Page 134 of 160 FirstFirst ... 3484124132133134135136144 ... LastLast
Results 1,331 to 1,340 of 1594

Thread: Scout rifle, circa 2016

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    Bumping just to add a neat little write-up I saw for a custom GP rifle.

An uberlight .358 Win Kimber @ 4.5 lbs field-ready.
    Love the .358 Win.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    Bumping just to add a neat little write-up I saw for a custom GP rifle.

An uberlight .358 Win Kimber @ 4.5 lbs field-ready.
    Funny you should mention that. I was just coming over here to post a link to that.

I don't think I'd want to shoot a 4.5lb .358 Win mag very much, but I'd sure like carrying it around. That's only a pound more than my Marlin Papoose!
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I don't think I'd want to shoot a 4.5lb .358 Win mag very much, but I'd sure like carrying it around.
    It's not a magnum -- it's a necked-up .308.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Right. That was mistyping on my part. Still...
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt C. View Post
    Love the .358 Win.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    I think it would be neat to see that cartridge experience a resurgence in popularity.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I think it would be neat to see that cartridge experience a resurgence in popularity.
    Me too. I've considered sending a .308 off to JES to be rebored to .358. I may actually do it with a Henry Single shot. I'd have a 22" barreled .358 Winchester that would be shorter than my 20" lever action .30-30. Top it off with a 1-4x scope and I'd have a short, light handy elk rifle for hunting in the thick timber we have here.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    In a 4.5# rifle, it will have certain magnum characteristics.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I just acquired the Browning forward-mount scope base for the barreled portion of my BLR Takedown. I do not yet have a scout scope, but figured I had better buy a mount before the spotty availability becomes unavailability. I could be up-and-running within days, with an Aimpoint Micro T-1, but am yet not sure I want to temporarily commit one of my Micros, only to remove it when I can buy a scout scope, around March. On the other hand, maybe I would want to leave a T-1 on this rifle, long-term, anyway, and then buy myself another Aimpoint Micro, or similar optic, in a few months.
    Last edited by Rex G; 01-08-2018 at 09:33 PM.

I got a back in stock notice today for the Tikka Artic,

https://www.eurooptic.com//Tikka-T3x...m_medium=email

I am not seeing the $1,848.00 of value here, but interesting none the less....

So I've taken the last few days and read this thread from the beginning. I really like the concept of the practical rifle, and I don't have anything bigger than .223/5.56 in the safe currently. The "practical rifle" as discussed here pretty much covers everything for me. It seems most speak highly of Tikka, and some say it is the "Glock" of rifles, so I've been looking through their offerings in 308.

My only hangup is that the rifle MUST be threaded for suppressor use. I shoot suppressed 100% of the time, when possible. Upstream I read that Beretta has stated cutting/threading a barrel would void warranty and accuracy guarantee. There is also the question of sufficient barrel thickness for cutting/threading the Lite Compact version.

My preference would be buy a rifle and start shooting without modification. I prefer to leave guns mechanically stock. This leaves me with one Tikka T3x choice, and that's the CTR, but it's 1.5lbs heavier than the Lite Compact. Is this just something I'll have to live with if I want a factory threaded barrel?

I'm a bolt gun newbie, and will be using this to explore bolt guns and do some skill building. Additionally, I will use it for hunting deer/hogs/coyotes with friends (who also hunt suppressed).

TL;DR.... Threaded barrel is a must have. Thoughts on the 7.4 pound T3x CTR with LPVO as a do-it-all practical rifle? Other option would be a Ruger American Predator w/ AICS pattern mags at 6.2 pounds. In short, is the Tikka worth the 1.2ish pound weight penalty?

ETA: I have felt both rifles, and I greatly prefer the overall feel of the T3x CTR as they are stock, but the weight and handling difference is noticeable. That said, the only CTR I have access to is a 24" 6.5cm which is 7.9lbs, a half pound heavier and 4" longer than the 20" 308 version.

ETA2: The more I think about this, the more a Ruger American Predator in a Magpul Hunter stock is sounding better (read lighter, shorter and cheaper), at least to figure out what I don't know about bolt rifles. The readily available and lower cost AICS pattern PMAG's are a plus, too.
    Last edited by StraitR; 10-20-2018 at 10:14 AM.

User Tag List