Page 148 of 160 FirstFirst ... 4898138146147148149150158 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,480 of 1594

Thread: Scout rifle, circa 2016

Site Supporter
    @StraitR Have you had any issue with the Omega loosening while shooting? I have the ASR mount installed on my rifle because it locks and because originally I had two rifles set up to use the Omega and the mount made it easy to swap it between them. But it does add some weight and a little length.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 910
Size:  14.7 KB

My wish list would be a double stack magazine so that a 10rd didn't extend below the trigger guard, ala Lee-Enfield. Second would be an after market rear sight with better adjustability and a forward extension with a charger clip guide. That would be more true to the original scout rifle concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    @StraitR Have you had any issue with the Omega loosening while shooting? I have the ASR mount installed on my rifle because it locks and because originally I had two rifles set up to use the Omega and the mount made it easy to swap it between them. But it does add some weight and a little length.

When I first attached it, and zeroed (about 5 shots), it loosened itself just a touch. I snugged it back down, and it didn't move after that (about 20 rounds). I did not over tighten it though, either time, as I didn't want to risk getting it stuck. Just good and snug.

I wouldn't use the direct thread on a semi-auto, but I'm comfortable with it on a bolt gun. Totally different firing schedules.

Site Supporter Notorious E.O.C.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I'd keep looking if you plan to shoot much.

A quick review of ammo prices shows that 308 is about a dime per shot cheaper than 7-08. That's for similar loads in both cartridges, and does not include milspec 7.62 NATO. $100 for every 1,000 rounds adds up quickly.
    Understood. I'm trying to decide if the ammo price is worth the recoil reduction, particularly in a lightweight rifle. I would be more inclined to favor .308 if I were going @StraitR's route of the CTR over the Lite Compact.
    The way we do science in XCOM is basically by shooting things first.
    - Jake Solomon

Quote Originally Posted by Condition Write View Post
    Understood. I'm trying to decide if the ammo price is worth the recoil reduction, particularly in a lightweight rifle. I would be more inclined to favor .308 if I were going @StraitR's route of the CTR over the Lite Compact.
    Take a look at 6.5Creedmoor instead of the 7mm-08. Both availability and prices are much better in the 6.5cm, and most hunting offerings are actually cheaper than their 308win counterpart. Hornady has offered a lot of cartridges, and kept the prices down, to drive the popularity. S&B recently started producing a 140gr FMJBT for plinking (about $13/box).

Between price, availability, and the PRS crowd, it's really taken off. Every major manufacturer is now making a 6.5cm gun in at least one flavor, most of which are sporter type hunting rifles. There are even 6.5cm offerings in the Ruger No. 1 and Springfield M1A, two very storied rifles with with traditionally conservative offerings. It seems 6.5cm is here to stay.

Any "deal" on a rifle not in 308 or 6.5cm will have those savings eaten up quickly in ammo price disparity.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorsai View Post
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 910
Size:  14.7 KB

My wish list would be a double stack magazine so that a 10rd didn't extend below the trigger guard, ala Lee-Enfield. Second would be an after market rear sight with better adjustability and a forward extension with a charger clip guide. That would be more true to the original scout rifle concept.
    Ruger's polymer magazines are quite a bit shorter than the metal ones.

http://shopruger.com/Ruger-Scout/products/2140/
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Take a look at 6.5Creedmoor instead of the 7mm-08. Both availability and prices are much better in the 6.5cm, and most hunting offerings are actually cheaper than their 308win counterpart. Hornady has offered a lot of cartridges, and kept the prices down, to drive the popularity. S&B recently started producing a 140gr FMJBT for plinking (about $13/box).

Between price, availability, and the PRS crowd, it's really taken off. Every major manufacturer is now making a 6.5cm gun in at least one flavor, most of which are sporter type hunting rifles. There are even 6.5cm offerings in the Ruger No. 1 and Springfield M1A, two very storied rifles with with traditionally conservative offerings. It seems 6.5cm is here to stay.

Any "deal" on a rifle not in 308 or 6.5cm will have those savings eaten up quickly in ammo price disparity.
    My only hesitation re: 6.5CM vs .308 is the barrel life. 2500 rounds is a lot for a bolt gun, sure, but vs. .308 it's a stark difference.

I've been pricing out bolt guns, still, but realistically my other fiscal priorities will keep this as a fantasy for now.

That said... I've been cooking up bolt gun builds in my head. Here is a cheaper one Ive been kicking around :

Ruger American Predator $380
    SWFA 10x Fixed $299
    TPS 30MM $95
    Magpul Hunter $280

Total : $1,054

That said, for not much more money I could get a Bergara HMR-14 or a Tikka T3x CTR and the same glass, which is why I probably won't buy this and instead will just wait patiently. I might also just wait for a good deal on a quality scope; My guess is that the rifle will not be the limiting factor for me early on.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 01-18-2019 at 06:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Ruger's polymer magazines are quite a bit shorter than the metal ones.

http://shopruger.com/Ruger-Scout/products/2140/
    Still longer than it should be. Oh well. Did run across a competitor though today. The Tikka T3x Arctic. Can't say I like the color scheme, but it's a 10rd magazine. The civilian version of the Canadian C19.

Name:  244BC9D234160D996BCEEC2233508AEEA33EF547.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  19.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    My only hesitation re: 6.5CM vs .308 is the barrel life. 2500 rounds is a lot for a bolt gun, sure, but vs. .308 it's a stark difference.

I've been pricing out bolt guns, still, but realistically my other fiscal priorities will keep this as a fantasy for now.

That said... I've been cooking up bolt gun builds in my head. Here is a cheaper one Ive been kicking around :

Ruger American Predator $380
    SWFA 10x Fixed $299
    TPS 30MM $95
    Magpul Hunter $280

Total : $1,054

That said, for not much more money I could get a Bergara HMR-14 or a Tikka T3x CTR and the same glass, which is why I probably won't buy this and instead will just wait patiently. I might also just wait for a good deal on a quality scope; My guess is that the rifle will not be the limiting factor for me early on.
    The barrel life is a negative when compared to 308. That said, most calibers fall short compared to the relatively slow 30 cal when it comes to barrel life. I think .243 is like 1500 rounds, or close to it. Don't hear anyone complaining about it, because most people just shoot a a couple boxes a year zeroing/hunting. Firing schedule plays a big role too. If you're shooting for groups (a box or two over a couple hours), that's much different than practical rifle drills. I want to shoot a lot, without limitation, so that was a major factor in my decision to go 308 (along with bulk ammo price and availability).

When sitting down and defining my purpose, I decided that I don't have a need for the ballistic benefits of 6.5cm at distance, since my shooting will be <600m and in. In fact, most of that will be <200m. But that's me and my needs, goals, and purposes. I came to the conclusion that nothing really compares to 308 for scout/general purpose/practical rifle use. Different calibers for different purposes. I understand the lure of 6.5's softer recoil, especially if the goal is an ultra-light rifle. I think the CTR shoots great, but it's just over 10 pounds with my optic choice, Rhodesian sling, ITS stock pack, and empty mag. Add another 14oz with the suppressor, and 308 recoil gets pretty stinking mild. Wouldn't want to hump it up and down mountains though.

I considered a more price friendly Ruger American Predator too, but like you, automatically factored in a Magpul stock. That immediately puts you in T3X Lite pricing, and kills the "I'll save some money" vibe. Of course, the CTR is a couple hundred more, but I found it easy to justify vs the $700 RAR + Magpul stock combo.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    The barrel life is a negative when compared to 308. That said, most calibers fall short compared to the relatively slow 30 cal when it comes to barrel life. I think .243 is like 1500 rounds, or close to it. Don't hear anyone complaining about it, because most people just shoot a a couple boxes a year zeroing/hunting. Firing schedule plays a big role too. If you're shooting for groups (a box or two over a couple hours), that's much different than practical rifle drills. I want to shoot a lot, without limitation, so that was a major factor in my decision to go 308 (along with bulk ammo price and availability).

When sitting down and defining my purpose, I decided that I don't have a need for the ballistic benefits of 6.5cm at distance, since my shooting will be <600m and in. In fact, most of that will be <200m. But that's me and my needs, goals, and purposes. I came to the conclusion that nothing really compares to 308 for scout/general purpose/practical rifle use. Different calibers for different purposes. I understand the lure of 6.5's softer recoil, especially if the goal is an ultra-light rifle. I think the CTR shoots great, but it's just over 10 pounds with my optic choice, Rhodesian sling, ITS stock pack, and empty mag. Add another 14oz with the suppressor, and 308 recoil gets pretty stinking mild. Wouldn't want to hump it up and down mountains though.

I considered a more price friendly Ruger American Predator too, but like you, automatically factored in a Magpul stock. That immediately puts you in T3X Lite pricing, and kills the "I'll save some money" vibe. Of course, the CTR is a couple hundred more, but I found it easy to justify vs the $700 RAR + Magpul stock combo.
    Out here I have access to a 1000yd range so 6.5CM is kinda tempting. Lower recoil is nice too. I'd likely be happy with either.

User Tag List