Page 150 of 160 FirstFirst ... 50100140148149150151152 ... LastLast
Results 1,491 to 1,500 of 1594

Thread: Scout rifle, circa 2016

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I "hear" this all the time on the internet, yet it never seems to come with a "click this link to see the guy I know/used/am familiar with/etc."
    So how do you define fabrication?

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    So how do you define fabrication?
    I don't really care to.

I just want to know who can cut down the barrel on a Winchester M70, thread it, and install a set of barrel-mounted iron sights.

And if someone has an idea of cost, particularly a breakdown separating the sight work from the barrel work, and approximate lead times, that would be great.

Plenty of people can add aftermarket sights without a lot of fuss. How do you define fabrication?

Okie John
    I'll define it as I'd like a folding, receiver mounted peep, capable of windage adjustment, embedded in a Picatinny rail, mounted on the rear bridge. I'd like to be able to fold in down and mount an optic and flip it up when the optic is removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jfpatch View Post
    I'll define it as I'd like a folding, receiver mounted peep, capable of windage adjustment, embedded in a Picatinny rail, mounted on the rear bridge. I'd like to be able to fold in down and mount an optic and flip it up when the optic is removed.
    Redfield used to make a base with a folding peep screwed onto the back of it, like this: https://www.ebay.com/p/1301426187 It was adjustable for windage and elevation to a limited extent. It was a set-and-forget system, not something you could crank around every time you changed loads, but it was there if you trashed your scope and needed sights. I once had a guy drill and tap a Weaver base to take one of them. He's out of business now, but anyone who can drill and tap two holes should be able to handle this kind of work. They don't even need to be a gunsmith. Cost for the work was about $20 if I remember correctly.

The problem with having iron sights on a scoped rifle isn't mounting them or finding someone to do the work. It's the fact that the stock weld is different for the two sight systems. If the rifle is stocked for use with a scope, then it's extremely difficult to get your head low enough to see the iron sights. If it's set up for the irons that you rarely use, then your head will be waving around up in the air to get behind the scope. This problem doesn't exist with an AR because most sights are pretty close to the same height as the optic.

If you decide that you'll use the rifle with a scope most of the time, then having a second scope already zeroed and set in rings is a simpler and probably more practical solution. If you decide to use it with irons most of the time, then I'd look at moving your optic forward and mounting it very low.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfpatch View Post
    There is the Williams Gun Sight Ace In The Hole Scope Rail . On my Encore I've found it requires taller scope rings than I'd like, so I no longer use it with a scope. It does, I suppose, give me an option for a scope, but to use it with lower rings I have to remove the peep assembly.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    There is the Williams Gun Sight Ace In The Hole Scope Rail . On my Encore I've found it requires taller scope rings than I'd like, so I no longer use it with a scope. It does, I suppose, give me an option for a scope, but to use it with lower rings I have to remove the peep assembly.
    You can unscrew the aperture and have a functional ghost ring. It still might be too tall.

Okie John

A solution I have used, is the Talley aperture sight that goes onto their rear sight base. Another possibility is an Aimpoint carried in your pack.

When I have harvested a game animal, and am packing meat for hours or days using the rifle for defense against bears, it is nice to be able to pull the scope and go with irons or a sealed emitter red dot.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Just finished this thread. Great read and info.

I will have some decisions to make, subject to a few compromises. A decision making algorithm is in order, to help me decide!

All I know now is,
    - it will be .308 for my particular needs
    - I think having a DBM for my need of travel with the rifle unloaded in restrictive states, and then have easy and quick loading once at camp seems like a big plus
    - I’ll put a 1-5 or 1-8x on it, in a traditional mount
    - since it will be an overlanding centric rifle I may be willing to take a bit of a hit on weight

What I’d love is to get a custom job so I can add a bottom for more economical mags, threaded barrel and barrel mounted sights, but I want to keep cost lower, so at this point I’m willing to forgo those things and get some sort of Tikka compact with a 20” barrel, hopefully lightweight and threaded, or take the weight hit and get a Tikka CTR...decisions, decisions.
    Last edited by DacoRoman; 09-23-2019 at 04:57 PM.

Site Supporter
    You can unscrew the aperture and have a functional ghost ring. It still might be too tall.

Okie John
    Tried that. It works physically, but I haven't tried shooting it that way.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Tried that. It works physically, but I haven't tried shooting it that way.
    It works like a champ. The rear sight will seem to disappear, which puts the “ghost” in “ghost ring.” I have a pile of those apertures around here someplace.

Okie John
    Last edited by okie john; 09-23-2019 at 06:43 PM.

User Tag List