Page 32 of 41 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Just when I thought I was over 1911's.....

This is my Wilson CQB in 9mm that I've had for a year. It's been with me though a season of shooting and a Frank Proctor class. I remember being a bit apprehensive about springing this much for a 1911 but after talking to Todd who swore that "You're world will change! Do it!" he was right. I've had 8 different 1911's before this but I love this one a lot.

Name:  vzbawidamann.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  65.2 KB

Name:  1911crowned.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  20.9 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ydennekb View Post
    I bought a Colt LW Commander in 9mm that I picked up two weeks ago. I just finished up the 418th round through it today, a single failure to feed the first round of Federal HST's (nosedive), it was the third magazine through the gun. No other issues since.
    How's the trigger?

Also what region of west Texas are you in? I love hiking out there!

One can never truly be over 1911s. Every handgun has a strength and a weakness against its peers. Well-built 1911s have some undeniable attributes that many other guns haven't gotten right to this day.

S/F

The trigger was pretty typical until today's session where it seems like it has really smoothed out. Honestly I can't really tell a good trigger from a so so trigger when I'm running drills though.

Unfortunately I'm in Odessa for the time being. You get out this way, give me a shout.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    How's the trigger?

Also what region of west Texas are you in? I love hiking out there!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GS5414 View Post
    One can never truly be over 1911s. Every handgun has a strength and a weakness against its peers. Well-built 1911s have some undeniable attributes that many other guns haven't gotten right to this day.

S/F
    God that gun is awesome in ways that I cannot put into words.

Site Supporter
    What are the keys to making a LW 9mm Commander work reliably enough to carry (and keep it working)? I am really looking the Colt.

Also, what are the thoughts on ambi vs single sided safeties? I am righty.

.....and yes, Odessa is not heaven on earth. After hiking the Guadalupe mountains I have stayed in both Odessa and Midland. Midland is no oasis, but there was a noticeable difference.
    Last edited by TheNewbie; 11-06-2016 at 12:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    What are the keys to making a LW 9mm Commander work reliably enough to carry (and keep it working)? I am really looking the Colt.
    I would buy it from DW or WC. The Colt might very well work, but it might not. For a carry gun I wouldn't mess with it, unless you don't mind having a relationship with a good gunsmith.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Don't overlook Nighthawk Customs.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I would buy it from DW or WC. The Colt might very well work, but it might not. For a carry gun I wouldn't mess with it, unless you don't mind having a relationship with a good gunsmith.
    Nothing is a sure thing in this area, but I agree with JAD completely. For my money, WC is pretty much the only way to go, especially in 9mm. I know some people are having good luck with the Colt's, but I also know some serious, connected shooters whose 9mm Colt's are not running very well.

Quote Originally Posted by GS5414 View Post

S/F
    I can only hope that I will use my 1911s enough that they will end up getting that level of character.

Minor hijack, what bolsters are you using GS5414? I'm looking HARD at some desert sand M45s on Gunbroker. Having trouble finding a holster.
    Shoot more, post less...

User Tag List