Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on strong side OWB 9 o'clock carry (lefty) vs AIWB

Thoughts on strong side OWB 9 o'clock carry (lefty) vs AIWB

I've been a huge proponent of AIWB carry ever since I read about it in one of Todd's postings. For me, everything about AIWB makes sense, however, over three years and three different holsters with two different guns, I've never been able to carry for an extended period of time in what I would consider "comfort." Various holsters have offered me various levels of tolerability but never what I would consider comfort; and I'm a poster child for what I believe is considered the ideal body type for AIWB. I'm tall and athletic, small waist, flat stomach, large chest/shoulders/back, beautiful flowing blonde hair with some 5 o'clock shadow (depending on the day). So you get the idea, I'm incredibly good looking and AIWB should work for me, right?

The problem I have is that whether it is my G19 or my P30, hard belt or floppy ish belt, the holsters start digging into my pelvis after a while. I've used two different holsters from JM, one with a wedge and one without and I tried the CCC Shaggy with the leather backer, which I would say was probably the best I've used so far but still not what I would call "comfortable."

Recently I began carrying my G19 in my JM OWB holster at the traditional 9 o'clock and I have been very satisfied, I forget the gun is even there and for the way I dress and my body type it honestly conceals as well as AIWB. Initially my draw times are marginally slower, but I'm not really sure if that's because 9 o'clock carry is really slower or if it's because I'm just not used to drawing from that position yet.

Are there any AIWB holsters out there that offer what you would consider to be the same level of comfort as an OWB holster or is that just a trade off I have to deal with? Im strongly considering ordering a 5 shot SME. I haven't tried an all leather AIWB holster yet and I figure if I'm going to try one that's probably the best one to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mr. Goodtimes; 07-28-2016 at 08:15 AM.

Interested in your replies.

I'd like to carry my VP9 OWB at 9 (I'm a lefty too) if I could conceal it, but so far I have found I'd have to only wear big Hawaiian shirts, which really doesn't work for me all the time.

Sounds like you have experimented with the holster thing. Have you experimented with moving the pistol to centerline? Have you experimented with getting a shorter pistol? I love my G19 but make no mistake about it the 26 doesn't dig into the nether regions. The 26 also gives you the ability to move the pistol on the belt line further outboard before hitting the leg/pelvis as soon.

Also I found as a younger thinner lad with all my hair that AIWB was actually harder to conceal. Now as an older curmudgeon with less hair and an extra inch of waist it is easier and more comfortable to conceal. Go figure.

In the end wearing it behind the hip isn't the end of the world. Just work the pluses and minuses to your advantage. One thing for me wearing OWB as a skinny dude, I had a lot of problems with the cover garment hanging up on the front or bottom (depending on how I cleared the cover garment) of the holster no matter the design. IWB, for me, made all that go away. I'm not sure but I believe being a skinny dude my pistol was more up and down versus a love handle pushing the muzzle end inward thus eliminating the problem.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    I've been a huge proponent of AIWB carry ever since I read about it in one of Todd's postings. For me, everything about AIWB makes sense, however, over three years and three different holsters with two different guns, I've never been able to carry for an extended period of time in what I would consider "comfort." Various holsters have offered me various levels of tolerability but never what I would consider comfort; and I'm a poster child for what I believe is considered the ideal body type for AIWB. I'm tall and athletic, small waist, flat stomach, large chest/shoulders/back, beautiful flowing blonde hair with some 5 o'clock shadow (depending on the day). So you get the idea, I'm incredibly good looking and AIWB should work for me, right?

The problem I have is that whether it is my G19 or my P30, hard belt or floppy ish belt, the holsters start digging into my pelvis after a while. I've used two different holsters from JM, one with a wedge and one without and I tried the CCC Shaggy with the leather backer, which I would say was probably the best I've used so far but still not what I would call "comfortable."

Recently I began carrying my G19 in my JM OWB holster at the traditional 9 o'clock and I have been very satisfied, I forget the gun is even there and for the way I dress and my body type it honestly conceals as well as AIWB. Initially my draw times are marginally slower, but I'm not really sure if that's because 9 o'clock carry is really slower or if it's because I'm just not used to drawing from that position yet.

Are there any AIWB holsters out there that offer what you would consider to be the same level of comfort as an OWB holster or is that just a trade off I have to deal with? Im strongly considering ordering a 5 shot SME. I haven't tried an all leather AIWB holster yet and I figure if I'm going to try one that's probably the best one to try.

I'd say the bold gives you the best answer. I've used AIWB, and still do on occasion, but have found *for me* that ~3 o'clock is more comfortable for more of the day. I also take into account that being back in uniform it's where my gun is 12 hours of the day anyway, so I'm not noticeably slower from there than appendix. My main reason for using AIWB was working UC and purposefully putting myself in environments where unfamiliar folks would be in my personal space, occasionally even hugs, bump frisks, etc. I wanted the most control possible. In my current life there isn't reason for people I don't know getting that close to me. If I am hugging anyone today they either already know I'm packing, or I don't care if they find out.

I also found that constantly squatting down dealing with my kids and playing on the floor the AIWB would poke the shit out of me!!!

So, for me, back to ~3 (nine for you sinister handed types) with a leather IWB is a very good choice. I find it as comfy as OWB with a G19, it can conceal under anything (odds are if you're newer to this you are far more conscious of the gun than any of the zombies around you searching for Pokemon), and I've used this setup for a long time in all weather conditions. Even in the dog days of summer it's still very possible with a tshirt, shorts and flip flops.

Mileage varies!
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Nyeti"

Site Supporter
    The most comfortable and concealable position I have found is 3:30 IWB. This is far enough back to take advantage of the natural concave surface for concealment, without being far enough back to print badly when bending at the waist.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by JustOneGun View Post
    Sounds like you have experimented with the holster thing. Have you experimented with moving the pistol to centerline? Have you experimented with getting a shorter pistol? I love my G19 but make no mistake about it the 26 doesn't dig into the nether regions. The 26 also gives you the ability to move the pistol on the belt line further outboard before hitting the leg/pelvis as soon.

Also I found as a younger thinner lad with all my hair that AIWB was actually harder to conceal. Now as an older curmudgeon with less hair and an extra inch of waist it is easier and more comfortable to conceal. Go figure.

In the end wearing it behind the hip isn't the end of the world. Just work the pluses and minuses to your advantage. One thing for me wearing OWB as a skinny dude, I had a lot of problems with the cover garment hanging up on the front or bottom (depending on how I cleared the cover garment) of the holster no matter the design. IWB, for me, made all that go away. I'm not sure but I believe being a skinny dude my pistol was more up and down versus a love handle pushing the muzzle end inward thus eliminating the problem.
    I tried centerline and it was the most uncomfortable as the muzzle of the gun/tip of holster was always pressing at the base of my dong. I found the best position for me is around 11:00 to 11:30.

I never really gave much serious thought to a smaller gun, I like my G19 and I shoot it significantly better than any smaller pistol. The G26 grip is a touch too small for me to consistently get a good firing grip on when drawing. I also really like the idea of having 31 rounds at my disposal between the gun and a spare mag.

This makes sense. I personally don't have any trouble concealing, AIWB definitely works the best at that for me, but comfort is another story and it makes sense that having a little extra food stores would help pad things a little.

Also at 9:00 it isn't behind the hip, it's directly at my side. If I move it back to 9:30 (just behind the hip) it becomes hard to clear a cover garment. It's actually extremely comfortable to carry at 10:00 but then I run into concealment issues.

Quote Originally Posted by EM_ View Post
    I'd say the bold gives you the best answer. I've used AIWB, and still do on occasion, but have found *for me* that ~3 o'clock is more comfortable for more of the day. I also take into account that being back in uniform it's where my gun is 12 hours of the day anyway, so I'm not noticeably slower from there than appendix. My main reason for using AIWB was working UC and purposefully putting myself in environments where unfamiliar folks would be in my personal space, occasionally even hugs, bump frisks, etc. I wanted the most control possible. In my current life there isn't reason for people I don't know getting that close to me. If I am hugging anyone today they either already know I'm packing, or I don't care if they find out.

I also found that constantly squatting down dealing with my kids and playing on the floor the AIWB would poke the shit out of me!!!

So, for me, back to ~3 (nine for you sinister handed types) with a leather IWB is a very good choice. I find it as comfy as OWB with a G19, it can conceal under anything (odds are if you're newer to this you are far more conscious of the gun than any of the zombies around you searching for Pokemon), and I've used this setup for a long time in all weather conditions. Even in the dog days of summer it's still very possible with a tshirt, shorts and flip flops.

Mileage varies!
    Lots of stuff and things I agree with in this post. Thanks for the input! My experience mirrors yours with squatting. I've been carrying for about five years and am not very apprehensive about people seeing my gun, partly because of Pokemon go, partly because I do conceal about as well as possible and also partly because I just don't really care anymore what people think. I don't want people to see my gun for security reasons but the last thing I could care about these days is offending some retard in the grocery store.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I know this is the Internet, so I'm going to get dinged for not taking a side, planting my flag, and defending it doggedly until the bloody end...but there's more than one way to skin a cat. Appendix and strong side both work. They work slightly differently, they have different strengths and weaknesses, but they both work. Decide what's more important to you, the extra comfort of the extra concealment. The draw time on a timer isn't as important as you might imagine in a real situation, where things like distraction and waiting for your opening or seeing trouble coming and already having a gun out are significantly more important than .10 from a beep. It is my opinion that hip carry is the better option for the majority of people. If you are the majority of people are not is something I've no way of knowing.

So, to end a useless non-answer to your question: Think about it, decide what's most important to you, and go with the option that best matches up to those attributes.

I've found that OWB carry slightly forward of the hip - between 2:00 and 3:00 - works very well for me. I find it more comfortable than appendix carry, but still conceals (and draws) well with a closed front shirt. I use the Raven Concealment Systems Phantom OWB with the '0' cant/MD cut - which is actually designed for carry in this position per the RCS FAQ.

Minus / MD Cut - The Minus/MD Cut holster is designed to be carried primarily OWB on or forward of the hip (2:00 to 3:00 for right handed shooters). This cut is a straight drop holster (zero forward cant).
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Site Supporter
    I'm in a similar position and actually drafted an email to Tony Mayer with the same plight recently.

I'm a bit heavier than I was years ago (3 years of full-time college and work), and have a similar experience. I'm losing weight (down 12-15 lbs currently) and giving it one last ditch effort with a Glock 26 Gen 3 (it points extremely naturally for me), with Orange Trijicon HD's, and with a JM Custom AIWB Neoprene Wedge with ideally the belt clip pictured at picture number 5 located here (http://www.jmcustomkydex.com/p/AIWB.html). Then throwing some rubber Talon grips on it (it's not as grippy from the factory as Gen 4 but I like the pointing and my extended time with the SIRT has left me unconcerned about the controls). I'm also debating the 12 o'clock position as that seems more ideal.

I haven't bought the Glock 26 yet but I'm heavily debating it. I figured the Glock Gadget will come on board in the Fall, the holster will be 8-9 weeks, and I can order the pistol in the near future. I've rented the gun and can keep it in the head at 25 yards. I was stunned for the first time handling it.

I've tried a CCC Shaggy and Comp-tac Appendix "2 O'Clock" (while I waited for the Shaggy to be manufactured/delivered) with a Glock 17, and a Glock 19 and messed around with the Version 3 holster from JM Custom for small of the back (I've put it in AIWB when I've forgotten why I've forsaken AIWB several times). I'd like to carry a bigger gun but candidly with my day job I'm not allowed to carry and it's not conducive for it. 3 O'clock large OWB holsters just aren't in the cards for me I'm afraid.

However, I want something that I can clip a holster on a belt and carry. I've shot this exact pistol with stock sights and done very well at range and I can use a 17 round reload. It seems like it'll be a bit slower but almost as capable as a Glock 19 which I want.

God Bless,

Brandon

ETA: He also recommended a Mid Guard sweat guard for a similar condition.
    Last edited by BWT; 07-28-2016 at 10:21 PM.

User Tag List