Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First GSSF Event This Saturday. Tips?

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Interesting that you and White go after the most challenging accuracy stage first. Have you (both) found your precision is better when fresh vs some level of fatigue later that is more important than being more warmed up etc?
    More of the better gssf shooters in my area shoot in the opposite order from me - plates, M, 5 to Glock. Their logic is that the plates have low disaster factor as long as you don't leave any standing, which is true. So it functions as warm up for them. For me though, I feel like the level of care in sights and trigger is different enough between the plates and the tombstones that I think the plates are terrible preparation for the stages with tombstones. For me anyway.

I tried shooting plates first exactly once. In addition to being out of whack on the tombstones after the plates, it was also a long and hot day and I was tired by the time I got to 5 to Glock and pretty much sucked. Never going to shoot that order again.

That said, I think I'm in the minority in stage order preference. Most of the better gssf shooters I know do start with the plates and end with 5 to Glock, so it is worth considering.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

You're probably aware of this but since you said this is your very first competition, just want to start out by saying that GSSF events (like most competitions) operate on what's referred to as a "cold range", meaning your gun must be unloaded and stored in your range bag until the Range Officer directly tells you to take your gun out and load it when it is your turn to shoot. Do not handle your gun at any other time during the match, except at a designated safety area (generally a table right next to a berm that will be clearly marked). At a safety table you can handle your gun (keep it in a safe direction), but must not handle ammunition or magazines in any way. Other than the safety areas, you are free to handle ammo and load mags anywhere.

This being your first GSSF outdoor match, be sure to get signed up at the registration table for the separate gun drawing for new members. Tell your buddies, or don't lol.

Preliminary scores are usually posted on the Tuesday following the match, final scores (with who won what) will follow a month later. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    I've won 3 guns from performance in GSSF.
    I'm not a definitive source, but I play the game pretty well.

I agree wholly with Mr White's write-up, including the stage order.

Here's all I have for amplification:

Sign up online and arrive early. This will let you get your name on the stage lists so you can shoot and scoot.

Enter in at least 2 divisions, preferably ones that use the same gun (I shot a 17 in Civilian, Competition, and Unlimited). You can shoot twice in a row with no problem, 3 in a row if the guy behind you is ok with it. I shot the division I was least likely to win at 1st (Unlimited), then Competition, then the division I could likely win (Civilian). It costs more $, but increases your chances of leaving with a prize; by performance, random drawing, or both.

If you enter multiple divisions, take 4 magazines per division, and have them filled before going to the shooting point.
    Since there are 3 of us total, we were going to do a 3 man team and then compete individually. Do they accept non-Glock mags or is that a no no? If it's a no no, I don't have 4 OEMs that I can rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    I think it's the easiest way to increase speed without having the wheels fall off.
    Just a simpler mental approach overall in my opinion.

I shot my first GSSF at USPSA classifier speed and did not do well. My revised approach seemed to work better, resulting in more earnings.
    Totally agree, absolutely right. Too bad nyeti doesn't shoot glocks much. I think gssf would be about ideal for him since it is devoid of defensive trappings and tactics, requires pretty reasonable accuracy, and penalizes the crap out of you for not meeting that accuracy standard.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

I have it on good authority that if you do well enough panties will drop.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

So thanks to Michigan weather we had a torrential downpour to deal with first thing Saturday morning. Despite this, I was able to post a 132.01 second overall time in the Amateur Civilian division that I shot in. Looking at the scores and attendance from last year for my division, this would put me at around 36th place out of 95 people. Considering I've been shooting for around 4 years total and this was my first competition ever, I'll take it.

I can post more details later.

Further details as promised. Stages presented are in the order they were shot. Rain was VERY heavy in the beginning and went down to a light sprinkle by the time I had the opportunity to shoot Glock'M.

5 to Glock (variation IV):

Time #1 - 12.06s
    Time #2 - 13.90s
    Time #3 - 10.44s

Target #1 - A+B: 6
    Target #2 - C: 6
    Target #3 - A+B: 2, C: 3, D: 1
    Target #4 - A+B: 1, C: 2, D: 2, Miss: 1
    Target #5 - A+B: 3, C: 2, D: 1

Total Time: 71.4s

Glock'M (variation II):

Time# 1 - 11.37s
    Time# 2 - 8.58s
    Time# 3 - 8.85s

Steel Target #1 - Hit
    Steel Target #2 - Hit
    Steel Target #3 - Hit

Target #1 - A+B: 5, C: 1
    Target #2 - A+B: 6
    Target #3 - A+B: 1, C: 5
    Target #4 - A+B: 4, C: 2

Total Time: 36.8s

Glock The Plates:

Time #1 - 5.06s
    Time #2 - 4.5s
    Time #3 - 6.36s
    Time #4 - 7.89s

String #1 - 6 hits
    String #2 - 6 hits
    String #3 - 6 hits
    String #4 - 6 hits

Total time: 23.81s

Procedurals: 0

Total Match Time: 132.01s

Observations: Shooting in a torrential downpour with thunder overhead, wet and fogged glasses, soggy everywhere else, and a wet handling on my G19Gen4 made shooting...interesting. Shooting with both eyes open in a timed setting with multiple targets with iron sights was more challenging than I thought it would be. I had to switch to closing my right eye in order to make effective hits in certain situations. A white strip of paint on the front sight of my Defoor Tactical sights proved to be fairly useful in the wet and heavily overcast 9:30am conditions that I shot them in. I might play with how I paint my front sight, however. My consistency is obviously way off. Need more practice in shooting multiple targets at multiple distances. I need to shoot more against a timer, so I'll need to pick up one of those sooner rather than later.

I'll add more observations as they come to me.

Overall I had a blast doing this event. Totally looking forward to next year and I'm going to start looking into local USPSA.
    Last edited by spinmove_; 08-01-2016 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Overall I had a blast doing this event. Totally looking forward to next year and I'm going to start looking into local USPSA.
    I think that GSSF is a great intro into competitive shooting for those that are more casual shooters that want to improve.
    Can't recommend USPSA enough; it was the single largest factor in my individual drive to get better at pistol.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

Looks like I’ll have the opportunity to shoot two GSSF matches next year; one in Dallas in April and one in Port Townsend Washington.

It looks like a fun thing to get some competition in on.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    So thanks to Michigan weather we had a torrential downpour to deal with first thing Saturday morning. Despite this, I was able to post a 132.01 second overall time in the Amateur Civilian division that I shot in. Looking at the scores and attendance from last year for my division, this would put me at around 36th place out of 95 people. Considering I've been shooting for around 4 years total and this was my first competition ever, I'll take it.

I can post more details later.
    Lol, so people for some reason keep liking this post from 2016. I ultimately placed 40th in my division that year. I went to GSSF at the same location this past year. Same time, same division. I ended up placing 1st this year.

Still waiting for my prize G19 to come in. :P

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

User Tag List