Page 153 of 160 FirstFirst ... 53103143151152153154155 ... LastLast
Results 1,521 to 1,530 of 1594

Thread: Scout rifle, circa 2016

Site Supporter
    My suggestion for anyone that wants a bolt rifle of any type. Go with an action that has prefit barrels available. Tikka has prefits, other mfgs Like Bighorn, Defiance and a few others have Proof Research and other barrels readily available. This means that you can do your own barrel swaps with a few tools. Gone are the days of needing to send in your rifle and wait months for a gunsmith to do a rebarrel job. I’m literally in the middle of swapping my Origin from 300 WSM, back to 6.5 CM. It took me longer to type this than swap the barrels.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate56 View Post
    My suggestion for anyone that wants a bolt rifle of any type. Go with an action that has prefit barrels available. Tikka has prefits, other mfgs Like Bighorn, Defiance and a few others have Proof Research and other barrels readily available. This means that you can do your own barrel swaps with a few tools. Gone are the days of needing to send in your rifle and wait months for a gunsmith to do a rebarrel job. I’m literally in the middle of swapping my Origin from 300 WSM, back to 6.5 CM. It took me longer to type this than swap the barrels.
    Quoting because it's easier than typing it again. The whole prefit ecosystem has developed dramatically in the past two years.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Quoting because it's easier than typing it again. The whole prefit ecosystem has developed dramatically in the past two years.
    Absolutely. I have Rem 700s fitted with “Remage” barrel nut setups, and I thought that was neat for swapping barrels. But with modern machining, prefits are the only way to go now.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    In the market, I see barrel nut systems advertised as "prefits" by various manufacturers. In theory, it would make sense to distinguish a machined shoulder from a nut system, but a significant portion of the industry is not restricting its use of the term "prefit" to shouldered systems.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Thank you, everyone, for the knowledge you shared on caliber choice for a practical bolt action rifle. I have a somewhat related question. For a general purpose rifle I’m trying to decide on how lightweight of a barrel to go with. I’m essentially choosing between a Tikka T3X Lite vs the CTR. I’m assuming that cold bore accuracy will essentially be the same with both barrel profiles. The difference will come when the barrel gets hot. My question is... how rapid of a shot cadence can be maintained such that the lighter weight barrel in the Lite rifle won’t suffer noticeable accuracy issues? One shot per minute? Less frequent? And how does that differ for the heavier barrel of the CTR? What difference in practical accuracy will be seen between the two, and what impact should that have on my decision, based on my stated goals? Thanks!

Site Supporter
    For a sporter profile barrel- most recommend a 3 shot group, Then let the barrel cool. Heavier profiles can obviously sustain a higher rate of fire. It’s not so much as “one shot per minute/30 seconds” etc, but more 3 shots back to back, then let cool.

That’s for maximum accuracy. You can shoot much more rapidly, and not hurt the barrel, but accuracy may suffer. In PRS type matches, almost every stage is 10-12 rounds, fired in 90 seconds or so. Yeah the barrels get hot, but they can maintain their accuracy due to heavy profile barrels.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate56 View Post
    For a sporter profile barrel- most recommend a 3 shot group, Then let the barrel cool. Heavier profiles can obviously sustain a higher rate of fire. It’s not so much as “one shot per minute/30 seconds” etc, but more 3 shots back to back, then let cool.

That’s for maximum accuracy. You can shoot much more rapidly, and not hurt the barrel, but accuracy may suffer. In PRS type matches, almost every stage is 10-12 rounds, fired in 90 seconds or so. Yeah the barrels get hot, but they can maintain their accuracy due to heavy profile barrels.
    I gotcha. Thank you, msstate56. What is the recommended period of time to wait for a sporter profile barrel to cool vs. a heavier barrel? So I guess I really need to decide how I'll be using this rifle. While the Tikka T3X Lite is about $400 less than the CTR, there's really no downside for me to go with the heavier barrel, since I don't anticipate carrying it around extensively. The biggest choice is the mag type (3-5 rounds vs 10-round). But also... what conceptual rifle I really want: a lightweight practical rifle I can carry (would dictate a light optic too, perhaps a 1-6x/1-8x LPVO) or a heavier weight rifle that's more of a "precision-oriented" rig using a 3-15x type of optic.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris17404 View Post
    What is the recommended period of time to wait for a sporter profile barrel to cool vs. a heavier barrel?
    For absolute best accuracy with a Remington 700 factory barrel, I keep it to one shot every 2-3 minutes on a hot day. On cold days I can go faster.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris17404 View Post
    I gotcha. Thank you, msstate56. What is the recommended period of time to wait for a sporter profile barrel to cool vs. a heavier barrel? So I guess I really need to decide how I'll be using this rifle. While the Tikka T3X Lite is about $400 less than the CTR, there's really no downside for me to go with the heavier barrel, since I don't anticipate carrying it around extensively. The biggest choice is the mag type (3-5 rounds vs 10-round). But also... what conceptual rifle I really want: a lightweight practical rifle I can carry (would dictate a light optic too, perhaps a 1-6x/1-8x LPVO) or a heavier weight rifle that's more of a "precision-oriented" rig using a 3-15x type of optic.
    Basically if it’s too hot to grab the barrel bare handed, and hold on, let it cool. If you can comfortably hold on to the barrel, it’s cool enough.

Pro Tip: in warm weather I take a small cooler with ice water, and some of those “super absorbent” frog togg type cooling rags. I soak the rags and wrap my barrel (and suppressor). It cools the barrels down much faster so I can get back to shooting.

Site Supporter
    I wouldn’t fret too much on getting super light. I’ve carried an 11# rifle all over 4 states, up to 10,200 ft ASL. In a .30 magnum, I’ll take the extra weight for a better shooting platform. Some mountain hunters are obsessed with getting a 6# rifle. But most of them think 400 yards is a long way away too 🤷.

Don’t sell your rifle short. If you want to shoot beyond 300 or so, you’ll want that 3-15x. Just because you run a sporter barrel doesn’t mean it can’t be long range accurate. I’ve got a .300 Win Mag with a Criterion heavy sporter barrel (a couple ounces heavier than a lightweight sporter) and it is a solid .5 MOA rifle out to beyond 1,000 yards. I just don’t shoot more than 3-4 rounds in a string.
    Last edited by msstate56; 09-29-2020 at 01:03 PM.

User Tag List