Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trimming Drill attachment for Handgun Loads

Trimming Drill attachment for Handgun Loads

I've come across the Worlds Finest Trimmer - and love the idea of using a drill to do my case trimming instead of doing it by hand.

Unfortunately though - all their adapters seem to be for long arms, and they don't have anything for 38 specials...

Does anyone use a similar device for handgun loads (particularly 38 specials), and if so - would you mind sharing where you sourced it from?

(FWIW this is for competition match reloads - for consistency)

Site Supporter
    Most people don't trim handgun brass.

I have never trimmed it, I do trim rifle brass.

If I were wanting to I'd use a Wilson shark fin.
    https://www.facebook.com/dave.bateman.311

kimbers have more issues than time magazine.

Site Supporter
    Never trimmed a pistol case in my life.

How much do you have to trim your loads now? Like the others, I've never heard of trimming pistol loads.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    How much do you have to trim your loads now? Like the others, I've never heard of trimming pistol loads.
    I don't have to trim much off - just more chasing consistency. I guess there's a reason these things aren't available in pistol caliber - sounds like there's not much of a demand for them...

Site Supporter
    The reason no one trims is because pistol brass typically doesn't strech much at at, your cases will usually crack before you reach max length.

That being said, I do have a shooting buddy that trims new brass to uniform his brass, once he has done it he doesn't do it again. All he is doing is squaring up the case mouth. He seems to think there is some value in doing it.

I'd actually forgotten about it until I was thinking about you post today.
    Last edited by dbateman; 07-30-2016 at 05:29 AM.
    https://www.facebook.com/dave.bateman.311

kimbers have more issues than time magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by dbateman View Post
    The reason no one trims is because pistol brass typically doesn't strech much at at, your cases will usually crack before you reach max length.

That being said, I do have a shooting buddy that trims new brass to uniform his brass, once he has done it he doesn't do it again. All he is doing is squaring up the case mouth. He seems to think there is some value in doing it.

I'd actually forgotten about it until I was thinking about you post today.
    That was my thoughts as well - to have everything uniform. I figure if I trim new brass, and then keep the brass in batches, even if it does stretch - it will stretch the same, thus having smaller groups.

I wonder what the A grade target shooters do.

I can't shoot good enough to realize any benefit from trimming pistol cases.

Nobody trims pistol brass. That's why nobody makes a trimmer for them.
    A71593

I've shot 1/2" three shot groups with my model 12 .38 at 20 yards using commercial cast 158 grain LSWC's, 4.2 grains of W231, no idea on the primers and untrimmed, mixed headstamp brass. I can't see the benefits of trimming pistol cases unless it's an OCD thing.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

User Tag List