Page 123 of 160 FirstFirst ... 2373113121122123124125133 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,230 of 1594

Thread: Scout rifle, circa 2016

Thanks for the kind words on my old 1911. Now to get us back on the rifle track, I give you a classic example of the pawnshop 30-06:

It cost me $600 OTD with a Leupold 3-9 (not the one on it in the pic).

Build Sheet
    Barreled action: Ruger M-77 Mk II in 30-06
    Stock: Bell & Carlson, not sure which model, with a hillbilly Krylon paint job that's starting to wear off along the forend
    Scope: Leupold 3-9 with CDS, standard reticle
    Work: Glass bedded, free floated, maybe a trigger job
    Metal Finish: Whatever comes from Ruger, but I'll paint it dark gray before I hunt with it
    Sling: Cheap Latigo copy
    Weight: 8.5 pounds, which is OK because I don't like a rifle that's too light. I might switch to fixed 4x for hunting, which will drop the weight by about six ounces.

Every time I uncase it, I feel like I should grow a mullet and use it to jacklight deer out of a Camaro. But it shoots MOA to 200 yards with cheap Federal factory ammo so I'm growing irrationally fond of it--so much so that its near-twin in 338 WM should be here in a few days.

I might just be set for hunting rifles now.

Okie John
    Last edited by okie john; 02-12-2017 at 12:20 AM.
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

My main squeeze for the last 15 years has been a stainless M77Mk2 in .308, with a 18" barrel, Bell and Carlson Carbelite, krylon camo job (I prefer "Appalachian American), and a Leupold 1.75 to 5. It will shoot 1.5" @ 100 with any FedRemChester hunting load I buy at Walmart, and slightly better with better ammo. What I love about it, is it holds its zero even after miles of bad logging roads that busted my friend's ACOG, and despite the fact that I manage to fall down the mountain every elk season.

I had a Timney trigger in it, but found that it didn't fair well being wet all the time.

At the moment it's in pieces, as I'm installing a PTG DBM bottom metal and while I'm at it, I might as well pillar bed it.

My mullet days are over though.

I can't tell you the number of times I've thought about getting something "nicer" with walnut, blued, etc, but the weather here during hunting season just eats nice guns.
    Last edited by Lester Polfus; 02-12-2017 at 12:51 AM.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Okie John, Looks like you found a bargain.

Back to Scout Rifles. Has everyone seen the You Tube clips on using the Ruger Scout Rifle?

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...u8ewciCeHsfmY4

Several months ago, I finagled a Howa Alpine Rifle from a buddy of mine. It's not a true Scout--more of a Scout-like object--but it checks a lot of the boxes. Due to family issues I wasn’t able to work with it much until this week. Yesterday, I set it up with a proven 4x Leupold scope in Weaver rings and bases. I LocTited everything in place and let it cure for 24 hours, then took it to the range this afternoon. I zeroed it at 200 yards with 155-grain Hornady American Gunner ammo because that’s what I had on hand.

The rifle as tested:

First group at 100 yards was 0.625”:

Rings are higher than I'd like, but I'll upgrade as time goes on. I got a couple of other sub-MOA groups at 200 yards, which was nice. I haven’t shot it any more than this, but I’ll do a series of more complete workouts with it in the next few months and I’ll keep you guys posted as I go.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I opened a new thread on this rifle to keep from derailing this one any more than I already have: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....688#post576688

Okie John

Thanks to this thread and a couple others I finally picked up my new bolt rifle. A Tikka T3x Lite Stainless LH in .308WIN.

I plan on adding a fixed 4x Leupold (who's procurement was graciously aided by a PF'er who shall remain nameless for now), Talley rings and bases, a Rhodesian nylon sling, a Pig stock pouch, and enough ammo to zero and practice with.

Thank you to everyone who provided guidance and suggestions. I greatly appreciate it and definitely looking forward to sending rounds downrange and bringing home more whitetail this upcoming season.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Keep us posted.

Okie John

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Yep. TIG for the win on the Novaks.

I wore that pistol every waking minute for 16 years. I was wearing it when I met my first wife, when I proposed to her, and when I married her. I was also wearing it when I saw our our son being born, and I may have been wearing it when he was conceived.

Okie John
    Cooper would be proud.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Attachment 15011

I just wanted to thank the original author and all the contributors here. This thread has been more than instructive and helpful.

I build my first pseudo scout in the late 80’s using a Winchester 70 featherweight as the starting point, my second was built mid 90’s from a Ruger 77 ”International” with the Manlicher style stock. I was not satisfied with either and sold them off to friends. This third iteration, inspired totally by ideas in this thread feels “just right” as Goldilocks would have said.

Tikka T3 Lite in .30-06 with a Sig Sauer 1-6x24 TANGO6 30mm scope (Japanese made) on a set of Warne rings with a Rhodesian sling. The scope is essentially a 3-gun scope with a daylight visible dot on top of a nice MOA reticle and ˝ MOA spinable turrets, uses CR2032 battery. I have about $1,250.00 in the entire package.

After assembly I have worked with it for about 3 months now getting zeroed, adjusting things, and ballistic tables translated to actuals as verified, etc. Today I went to the “random target” rifle range at this club where there are steel USPSA “B/C” targets at various ranges from 180 to 750 yards. My abilities with the platform let me get the array at 535 yards and everything closer simply on demand. I was not able to get consistent hits beyond that with the 6X setting and my current vision skill levels, probably not the limitations of the rifle or the ammo. The scope adjustments have always seemed very repeatable.

While probably not suitable for invading a foreign country, this “scout” is everything I could have ever hoped for with this concept and exceeds my expectations for what I wanted my scout interpretation to be. Thanks again for all here who helped me find my way on this one.

While not Scout, or in the exact niche of the modern rifles, I think some bolt shooters may appreciate this. Its a bit long (don't forget about being able to jump in 5 second intervals with the arrow keys once you've left clicked on the screen to pause and start it again), and somewhat repetitive, but towards the end they talk about slicking up the points on the bolts and greasing them to get them so fast. And fast they are. Norwegian Krags. They have a commercial made speed loader of sorts that slaps 5 rds in the open mag well of the Krag. Its in Norwegianese, but interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWIi5m9-0S8
    Last edited by Malamute; 03-22-2017 at 11:56 PM.

User Tag List