Page 7 of 160 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Scout rifle, circa 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    I think you'd be better served by getting a DMR rifle program set up.
    That's exactly what I recommended. A 1-6 red dot capable variable(Vortex 1-6?) on a 16" AR with a Geissele trigger. More versatile and almost anyone could grab it and deploy it in a pinch.

Quote Originally Posted by SMD View Post
    I had an early Ruger GSR and at least on my sample, the rail was attached via screws. A quick scan of Google images makes me think this is still the case.

In general, the Ruger Scout thing was just too heavy. I'd have to check a spreadsheet, but from memory, mine went north of 9 pounds all up with Ching sling and Leupold 2.5x IER scope. It was too heavy and clubby for my tastes. I tried the new polymer version and its balance and weight were much more manageable.
    I think the synthetic stock Ruger would be the way to go, as it is listed at 6.2 pounds. The Ruger problems needs some polishing of the action for decent bolt manipulation. Seems the jury is still out on their magazines?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I've actually been saving up for a Ruger GSR as my jack of all trades, master of none rifle. I'm after the 16" synthetic model, I think it's model number 6830. The short, synthetic model is lighter than the laminated wood stock models. Of the "OEM" .308 scouts (Mossberg, Savage, Ruger) available I like the Ruger overall and particularly for magazine availability/compatability. Where it uses an AI pattern mag it can use Magpuls new precision rifle mags so you have the option of running Ruger mags, AI mags, and Magpul mags, of various capacities. I also like that XS has some aftermarket rails and sights available for it as well. I know some of you guys are probably already familiar with it but I've learned quite a bit lurking at http://scoutrifle.org.

I haven't bought anything yet as I'm still studying but the CZ 527 is also of interest to me as well as the Ruger American Ranch, I just would prefer iron sights being available. In reference to Mossberg I read an interesting article about a Patriot series rifle that Dove's Custom turned into a scout-ish rifle.
    http://empty-cases.com/blog/the-patr...ut-sneak-peek/
    http://empty-cases.com/blog/dove-cus...t-first-shots/
    Last edited by MD7305; 07-29-2016 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Add Link

Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    What about rebarreling to a sporter contour barrel?
    Come to think of it, why not start with the T3 sporter (now the T3x) instead? You could add a McMillan stock and AICS-compatible bottom metal and have most of the CTR's features with less weight.

There is quite a bit of discussion about the Ruger Scout, and practical rifles in general, on the Hill People Gear forums.

I had an early Ruger GSR and at least on my sample, the rail was attached via screws. A quick scan of Google images makes me think this is still the case.

In general, the Ruger Scout thing was just too heavy. I'd have to check a spreadsheet, but from memory, mine went north of 9 pounds all up with Ching sling and Leupold 2.5x IER scope. It was too heavy and clubby for my tastes. I tried the new polymer version and its balance and weight were much more manageable.
    The rifle itself out of the box is 7.3 lbs. A ching sling, QD mount, and LPV scope don't weigh that much, do they?

Galco Ching Sling: 6.5 oz.
    Bobro 30mm QD scope mount: 9.5 oz.
    Trijicon AccuPower 1-4x Duplex: 16.2 oz.
    Total: 32.2 oz.

Ok, so yeah, I guess it would be that heavy. So in order to really be any lighter, you'd have to run with a super light polymer stock and/or go with a micro red dot.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    The rifle itself out of the box is 7.3 lbs. A ching sling, QD mount, and LPV scope don't weigh that much, do they?

Ok, so yeah, I guess it would be that heavy. So in order to really be any lighter, you'd have to run with a super light polymer stock and/or go with a micro red dot.
    The Leupold 1-4x VXII weighs 8.1 oz. Is the Trijicon or a red dot that much better that the weight is or switch to red dot is worthwhile?

Lighter mounts may be available also. Dont know.

I also am curious how much difference controlled feed actually makes in a bolt action. It isnt a feature of any self loaders we think of as reliable. The cartridge flopping round in the action isnt an issue with any bolt action Ive used, especially if its actually being run, not goofed around with in ultra slow motion. The double feed is an operator error issue isnt it? Not fully closing the bolt, then trying to chamber another round? I dont recall a bolt action actually trying to feed two rounds at once. The ejector in the bolt face seems to work OK on self loaders. It seems hard to believe anyone is operating a bolt action faster than a full auto M4 or similar to cause an ejection failure because the ejector couldnt get the empty out fast enough. Real questions. My perceptions may be incorrect.

Did someone mention US Mil sniper rifles being CRF? I thought they used Rem 700s for some time.
    Last edited by Malamute; 07-29-2016 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post

Took a few minutes to check my notes:

Ruger GSR SKU 6803: 7 lb 0 oz
    Wilderness Tactical Sling: 4.7 oz
    Leupold QRW rings SKU 49853: 5.0 oz
    Leupold scope SKU 58810: 7.5 oz
    Ruger 10 round steel mag: 8.5 oz

My earlier recollection was wrong. My long-gone Ruger Scout weighed closer to 8 lb 10 oz empty. Add ten rounds of .308 and the total weight was way north of Cooper's prescribed 3 kg weight limit. Even more damning, though, the rifle was an unbalanced mess. My pre-64 Model 70 is a hair heavier yet still feels livelier in the hands because of its balance.
    Last edited by SMD; 07-29-2016 at 02:43 PM.

Come to think of it, why not start with the T3 sporter (now the T3x) instead? You could add a McMillan stock and AICS-compatible bottom metal and have most of the CTR's features with less weight.
    Using Google, it looks like you don't need to replace the stock on a T3, just the bottom metal.

https://tikkaperformance.com/index.p...tikka-aics-dbm

I have two beefs with the Ruger Scout.

The first is the short barrel: the 308 is loud as hell in an 18" barrel. A 16" barrel is even worse. For a few shots, no problem. For sustained practice, big problem. The second is the balance. It's much too far to the rear, which makes the muzzle tend to float on fast shots.

I like the 20" barrel on the Sako Canadian Ranger rifle. Balance, of course, cannot be be determined without the rifle in hand. I'm also unconvinced that a DBM is necessary, or even a good idea. The infantryman in me sees it as one more thing to lose. It's too bad that we can't just call Sako, point out the parts we want, and have them cobble up our dream rifles.

Is anyone considering the Remington Model 7? I had one for a while, and aside from the short barrel, it was pretty sweet.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List