out, and well manufactured scout scope. Never. The closest we ever got to anything approaching ideal was the now discontinued Leupold vx-r scout 1.5-5x33. The concepts behind it are not well understood, thus there is little market, since there is little market and sales are low, there is no incentive to put R&D money into a well-executed scout scope. So, we end up with a circular problem...a perception the scope concept sucks/outdated because it has been poorly executed to date, thus sales are not where they need to be to invest in R&D, which leads to the continued perception it sucks or is outdated...which leads to low sales. you get the idea.

Do LPVOs replace it? Well sort of and yes. First, no LPVO can do what Cooper was wanting. But some models out there such as the Nightforce NX8 1-8 appear to come very close. LPVOs replace not because of inherent superiority, but because they are readily available, and a quality scout scope is not. Until we have a truly well executed design, which is better is an open-ended debate that will never be resolved.

I am lucky enough to have picked up a vx-r scout scope before they disappeared. I am very impressed with it, and honestly torn which is better? VX-R or an LPVO. Love me a good LPVO, but the VX-R It is like having the best of both worlds.

My two cents on the Steyr Scout 2.0. Not sure they justify the 2.0 hype. But they are worthy improvements. Now if they could have also reduced the weight on the rifle and moved back in the direction of the 6.6 pound ideal weight... THAT would have been worthy of the 2.0 label.

Is it worth getting? I think so. But will it be for you? That depends on your level of interest in general-purpose rifles, and in learning to shoot a lightweight general-purpose rifle that follows the Scout Rifle concept fairly closely. More so than any other commercial offering.
    Last edited by 308Rifle; 10-20-2023 at 01:30 AM.

Ruger Ranch Rifle in 5.56 is as close as I’m probably going to get. Boy it’s a great shooter.

Name:  IMG_3848.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  46.9 KB
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

The Steyr upgrades look nice and make a lot of sense to me.

When I was big into long guns (for medical reasons I am no longer) I owned the Steyr scout in 6.5CR and the Savage interpretation of the scout in 308.

That Steyr had a 1-6 LPVO mounted and would ring a 10" steel plate at 700 yards all day long even with my old blind shaky ass shooting it. I really loved it. The only negatives I would cite is the built in bipod is a complete joke and a waste of plastic and the sling swivels are a poor design, destined to break. I think after the third time I tried it, the bipod thing got snapped back in place and never came down again.

The Savage was a solid 500 yard rifle with my handloads, did 1 moa at 100 yards, had the same Vortex LPVO, and I would consider it a best buy, high value thing if you are just planning to use it for the original intended purpose of the scout concept. They were smart enough to make it compatible with standard AI mags and the Magpul mags worked great.

I belonged to a club that had steel at random places from 100 to 1000 yards in those days and both rifles were a blast to go challenge myself using that LPVO to see what I could ring. It made for a very fun day. They were both a joy to shoot.

A good friend has the Ruger scout in 308 and likes his as well. His will not shoot the same groups I could get out of the Savage but it is probably a 1.5 moa rifle.

I don't think the scout scope concept lives for most at this point, the modern LPVO is such an obvious choice now to top one of these off.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

What i like in the Steyr Scout has nothing to do with the "scout" concept--there are not many lightweight, magazine fed, three-position tang-safety rifles on the market; let alone rifles that have those features and also come with excellent triggers, accurate barrels and adjustable synthetic stocks. I personally wish Steyr had deleted the bipod from the Scout II, but it does come in handy when setting down the rifle in the field where there isn't a handy tree to lean it against.

User Tag List