Page 157 of 160 FirstFirst ... 57107147155156157158159 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,570 of 1594

Thread: Scout rifle, circa 2016

Dropped by a big-box store near my house last night. The situation is still dire, but they had 10-15 boxes of Federal 308A, which is their bottom-of-the-line 150-grain load, and about that much Federal 308B, which is their bottom-of-the-line 180-grain load. I bought two boxes of each.

It has been interesting to watch how the ammo went away. Now it will be interesting to watch how it comes back.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post
    I’m right on the cusp of buying a Steyr Scout in 243, for absolutely no practical reason whatsoever. I want a ban proof, lightweight, accurate and flat shooting bolt gun for whitetail deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ban proof? Where's that meme of Kamala saying, "hold my martini"?

I'm waiting for shipping notification on my 6.5 CM-flavored SS, for similar reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I reckon there's a LH .270 Tikka for you out there somewhere...
    Hadn't looked at this thread in awhile.

Earlier in the Chicom attack they sent several of my agency's divisions home for a couple weeks.

I had been picking up parts to make my ol' Remington 700 .308 more efficient, including a KRG composite bolt KNOB and a high-end Timney flat trigger that goes below 1-lb.

Went to Wally Whirled to grab five boxes of good ol' blue box 150s (.5 in the LTR) & the cupboard was empty!

I'd learnt during the last few panics that .270 and other older hunting cartridges were never in short supply. So grabbed five boxes of 130s for my 700 Mountain Rifle in 6.8 O'Connor.

And I came home with a brand-new plan: put the Timney and KRG on the 32-year-old deer/antelope reaper and make it Pandemic Perfect with an old T1 from the old world.

Couldn't be happier with the slick fast-cycling action and trigger set at about 1.2 lbs.

So bought five boxes of 100-grain Remmy varmint loads that will produce hydrostatic effects like simultaneous hits with .22/250 rounds. Fury is already taken so I just call my Reagan-era rifle the .277 Peeved.

Also got 5 boxes of Remington Managed Recoil 115-grainers on the Web so bad people will think I have a 6.8 AR when they hear a shot.

Kidding aside, it is a low-key, well-balanced, fast-swinging, power tool for hard-times.

And got 6x42 Leupold zeroed in rings for it, if the Aimpoint ever breaks or can't get 2032s

If the WX cooperates I'll take some pics this weekend.
    Last edited by coldcase1984; 11-07-2020 at 09:52 AM.
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Nobody else will ever pay you a nickel for leaving a gun behind. On the other hand, you do pay yourself several Benjamins for every gun that you leave behind. Stuff adds up.

One guy on this site who has like three pistols drives a Porsche.
    Purely for depreciation purposes, I'd rather have more pistols...

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I did a search and this seems to be the thread where the Howa Mini gets the most mention.

For non-SHOT this year, Howa announced the Carbon Stalker Mini action. 22-in, standard profile barrel with a carbon fiber stock and weighing 4 lb, 10 oz. Chamber options are 6.5G, .223, 7.62x39 and .350 Legend (16.25-in barrel).

https://www.legacysports.com/brands/...bon-stalker-2/

There are a few in the wild so far.

I've seen a 6.5G weighed at 4 lb, 11.4 oz.

I've seen a claim of a .223 weighing 4 lb, 15 oz., after the owner subtracted the published weights of his scope and mounts.

I suspect the 4 lb, 10 oz. was probably the 7.62x39, and I'm guessing the .350 Legend might come a little lighter.

There are two possible sources of hinged-floorplate bottom metal, one of which has "temporarily" suspended production. Unfortunately, that is the one with the longer mag box length.

I kinda want one of these.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I did a search and this seems to be the thread where the Howa Mini gets the most mention.

For non-SHOT this year, Howa announced the Carbon Stalker Mini action. 22-in, standard profile barrel with a carbon fiber stock and weighing 4 lb, 10 oz. Chamber options are 6.5G, .223, 7.62x39 and .350 Legend (16.25-in barrel).

https://www.legacysports.com/brands/...bon-stalker-2/

There are a few in the wild so far.

I've seen a 6.5G weighed at 4 lb, 11.4 oz.

I've seen a claim of a .223 weighing 4 lb, 15 oz., after the owner subtracted the published weights of his scope and mounts.

I suspect the 4 lb, 10 oz. was probably the 7.62x39, and I'm guessing the .350 Legend might come a little lighter.

There are two possible sources of hinged-floorplate bottom metal, one of which has "temporarily" suspended production. Unfortunately, that is the one with the longer mag box length.

I kinda want one of these.
    If 6.5G wasn't stupid expensive right now that would be a tempting buy.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Yeah, I'm weighing all the parts of my .260 Tikka and reading about lightweight stocks.

I figured out that the 123gr SST Hornady engineered to expand reliably when launched from the 6.5G would be a pretty effective extra-low recoil load if downloaded to about 2500 fps in the .260.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

New “scout” from Christensen Arms.

https://christensenarms.com/ridgeline-scout/

16” barrel, AICS magazines.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    New “scout” from Christensen Arms.

https://christensenarms.com/ridgeline-scout/

16” barrel, AICS magazines.
    not what I want, but looks pretty goddamn badass!

Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    not what I want, but looks pretty goddamn badass!

You ain’t kidding. Big price tag but damn nice.

User Tag List