Page 29 of 41 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Just when I thought I was over 1911's.....

Well, I just fed my latent addiction. For the first time since about the turn of the century, I added a 1911; like the last one, a Baer. Pre-owned. This one probably started like as a Premier II, and was customized by John Harrison, with his characteristic rear sight that fits Bo-Mar-cut slides, his distinctive recoil spring plug, a very nicely-done mag well, a seemingly different thumb safety, and black DLC coating, plus his stamp on the frame.

Assuming this one proves reliable, I will have a 1911 to carry while my LBC TRS gets new sights; the tritium has dimmed, and I need a wider notch these days. Perhaps, a 10-8 rear sight?

I had thought I would wait until retirement before buying myself another 1911, but this one was locally available, and a review of my budget indicated enough flexibility. The sight picture ended my hesitation, and clinched the deal.

You know the rule about pictures......

Site Supporter
    +1! Let's see the pics!

Yeah.. let's see what that looks like!

These 1911 threads aren't healthy for my wallet...

Ordered my "dream" 1911 today. I've been debating about ordering a 1911 direct from Wilson for some time. It's taken me a few years of shooting to decide what I really prefer in a handgun, and especially prefer in a 1911.

Base gun is a 9mm CQB Elite

Main options:
    Black AT slide with polished slide flats
    Black AT frame
    Long (3 hole) trigger
    Battlesight rear sight
    Red fiber optic front sight

Detailed options and reasoning behind those options:
    Wide ambi safety (I ride 1911 safeties hard with my firing hand thumb and I find an ambi safety necessary for any WHO shooting/drills)
    Bulletproof round butt magwell (prints less than standard magwell when carried AIWB)
    Flush cut reverse crown muzzle (purely aesthetic)
    Checkering underneath trigger guard (reference point and increased friction for support hand grip)
    Spare fitted extractor (always good to have spares)
    Concealment grip safety & hammer (less printing when carrying)
    Fluted chamber (mostly aesthetics and helps clear some debris when heavily fouled)
    Ryan Wilson high grip mod (like to get my firing hand as high as possible)
    Ball endmill cuts and heavy machine chamfer (aesthetics)
    4.5# trigger weight (I like a slightly heavier trigger than Wilson's standard 3.5-3.75#)

And now the long wait begins! Until my Euro pellet dispenser arrives I'll have to contend with God's gun in JMB's preferred caliber.

Edit: Gonna make 3 changes to my order when I talk with someone from Wilson. Going to go with the aggressive Starburst grips, going to countersink the slide stop and do Vickers style slide serrations. I find Wilson's standard slide serrations to be a little narrow for my taste
    Last edited by MSparks909; 10-19-2016 at 05:36 PM.
    Shoot more, post less...

Quote Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
    You know the rule about pictures......
    1. Yes, but I will need to re-learn how to post images. My Flickr account disappeared, and I have yet to decide whether to trust any on-line hosting site again.

2. I hate to crow too loudly, too soon, about anything. Misfortune is likely to follow inflated expectations.

3. It is probably best not to further hijack this thread, so should probably start a new one, anyway.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    1. Yes, but I will need to re-learn how to post images. My Flickr account disappeared, and I have yet to decide whether to trust any on-line hosting site again.

2. I hate to crow too loudly, too soon, about anything. Misfortune is likely to follow inflated expectations.

3. It is probably best not to further hijack this thread, so should probably start a new one, anyway.
    I went through the same issues with Photobucket.

Easiesst way to post pictures is become a site supporter and upload them directly.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post

Yes!
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

Easiesst way to post pictures is become a site supporter and upload them directly.
    No, the first thing to get buggy and not work are images uploaded directly. Imgur is far superior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

I had not noticed that was one of the benefits of being a Site Supporter. I did recently upgrade, via PayPal, just to be supportive, but did not know there was anything more to it, than that.

User Tag List