Page 149 of 160 FirstFirst ... 4999139147148149150151159 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,490 of 1594

Thread: Scout rifle, circa 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Out here I have access to a 1000yd range so 6.5CM is kinda tempting. Lower recoil is nice too. I'd likely be happy with either.
    I see 6.5cm and 308win as two different calibers for two different purposes. While somewhat interchangeable, one excels at precision at the cost of barrel life, while the other is more GP/Practical rifle friendly but gives up some ballistic advantages (simplicity) at distance. Go with whichever best suits your needs. Of course, softer recoil is always welcomed.

Nm....
    Last edited by David S.; 02-22-2019 at 04:36 PM.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Between work, holiday madness, and one or more of us being sick, I was finally able to get out and shoot my CTR build today. I ended up having to order some slightly higher rings (medium), to push the Razor 1-6 further forward to get proper eye relief. I only took some cheap AE 150gr FMJ, but it looks like the rifle will have no issue meeting Tikka's accuracy guarantee. I'm not a great shot, and the 1-6 isn't the best scope for shooting tiny groups, but the last 3 shot group was just over an inch. After zeroing, we shot at a 8" gong at 100y from a few positions, including supported against a pole and unsupported. These are the two most likely shooting positions for hunting in Central FL. The Wilderness Rhodesian sling works really well.

Had a POI shift of about 3" low, and 1" left when mounting the SiCo Omega (direct thread). At least, that's what I perceived. I re-zeroed with the can on, so I'll do some testing with it on/off next weekend. I also have a couple flavors of Hornady to test (165 GMX for hogs and 150 Interlock SP for deer).

While the CTR + my optic choice fails to make the good Colonel's scout weight, and also misses the mark on a few other traditional scout characteristics, it's absolutely perfect for what I need it to do. I'm very happy with it, and look forward to shooting more next weekend.

Thread Bump!

Tis the Season!

Oh yeah. Confirming zero with Hornady 150gr Interbond this weekend. A friend and I will be calling for coyotes later that evening.

One thing I’ve noticed about the CTR with 21 ounce Razor 1-6, it does not carry well one handed without the suppressor due to the mags pushing your hand further forward. Fortunately I don’t ever shoot it without the can, but still.

If a guy wanted irons installed on his bolt rifle, especially if there was some fabrication wanted, what gunsmiths are still out there that can do that sort of work? Brockman isn't taking on new work, Robar is closing its doors.

Quote Originally Posted by Jfpatch View Post
    If a guy wanted irons installed on his bolt rifle, especially if there was some fabrication wanted, what gunsmiths are still out there that can do that sort of work? Brockman isn't taking on new work, Robar is closing its doors.
    I’d love to know this as well. All I really want is a Winchester m70 featherweight with a cut-down, threaded barrel and irons sights installed.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I’d love to know this as well. All I really want is a Winchester m70 featherweight with a cut-down, threaded barrel and irons sights installed.
    I'm sure it's buried in this thread somewhere, would you mind re-explaining your personal preference for fixed vs DBM mags? I seem to recall Randy Cain's course influenced this preference.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by Jfpatch View Post
    Plenty of people can add aftermarket sights without a lot of fuss. How do you define fabrication?

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    I'm sure it's buried in this thread somewhere, would you mind re-explaining your personal preference for fixed vs DBM mags? I seem to recall Randy Cain's course influenced this preference.
    For me, one of the benefits to a bolt-action is the low-snag, slim profile. I'm also not really interested in or worried about sticking 10, 15, 30 round magazines in the gun. Even when you use only 5-round detachable magazines, they seem to still protrude from the bottom.

I also, right or wrong, perceived detachable magazines as being less reliable, increase the count of failure points, and more prone to operator error. Although I do like, in theory, the concept that (I believe the Steyr Scout came with?) a detachable mag can be dropped down a notch on the catch to allow for single-round loading from the top.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Plenty of people can add aftermarket sights without a lot of fuss. How do you define fabrication?
    I "hear" this all the time on the internet, yet it never seems to come with a "click this link to see the guy I know/used/am familiar with/etc."

User Tag List