Page 28 of 41 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: Just when I thought I was over 1911's.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
    I went back and watched the shot show Hackathorn video and the Yeager Hackathorn video and they do appear contradictory. In the shot video he talks glowingly about the Combat Unit pistol and says it's a gun you load, stick in the holster, and do the job. Then toward the end he and Vickers talk about the lightweight commander and again they talk glowingly about it as a CCW gun and site it's usefulness particularly in the role of CCW in states with 10 round mag limits. Then in Yeagers video he talks about how if you buy a 1911 out of the box you're likely to be disappointed. It's hard to square the two statements. Possibly he's talking about 1911's as a whole and thinking more Taurus and Kimber then Springfield and Colt but again, watching the two videos back to back does make you scratch your head a bit.
    Perhaps the distinction is use. A lot of 1911's will do fine if you want to shoot a lifetime 5,000 rounds through them, a number that few CCW holders ever reach. If you want a highly accurate, high-round-count gun (something that most folks don't need) then an out-of-the-box 1911 might not be what you want (unless you plan to have it worked on).

Personally, I have little doubt that the average Colt will do fine if you load it, put it in a (relatively dry) nightstand drawer, and don't touch it for a few years. It will run the magazine in it and then some. But I'm also pretty sure that I'd want to strip and lubricate it before I tried to put 500-1000 rounds through it.

I agree with you. At the same time to boil both videos down, in one he says people will love these great out of the box 1911's and in the other he says people will more then likely be disappointed with out of the box 1911's. The two videos are contradictory.

I have always felt the best trainers, train you. They may bring up gear questions but in regards to operational concerns or where gear is kept. Once we get into ABC brand vs XYZ, I take a step back.

I think what this comes down to are these two things:

1) Pick a quality and known pistol
    2) Properly test and verify said pistol with at least a case of ammo and at least 50 rounds of your carry ammo of choice.

If the pistol works, then it works. If it doesn't, troubleshoot it and fix it. That's it. Now notice that I didn't say 1911. I said pistol. It doesn't matter if it's a Glock, 1911, or Chiappa Rhino. The process is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post

2) Properly test and verify said pistol with at least a case of ammo and at least 50 rounds of your carry ammo of choice.

If the pistol works, then it works. If it doesn't, troubleshoot it and fix it. That's it. Now notice that I didn't say 1911. I said pistol. It doesn't matter if it's a Glock, 1911, or Chiappa Rhino. The process is the same.
    You should mic drop. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Agree, that's way more of a mic drop

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post

This plus a thousand. You said what I've been trying to say in this and other threads only you said it better. I would just add a 3) Follow a maintenance schedule appropriate to the pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I agree with you. At the same time to boil both videos down, in one he says people will love these great out of the box 1911's and in the other he says people will more then likely be disappointed with out of the box 1911's. The two videos are contradictory.

Im not seeing the contradiction. Many out of the box 1911's are a disappointment. Colt manage to avoid that with guns more likely to work out of the box. My recent experience with some Colt Competition pistols seems to support that they work. Many guys experience with cheap (and sometimes not cheap) 1911's from some manufacturers support that they don't work.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    This plus a thousand. You said what I've been trying to say in this and other threads only you said it better. I would just add a 3) Follow a maintenance schedule appropriate to the pistol.
    If you're the kind of person that follows #1 and #2 without prodding then more than likely you're going to do #3 as a given. However, I totally agree with you in that #3 should definitely be the on-going followup to the first two. I think the old adage "take care of it and it will take care of you" is very true here. This is exactly why I keep precise round counts of all of my guns so that when any of them hits a milestone, it's time to change the parts and/or lubrication.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    This. I feel the majority of folks here are not novices and know this. We all have strong opinions on what works for each of us.

User Tag List