Page 151 of 160 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152153 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,510 of 1594

Thread: Scout rifle, circa 2016

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I "hear" this all the time on the internet, yet it never seems to come with a "click this link to see the guy I know/used/am familiar with/etc."
    https://www.doveguns.com/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/steve-bons-93738b5b

https://www.scoutrifle.org/index.php?topic=6769.0
    Last edited by jandbj; 09-23-2019 at 07:21 PM.

Is Steve Bons still in business? Last I heard he had closed up shop. That was a couple years ago. His website lingered until recently and now the domain name is up for grabs

Not positive what’s up with Steve, but Jerry Dove is definitely still in the game. I’m a fan os Steve’s flip up peep sight design he used on the Recon. Would be an easy task for any competent machinist to duplicate.

Site Supporter
    My one centerfire bolt gun is a Winchester M70 "Westerner" in 30-06 given to me new by my wife in '82. Push feed bolt and blind four round magazine. Still has the crappy Tasco 3x9 scope on it when bought then. It worked fine on the one deer I killed in '97 with a running shot at about thirty-five yards. It desperately needs a better scope and sling swivels installed.
    Researching scopes has been like drinking from a fire hose. The club I belong to has a 600 yard range and I wouldn't mind something capable of utilizing that along with possible woods/clearcut hunting here in VA even though my M94 30-30 would probably be more sensible for 90 percent of my potential hunting.
    I have lusted after a scout rifle for years but could make do nicely with the one bolt gun I have once I update the optics and put on a proper sling even though it would be about nine pounds. It is not comfortable from the bench recoil wise (I have the bruises to prove it) so a Caldwell lead sled is being considered.
    A more compact .308 or 6.5 CM gun is tempting, but would be more expensive. I could use the money to get a better scope for my current rifle and use the open sight 30-30 in bad weather or deep woods.

Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    My one centerfire bolt gun is a Winchester M70 "Westerner" in 30-06 given to me new by my wife in '82. Push feed bolt and blind four round magazine. Still has the crappy Tasco 3x9 scope on it when bought then. It worked fine on the one deer I killed in '97 with a running shot at about thirty-five yards. It desperately needs a better scope and sling swivels installed.
    Researching scopes has been like drinking from a fire hose. The club I belong to has a 600 yard range and I wouldn't mind something capable of utilizing that along with possible woods/clearcut hunting here in VA even though my M94 30-30 would probably be more sensible for 90 percent of my potential hunting.
    I have lusted after a scout rifle for years but could make do nicely with the one bolt gun I have once I update the optics and put on a proper sling even though it would be about nine pounds. It is not comfortable from the bench recoil wise (I have the bruises to prove it) so a Caldwell lead sled is being considered.
    A more compact .308 or 6.5 CM gun is tempting, but would be more expensive. I could use the money to get a better scope for my current rifle and use the open sight 30-30 in bad weather or deep woods.
    Nothing wrong with a pusher M-70, especially in 30-06. SWFA just introduced a 2-10-ish lightweight that might do what you want.

Scouts are overrated. They look cool, but most of the shoot offs at Gunsite were won by guys with conventionally-scoped sporters.

As for recoil, look at 30-06 loads put together for the M-1 Garand. They offer 308 ballistics and don’t kick too hard. Also consider revising your bench technique—it’s way more important than you think.

Far be it from me to suggest that you just be practical, but a 4x Leupold on your 30-06 might go a lot farther than you think.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

FIFY

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Scouts are overrated. They look cool, but most of the shoot offs at Gunsite were won by guys with a M1A.

Okie John
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    FIFY
    I stand corrected.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    Hi all,

Rather than start a whole new thread I thought I'd add on to this one. In the year 2020 for someone's first (and likely only) general-purpose, practical bolt action rifle, would you recommend .308 Win or 6.5 CM?. The goal of the rifle is to be able to accurately engage targets from 0-500 yards max (200-300 yards would be more common). At 500 yards, being able to hit a 12" steel plate with regularity would be ideal. I do not hunt, nor am I a PRS shooter. I'd simply like to build my marksmanship skills and have a versatile, non-semi-auto rifle. I estimate the rifle would be shot perhaps 250-350 rounds per year, and maybe 20-25 shots per range visit.

Thanks for your time.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris17404 View Post
    Hi all,

Rather than start a whole new thread I thought I'd add on to this one. In the year 2020 for someone's first (and likely only) general-purpose, practical bolt action rifle, would you recommend .308 Win or 6.5 CM?. The goal of the rifle is to be able to accurately engage targets from 0-500 yards max (200-300 yards would be more common). At 500 yards, being able to hit a 12" steel plate with regularity would be ideal. I do not hunt, nor am I a PRS shooter. I'd simply like to build my marksmanship skills and have a versatile, non-semi-auto rifle. I estimate the rifle would be shot perhaps 250-350 rounds per year, and maybe 20-25 shots per range visit.

Thanks for your time.

Chris
    Someone will answer…

Tikka T3x of a variety that makes sense. 6.5 is ballistically "superior," pre ammo craziness I would have said 308 is more available, I have no clue now.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris17404 View Post
    Hi all,

Thanks for your time.

Chris
    Frankly, I'd suggest going "eeny meeny miney moe" and picking one. Technically the 6.5 CM is "superior" but at the distances you're talking about it's a gnat's ass worth of difference. I think the difference between .308 and 6.5 at 500 yards is about five inches of drop. When you start pushing things out beyond that, it becomes significant.

Most of the time when people compare rifle cartridges, the differences in trajectory don't become significant until we're talking ranges beyond which your average person shoots.

I'm heavily invested in .308 so I don't anticipate ever changing. 300 yards is a long shot for me anymore. If all my stuff burned down, and I was starting from zero, I'd be inclined to go 6.5 because the recoil should be lower.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List